Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recording better quality videos

I'm aware that my question may have no satisfying answer, but I'd still like to ask : how do you record HD videos without horrible compression and without capturing the UI ?
Because right now, I have 3 choices that aren't ideal :
- recording uncompressed videos, which makes the game very laggy and I fear it might crash ;
- recording compressed videos, which doesn't slow down the game, but you surely know how terrible the compression level is ;
- using Fraps, which gives me exactly the results I want in terms of quality and performance, but which automatically captures everything including the UI.
Has somebody found a solution to this dilemma ? Like, found a way to capture with a relatively decent compression ?

Comments

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't recommend Fraps. I'm surprised it's not bogging down your PC. I record with Bandicam. It's much easier on your computer. But, as for capturing UI, I have no idea how to stop that. I'd think the only option would be either record with the in-game recorder (never tried, so I have no clue how that works. But what I've seen of others, it doesn't look that great). Or record in your recording software of choice in tab view.

Essentially, Fraps, bandicam or any other recording software are just game captures. If you chose record window instead of record game (I'm assuming Fraps has that option. I haven't recorded with Fraps in a few years) and recorded in tab view, the UI would be gone.

ETA: Actually, I think you wouldn't need to record window mode, you could do it in game mode and just do tab view.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    My computer bears Fraps very well, I never had any problems with it.
    Of course, tab view, why didn't I think about such an obvious solution. (facepalm) :s:D Thanks for the idea @ChelleJo !
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited December 2016
    I've experimented with OBS and recording TS3. After a lot of reading and some trial and error I found some settings which record fairly nicely without too much strain on my computer. I set the compression to be fairly low though (i.e. high bitrate). I was expecting to edit the videos and do a final compression to whatever YT recommends at that time, before uploading. I've only tested things out here and there, I have yet to sit down and seriously record something. (New Year's resolution, I guess.)

edit: OBS will record the UI, but you can use F10 in the game to hide the UI. Tab works as well.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    @TreyNutz I didn't know OBS, it's great that it's for Mac too, I will try it ! And I didn't know about F10. thanks for the tip !
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I was going to say F10. I use Fraps for screenshots to save in .png format and that's what I do to hide UI. I can only assume it works for recording too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/