Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the city is completly underwhelming

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    baddazoner wrote: »
    baddazoner wrote: »
    so glad i got this game on sale because if i paid full price i would be putting in for a refund

the "city" in this game is just so underwhelming! it's miniature (it's actually a joke how small it is) not even that many apartments and really could use another penthouse or two

it's so small that you can't fit anything in it.. there really should be bigger sections so it actually feels like a city so you can have a bar in one lot and a restaurant in the other it apartments and office buildings all around it

instead you get this cramped miniature "city" with a apartment or two a bar or whatever and a place for the festival

Really one or two Apartments? as far as My paper work reads, I have about 14 Apartments filled with My creations, and like 2 more to fill, so I do not think that City Living is that small, and I am not even a City person, I am still waiting for My Gothic stuff to finally be added, so I will have to disagree bout City Living being small .

Its miniature for a city the fact i cant have a section of the city have its own restaurant bar and cafe without having to have them in a all in one building like the other poster suggested is highly annoying

Cities are supppsed to be big not limited in size like everything in this game

Well that would be true if it was open world, but it is not, so I do not expect any of the packs to be the way they were before, I am only hoping for My Gothic stuff to finally show up, as well as Pets with My Japanese Chins in the Breed section this time, other then that The Happy go lucky packs, I just take at face value, cause I want the doom and gloom section of the game, that is what I am interested in, :)
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    How is the EP underwhelming in what way? Granted I didn't pay full price for the EP I only paid 27 dollars for it I felt like it was the one EP that was worth 40 dollars.

Because once you start counting out the lots its actually no bigger than the worlds we already have. Which is a problem imo. It is a city I expect MORE lots than any of the current worlds we have now because that's one of the most defining characteristics of living in a city. We don't have multi-use lots for communities so it limits things A LOT. Right now a modder is currently working on changing up the way "visitor jobs" work in the sims 4 so that we might be able to have more diverse community lots, but really we shouldn't need a modder to do this.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 I never considered the University "apartments" to be real apartments either though. You couldn't really assign NPCs to a specific apartment in any real fashion. They were also just random roommates added essentially to your family since you could control them and you had to keep your apartment door locked to just yourself to keep them out which made it difficult to have people over- nearly impossible in fact without the NPCs just barging in as well. Also, as I recall any food added to one fridge on the lot appeared in every fridge meaning they could eat up all your food. It was just a communal living situation more like a Frat House at best and had nothing really to do with true apartments. In fact I can essentially do the same thing in Sims 4 using the door locks and have been since there was first a door lock mod available. So, no you can't create apartments in the Sims 3 in any better way than the Sims 4.
    I quote:
    The best I hoped for was the ability to build our own apartments (something missing in and requested since the Sims 3) and even that did not come to fruition.
    With NRaas Mastercontroller you can create any sim you want and turn them into a roommate. Without mods you can take any roommate into CAS and adjust them till they are exactly the way you want. You cannot control them (you can't control the other students on the campus, you can't control roommates, I already tried this with pets because I preferred the TS2 system where pets are uncontrollable and it works). You're right about the fridge, but I didn't say it's better than Sims 4 ;) I said it's not as 'missing' from the game as you claimed.

A rooming house is not an apartment- sorry but if you truly believe that then maybe you should work out at EA/Maxis. Your definition of apartments dovetails right into their definitions of roommates. And yes, when I built and set a lot as "apartment" in the Sims 3 the game auto filled any empty family slots with random controllable "roommates". Sure I could change their appearance and such through CAS but how does that make the building an apartment? It doesn't. How does it even make the controllable roommate a true roommate? It doesn't. In fact the Sims 4 "apartments" are far better in that respect then 3 with having families you can place in yourself BUT not control while playing your primary family BUT you still can't create the buildings themselves, yourself. So, the statement still stands, I couldn't build true apartments in 3, only strictly defined "penthouses" with an unrealistic NPC neighbor set up OR I could build a rooming house with full kitchens/baths and set up door locks with a handful of other sims as "roommates" just as I can still do now. Those aren't apartments.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    @JoAnne65 I never considered the University "apartments" to be real apartments either though. You couldn't really assign NPCs to a specific apartment in any real fashion. They were also just random roommates added essentially to your family since you could control them and you had to keep your apartment door locked to just yourself to keep them out which made it difficult to have people over- nearly impossible in fact without the NPCs just barging in as well. Also, as I recall any food added to one fridge on the lot appeared in every fridge meaning they could eat up all your food. It was just a communal living situation more like a Frat House at best and had nothing really to do with true apartments. In fact I can essentially do the same thing in Sims 4 using the door locks and have been since there was first a door lock mod available. So, no you can't create apartments in the Sims 3 in any better way than the Sims 4.
    I quote:
    The best I hoped for was the ability to build our own apartments (something missing in and requested since the Sims 3) and even that did not come to fruition.
    With NRaas Mastercontroller you can create any sim you want and turn them into a roommate. Without mods you can take any roommate into CAS and adjust them till they are exactly the way you want. You cannot control them (you can't control the other students on the campus, you can't control roommates, I already tried this with pets because I preferred the TS2 system where pets are uncontrollable and it works). You're right about the fridge, but I didn't say it's better than Sims 4 ;) I said it's not as 'missing' from the game as you claimed.

