Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Laptop, Game Settings Question

Hello fellow simmers,

I finally have a gaming laptop!!!! I'm so happy because I could finally enjoy my game with the proper graphics. Anywho. I am new to this and don't know what my settings should be like. On my old laptop, everything was on low.

My new specs are:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4GB GDDR5 dedicated)
•15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
•8GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8GB)
•1TB 7200 rpm SATA+ 128GB M.2 SSD

With that said, what are the recommended settings should be for: the refresh rate, vertical sync, edge smoothing, 3D scene resolution, uncompressed Sim texture, post processing effects and laptop mode?

Also, I found the thread where you could put Sims 4 on the dedicated card, but I saw there was something where you could change the fps rate in Nvidia control panel. Should I change that?

*I'm not here asking for any laptop recommendations or which brand is better or which specs I should have gotten or so. I'm content with my laptop and don't plan on changing.*

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You are able to play with the highest settings, but make sure to enable V-Sync. :)

@phoebebebe13 may be able to explain how to enable V-Sync via NVidia's control panel.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    IceDrizzle27IceDrizzle27 Posts: 648 Member
    @Colton147147 may I ask what is vsync and it's benefits to the game?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited December 2016
    Your fps should sync with your monitor. It prevents screen tearing and your video card working too hard and overheating.

Your laptop will have two video cards and you want to make sure it's using Nvidia not intel http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1

Make sure the game is installed on your second hard drive. Your ssd is too small for windows and the game

I don't have the game installed but @DeKay can help you set the game up. They have a GTX 960m laptop and can give you the best settings for your laptop
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hello fellow simmers,

I finally have a gaming laptop!!!! I'm so happy because I could finally enjoy my game with the proper graphics. Anywho. I am new to this and don't know what my settings should be like. On my old laptop, everything was on low.

My new specs are:
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4GB GDDR5 dedicated)
    •15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    •8GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8GB)
    •1TB 7200 rpm SATA+ 128GB M.2 SSD

With that said, what are the recommended settings should be for: the refresh rate, vertical sync, edge smoothing, 3D scene resolution, uncompressed Sim texture, post processing effects and laptop mode?

Also, I found the thread where you could put Sims 4 on the dedicated card, but I saw there was something where you could change the fps rate in Nvidia control panel. Should I change that?

*I'm not here asking for any laptop recommendations or which brand is better or which specs I should have gotten or so. I'm content with my laptop and don't plan on changing.*

Thanks.

I turn on the v-sync in game as this helps with the screen tearing. I still get screen tearing if I have the in game one off but the one in Nvidia control on. Refresh rate is set to default but you can put it to 60. I don't think it makes much of a difference but this depends on your computer.
    Edge smoothing is the highest, 3D scene resolution is the highest, uncompressed texture and post processing effects are on if you don't mind the distance blur- turn it off if you don't the blurring distance, and laptop mode off.

The thread where you assign your card, take a look at that so that you're not playing the game with your Intel card which I'm assuming you would have on your laptop. And I don't think you can change the fps; it's usually about 50-60fps and 40 when scrolling around or on zoom out.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2016
    Congrats on the new computer. :) it's going to feel like a whole new game going from low to ultra.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    IceDrizzle27IceDrizzle27 Posts: 648 Member
    Thanks to everyone for your help...I hope I could post a before and after pic once ts4 finish downloading and I start playing...I'm so eager to see how everything looks, I just might cry.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2016
    Haha, I feel your excitement!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif