Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Have You Stopped Playing Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    @nickibitsward that is what I find so tragic about the whole thing. Especially given that some of this team are of the teams for 2 and 3 too.

I cannot imagine who thought it was a good idea to trash their previous work to try to boost the appearance of TS4 either :( TS4 should stand on its own without needing to do that.

I can only imagine that the team members from TS2 and 3 are working at desks in the corner, getting drinks or sweeping the floor, because I find it difficult to imagine they had anything to do with this.

And I agree TS4 should've been able to surpass TS3 (maybe even TS2) without anyone needing to say it, that they have to put down previous versions (which coincidentally happens a lot with EA series) is usually a sign that the current game is no good.
    raw
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    So even using an offer about trying WoW for free in a month has never tempted me. But seeing the WoW videos on YouTube is enough to see the huge difference between the video quality between WoW and TS3 and TS4. This isn't any surprise because WoW is an online game and online games need much smaller files to be able to contain all the information needed to be sent to other players.

This is incorrect. It's all dependent on what is in the actual game. Online or offline.
    No. Online games need to transfer files with informations over the Internet to update what you see on your screen. Those files need to be small or your game would freeze until your game has downloaded enough information to move on because transferring files over the internet is still so many times slower than just loading them from your own ram or harddisc.
    Therefore the screens in WoW differs from TS3 or TS4 in the following ways:
    3. The characters are standard characters that can't really be modified.
    4. The buildings are standard buildings that can't really be modified.
    5. The landscape is a standard background that can't be modified.
    6. The visual effects consists of a lot of small colored dots which are quite impressing. But they are small without details and don't take up much space in the files anyway.
    7. There aren't very many characters on any screens and they are in no way as detailed or have the same degree of customization as the sims have.

1. Well, yes, one game is an RPG, the other is *supposed to be* a game surrounded around customization. However, there is a lot of customization involved in WoW, despite the fact you are limited to face presets. There are far more clothing/armor/etc. options in WoW than in TS4, for instance.
    2. See 1
    3. The landscape is not a background. Anywhere in WoW you see, you can walk to, and get to.
    4. There is a ton of detail in the newer locations than in the vanilla locations. This serves as proof that an actual solid foundation is capable of many things, including great graphical updates.
    5. I see more characters in WoW than I do in TS4 lots. Regardless, this point is moot, since The Sims has simulated characters, rather than ones actually controlled by people. Far more complex and straining.
    You miss the point because the game doesn't download the whole screen as a picture. Instead in just download enough information to rebuild the screen such that it can show it. The standard backgrounds are files on your harddisc and the current background is already in RAM on your own computer. Therefore your game only need to download information about how much the background has moved. It doesn't download information about details in the background because it already has those details.

The same is the case with standard characters. Your game knows how they should look. So it only needs to download information about where to place them in the landscape. This information is downloaded in the form of coordinates. But if the characters aren't standard characters but heavily modified by the player then much more information needs to be downloaded.
    The Sims Freeplay has some simplifications to make it possible to be an online game. But even so it is a compromise and the screens aren't nearly as simple as the WoW screens are. Therefore there are load screens when a sim visits a neighbor's town and it is only a copy of his town that our sims can visit. Also only one sim can be on visit at a time and we can't upload our town to the cloud while a sim is in a neighbor's town.

What do you mean by screens? Loading screens?
    Screen pictures.
    So because a game has a more complex loading screen, it makes it a better, more complex game? What?? Freeplay, no matter what you are referring to by 'screens' is by no means more complex than WoW. It is a mobile game limited by mobile hardware.
    The houses in Freeplay aren't standard houses. They are built by the player and can be modified in thousands of ways. So the game needs to download a lot of information when we visit a neighbor's house in Freeplay. Therefore there is a loading screen which usually takes some time before we can see the house, all the objects and all the simmers in it. A game like WoW has to be able to show the other players' characters much faster.

It doesn't matter if it is a PC game or a mobile game you play online because it is the speed of the internet that sets the limits. Mobile games sometimes have less screen resolution though because they aren't meant to be shown on as big screens. But even this isn't always the case anymore.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member

OK back on toppic (never mind how much educated or powerfull we simmers are) I just stoped playing TS4 because I get much more fun playing TS2 and TS3
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    MrHawk wrote: »
    In direct response to the original topic:

I stopped playing for two simple reasons.

1: I felt the game was rubbish.
    2: I felt the game, as it was released, was an insult to all of the people who had supported the series with their purchases, since its inception.

I felt the game was rubbish because it was dumbed down, stripped of what I believe - based on historical inclusion - to be base game content. Because the sandbox aspects were removed. Because the simulator players were forgotten. Because family players were forgotten. Because colony players were forgotten. Because there are essentially only two life stages. Because my creative tools were taken away. Because the AI was plum. Because it appears as if they missed a year or two of brainstorming and made the game out of pieces of broke mismatched crockery.

I felt the game was an insult because all of the money funnelled into this franchise could have built a stellar game. And we were sold a mishmash pile of scraps with a snake oil sticker on the front. These people went to university, I assume. They had fifteen years of data and history and goodwill to draw on. And they still failed to beat a game they released ten years prior. Pretty shameful.

I've only recently just seen this term once before: what are colony players? How do they play?
    I love learning about all the different play styles.

• Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    It started with TS2. Start a new empty town, place one lot and move a family in. Build them up a little, then place a new lot and add a new family. Build community lots appropriate to the families living there, then keep expanding the story.

It was great fun playing that way, since the story of each individual family altered the town accordingly.

Sadly, the blank slate playstyle was taken away, or at least made much harder with the TS3 style, then removed completely with the fake backdrop nonsense of TS4.
  • Options
    That actually does sound really interesting. I may have to try it sometime. I do love the build and create Sims, so that sounds right up my alley. It also sounds like it would be good for story tellers too.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    That actually does sound really interesting. I may have to try it sometime. I do love the build and create Sims, so that sounds right up my alley. It also sounds like it would be good for story tellers too.

I called myself a colony player long before I ever heard of others using the term. I would build my world, the homes, the sims, the businesses, etc. From there, the world would grow, businesses would expand, and so on. I usually start with around 20 families and only allow them to interact with each other (the colony).

I do this in 3 with mods now. I find it more rewarding and diverse to play that way.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited December 2016
    It started with TS2. Start a new empty town, place one lot and move a family in. Build them up a little, then place a new lot and add a new family. Build community lots appropriate to the families living there, then keep expanding the story.

It was great fun playing that way, since the story of each individual family altered the town accordingly.

Sadly, the blank slate playstyle was taken away, or at least made much harder with the TS3 style, then removed completely with the fake backdrop nonsense of TS4.

I'm not sure if I am a colony player or not. I choose a town, get rid of all the townies, all the houses and most of the community lots. I build the town up first, using buildings I like from other worlds then start on my families. I have one main sim I've had for years but usually do all the rest in CAS though sometimes I import other families/single sims from other worlds if I like their stories. Then I interweave all the stories/bios, give them all houses and skill them up and get them started on their careers. I've played this way in Sims 2 and 3.

Sims 4 does not have that for me.

• Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I am one of the players who did like sims 4, but I haven't played it for months. Only opened it once when CL came out. Looked around and closed it again. I can't say I miss the game. I am a supernatural and pets fan and both are still not in the game.
    I always loved sims 3, but the long loading killed it for me the last year of releases. I tried everything to get a smoother game, but still lags to much. Maybe it would be more playable without my cc, but I just can't play sims 3 without it.
  • Options
    LadySpectrumLadySpectrum Posts: 27 Member
    Loading. Screens. Break. Immersion.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Loading. Screens. Break. Immersion.

They didn't so much in TS2, but that was because what happened during the game was so detailed the loading screens heightened anticipation.

With TSchore it's just so boring and empty that the loading screen only serves to heighten that feeling instead.
    raw
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I didn't read through every response so sorry if I am repeating..

In my opinion, the simple answer is the game is too predictable which makes it boring. You can have your Sims 4 sim wake up and map the whole day for them and it will happen just as planned. It is a rare case when something unplanned happens.

When I start my Sim day with the Sims 2, I have a plan but there is like a 50% chance it could change. A job chance card can cause a sim to get fired or a lose a skill or lose money anything. I have had a Sim lose all their money with a job chance card while the maid was cleaning and the maid got angry because they didn't have enough money to pay so the maid took an item..LOL A Sim can be gardening in the yard and a thunderstorm could roll in and lightning could strike the sim. You could leave the Christmas tree lights on and cause a massive fire which could kill sims. Lightning hitting a tree can sometimes cause massive fires. A dog could come by and your sim dog is out in the yard and the two dogs could start fighting. I mean there is just so much randomness going on that it makes the game entertaining because you never know if your sim will make it through the next day..LOL

When I see a spouse roll a fear of seeing their loved one die, I understand it. You really never know if they are going to die hahah. The Sims4 team really needs to work on this. If a lot is in an earthquake zone, there needs to be some danger associated with it. Dying from Laughter or embarrassment is just silly and you really have to work at it. I can walk away with Sims 4 running and nothing happens. The last time I walked away from Sims 2, there was a massive fire that killed a sim.

I really think Sims 4 could be great if they stop with making everything so cuddly. I mean even the bear and raccoon suits just bring home my points. Even the rats and roaches seem cuddly. Sims should jump on the chair if they see a rat. Not stare shocked saying what's that...LOL Even in Sims 2 they at least tried to stomp on the roaches or spray without my intervention.

Anyways starting to ramble I think I made my point.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member

I have never heard of that. It's an intriguing idea for TS2. Many thanks.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2017

I have never heard of that. It's an intriguing idea for TS2. Many thanks.

I am up to over 300 playable sims at this point in S2. This is not something you can do in any other Sims game. It all started with around 30 sims that colonized the world.Each one is an offspring of that colony. It is indeed very intriguing.

Each one met up with another in the original colony due to their atractions. Only those with 3 bolts are allowed to pair up. Some may die a spinster or otherwise, etc. It makes for a very interesting game that never grows dull.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited January 2017
    If you stopped playing Sims 4 after the first expansion raise your hand in the air!
    Woop! No pardon! Woop no recourse! woop no living in the past now say it..
    Woop no pardon! Woop no recourse..no toddlers woops you made a stinky in the..
    Woop no toggles! Woop no prisoners...woop no Sims gettin' mad at each other,, say it..
    Woop no elevators goin' up or down..say...turn that frown upside down...say
    Whoop you will be livin' it large in the Sims zone (sooner or later)
    and when the next one drops you'll be sure to be a hater..cause that't's how entropy rocks...

Now be mad at me,
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    If you stopped playing Sims 4 after the first expansion raise your hand in the air!
    Woop no toggles! Woop no prisoners...woop no Sims gettin' mad at each other,, say it..
    and when the next one drops you'll be sure to be a hater..cause that't's how entropy rocks...

Now be mad at me,

I feel like there's a tune or a mic drop in there somewhere!
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

Now be mad at me,

I feel like there's a tune or a mic drop in there somewhere!

No mic drop. Just...right brain on overdrive.
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member

Now be mad at me,

Are you okay?
  • Options

Now be mad at me,

Are you okay?

Just peachy. and you? :)
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member

Now be mad at me,

Are you okay?

I'm great as well.
  • Options

Now be mad at me,

Are you okay?

I'm great as well.

:+1:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    OxanaPihlajamaaOxanaPihlajamaa Posts: 153 Member
    I don't think I have ever uninstalled a single game so many times. I always get my hopes up after some time of not playing TS4 that it will get better this time and that I have a story and yadda yadda, but when I start the game, it starts to seem the same as my previous one and the one before. Plus, the Sims lag quite often, but that's my computer's "fault"... Their "personalities", however, bug me way more. I was able to play TS3 even on a lagging pc because it still had quite a lot to offer.

Recently I stepped back completely and went for TS2 and The Sims Life Stories. And I'm surprised how much more real they seem. I care far more for the interactions and feelings rather than the graphics. Plus I can always have CC. Here, when your partner's spouse sees you two doing romantic stuff, they get really angry, like really angry, they fight and then cry... (and then the spouse keeps knocking your trashcan over again and again). Talking from my own experience, I loved this. When I saw the reactions in TS4, consisting of stomping and waving your hands, and then happily continuing in the conversation with you and their spouse who had just kissed you passionately in front of them, I get really sad. These pretty people-ish creatures cannot feel, and if so, not really differently from other creatures.

So gimme the sweet interactions, feelings, life-like drama (burglars etc), and I might give it a try again.