A rooming house is not an apartment- sorry but if you truly believe that then maybe you should work out at EA/Maxis. Your definition of apartments dovetails right into their definitions of roommates. And yes, when I built and set a lot as "apartment" in the Sims 3 the game auto filled any empty family slots with random controllable "roommates". Sure I could change their appearance and such through CAS but how does that make the building an apartment? It doesn't. How does it even make the controllable roommate a true roommate? It doesn't. In fact the Sims 4 "apartments" are far better in that respect then 3 with having families you can place in yourself BUT not control while playing your primary family BUT you still can't create the buildings themselves, yourself. So, the statement still stands, I couldn't build true apartments in 3, only strictly defined "penthouses" with an unrealistic NPC neighbor set up OR I could build a rooming house with full kitchens/baths and set up door locks with a handful of other sims as "roommates" just as I can still do now. Those aren't apartments.
    What do you mean by controllable? There must be a misunderstanding because I repeat, they aren't. But it's so apparent they aren't, it makes me wonder if you are referring to something else. Controllable to me means seeing their icons while playing, being able to select them and control them. Is that not what you mean? You cannot do this with roommates in Sims 3.

I'm not sure what you define as 'a real apartment'. Isn't an apartment nothing more than a collection of living spaces in one complex where people who aren't part of the same household live their own life? And isn't that achievable by using the advanced possibility to set doors in TS3 and University roommates? Yes it is. The fact I have to jump through hoops to achieve it for me in fact is big fun, a challenge. For me this is gameplay. Comparable I guess to my son building his own zoo in Minecraft, using his imagination and modded animals. That is my idea of playing a game. And if it will work, if it will feel as if my sim is living in an apartment, then I'll be satisfied. Even when there are some downsides (like the fridge and like having to change the settings of doors every now and then).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    Haha, I'm still waiting for 50% or more discount for it. Hope you can find something interesting to play in the city. ;)
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • Options
    I quote:

What do you mean by controllable? There must be a misunderstanding because I repeat, they aren't. But it's so apparent they aren't, it makes me wonder if you are referring to something else. Controllable to me means seeing their icons while playing, being able to select them and control them. Is that not what you mean? You cannot do this with roommates in Sims 3.

I'm not sure what you define as 'a real apartment'. Isn't an apartment nothing more than a collection of living spaces in one complex where people who aren't part of the same household live their own life? And isn't that achievable by using the advanced possibility to set doors in TS3 and University roommates? Yes it is. The fact I have to jump through hoops to achieve it for me in fact is big fun, a challenge. For me this is gameplay. Comparable I guess to my son building his own zoo in Minecraft, using his imagination and modded animals. That is my idea of playing a game. And if it will work, if it will feel as if my sim is living in an apartment, then I'll be satisfied. Even when there are some downsides (like the fridge and like having to change the settings of doors every now and then).

I don't have time to go in game now but I'll post screenshots from my "apartment buildings" in Lucky Palms illustrating what i mean by the game randomly assigning "roommates" to the building and how their icons are in fact in the household panel and they are controllable. Then maybe it will be clearer. But by apartments, I mean essentially what the Sims 4 has set up BUT with the ability to be built by the player and placed in all the towns.
  • Options
    As well, I didn't have a problem with unlocking the doors in my Sims 3 "apartment" set ups. I had a problem with that it would then allow all the other people living in the structure free access and they would flood in.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    @JasonAnthonySterling I have yet to find out what the pros and the cons will be and if it will function the way I hope it will (I'm a builder who strictly builds to play) so who knows it will turn out to be a disappointment. I'm not going to set the building as an apartment by the way (which I take it is the Late Night method). As for setting the doors, this is going to be my method.

