Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about Nraas

I just downloaded Nraas Traveler and it has this warning on the website

WARNING:
When you decide to start a new game after a game session, exit the game completely and restart from desktop. When doing it through the main menu, such as Save current game - switch to Main menu - Start New Neighborhood, all existing in-world deceased Sims will be resurrected and dropped on a Venue or Empty lot chosen as their Residential home.
This might lead to corruption on that current game, so please Exit current game session and restart the game from desktop.

I'm just wondering if this is true. I must admit it's an inconvenience to be constantly quitting to desktop and reopening the game and I'm not sure how healthy this is for your computer and computer's memory as starting a program moves it to your memory and quitting removes it and then starting again and quitting...etc. etc.

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Yes, it's true. There was a post on Chatterbox about this not too long ago from someone wondering where all these dead sims came from.
    ArilyBoo wrote: »
    I must admit it's an inconvenience to be constantly quitting to desktop and reopening the game

How many new games do you start in a day? Unless I'm previewing new worlds I start a new game every few months. I personally don't find it a big deal. I never got into the habit of exiting to the main menu and almost never use that option. I don't think the warning applies to switching from one game to another, however I've heard that the game isn't good at clearing out all the memory from the old save and thus some people recommend always quitting to desktop. I do just out of habit.
    and I'm not sure how healthy this is for your computer and computer's memory as starting a program moves it to your memory and quitting removes it and then starting again and quitting...etc. etc.

It's perfectly fine. Data goes into your computer's RAM so often, just from the OS, browsing the internet, and using any program whatsoever, that the bit of RAM used by the game quitting and restarting is going to be a tiny fraction of the total data written. This is what RAM was built to do.

Also, I don't think data in RAM is "removed." I think it's just overwritten with new data, or perhaps those cells in RAM just aren't refreshed and the data is lost. I'm never heard that operating systems remove data from RAM, I thought they just freed it up to be used by other programs or the OS itself.

Anyways, I've used Traveler for years and wouldn't have my sims travel without it. I don't use the option to travel to other homeworlds often, but when I do it's really nice to send them somewhere different.
  • Options
    ArilyBooArilyBoo Posts: 346 Member
    Oh ok I don't start new games I just would like to switch between 2 or 3 current games I've had. Didn't know if it applied to switching between already saved games.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    I have to admit that restarting your entire computer every few minutes might put some excess strain on it and its components that they probably don't need. But quitting the program completely and starting it up again, even a heavy one like TS3, not so much. I would never switch from one game to another without quitting to the desktop first, no matter how inconvenient that becomes, for the reasons stated. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net