Apartments_zps2mvo44cp.png

My sim will be able to enter every 'home', the roommates however can only enter their own. The beds are set too obviously. I'm going to use tips I got from @HappySimmer3, who has built an apartment, using both roommates and the NPC system of Late Night. I'm not sure yet whether I will do that as well, or if I'll stick to just roommates.

I created four cats and put them into my world. Then I used Mastercontroller to turn them into roommates, after which they came running to my house and now they live there. I can't control them though, it literally works the way pets work in Sims 2. And this is my sim - the girl playing the violin - in the dorm she's living in during her study.

Cameron_0248_zpsbsfbhgyq.png

The other sims are living there as well but I assure you I don't control them. They are in the household icon when I start the game, but their icons aren't in the UI while playing. I'm controlling one sim there, my heir.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    There is also a nifty apartment mod for TS3 that lets you set it up like TS2. You place a call box and create families and set their funds. Then when you play a family, the other is inactive (you have no option to select them) and you only use the funds of the family that you set. Anything they earn stays with them and can't be accessed by the other families. You use the door lock system to keep them divided. It's pretty cool. My town has a whole neighborhood of rowhouses that have several families living in each that I play in rotation. Just like TS2.

I hope someone creates a mod like that for TS4 because the apartment limitations in that game are a real drag.
  • Options
    Upon looking up my old apartment in Lucky Palms you're right- there are three roommates in there and they are not controllable- there are four other sims in the building that are controllable and all seven were placed by the game- not me. Originally all seven were playable but I remember a couple dying because I wouldn't control them and stuff would break and they couldn't shower or use the toilet because they wouldn't fix it and they would never feed themselves and eventually a couple died- they must have been replaced by "roommates". Even at that though the building really doesn't work like an apartment still- you can only have eight sims total living on the lot which precludes very many separate households, even though I only had three units and six sleeping places in a total of three double beds the game kept adding enough sims to equal eight total because it was an "apartment" and the problem with privacy is still there- it's ridiculous to unlock your door so someone can visit and have everyone else in the building flood in to use your bathroom or exercise equipment or eat the food on the counter. Yes, I know there are mods available but I wasn't talking about the modding community, I was talking about EA/Maxis. You can use cheats and workarounds and mods but in the end EA/Maxis did not provide suitable apartments for the Sims 3 iteration- they just didn't (4 hasn't either) and it has always been a complaint of mine and I love the Sims 3, I think it's far better than 4 on a number of levels but that doesn't change it's faults of which apartments were one.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    San Myshuno is in fact the largest world when it comes to number of lots.

I wish there were more community lots though. I want to add a restaurant and a retail store, but can't have them both in the same district...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Upon looking up my old apartment in Lucky Palms you're right- there are three roommates in there and they are not controllable- there are four other sims in the building that are controllable and all seven were placed by the game- not me. Originally all seven were playable but I remember a couple dying because I wouldn't control them and stuff would break and they couldn't shower or use the toilet because they wouldn't fix it and they would never feed themselves and eventually a couple died- they must have been replaced by "roommates". Even at that though the building really doesn't work like an apartment still- you can only have eight sims total living on the lot which precludes very many separate households, even though I only had three units and six sleeping places in a total of three double beds the game kept adding enough sims to equal eight total because it was an "apartment" and the problem with privacy is still there- it's ridiculous to unlock your door so someone can visit and have everyone else in the building flood in to use your bathroom or exercise equipment or eat the food on the counter. Yes, I know there are mods available but I wasn't talking about the modding community, I was talking about EA/Maxis. You can use cheats and workarounds and mods but in the end EA/Maxis did not provide suitable apartments for the Sims 3 iteration- they just didn't (4 hasn't either) and it has always been a complaint of mine and I love the Sims 3, I think it's far better than 4 on a number of levels but that doesn't change it's faults of which apartments were one.

Well, mods are options.

I don't view a game as something set in stone, not on PC anyway. I view it as a platform - a starting point. I can mold it into the game I want it to be. The Sims is lucky to have so many people who keep working on improving it. I have never played a game where the devs gave me everything I wanted the way I wanted it. But with a strong foundation and the whole community working together, it can be tailored to my desires.

I guess I don't really get the argument here...there were many options to making apartments in the game. It can be done many different ways. Even like TS4 and TS2. A little creativity goes a long way.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Is there any way to go down to street level where the cars are? Of all the things to bug me, that one stood out, as it's called City Living, not City Living in the Clouds.

Perhaps I'm just missing something.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io