Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bad development choices, poor budgeting selections?

JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
Clearly the beta version of the base game actually has another third world which has that European style feel and was scrapped which then became a completely revised and revamped world called Windenburg for the Get Together EP in the end. I don't know how much they wasted the budget for creating the alpha and beta look for the base game in the beginning of it, I guess it's a lot and then they used the beta european old assets to cover the cost back by creating another marketable Expansion Pack.

not only that they actually included sloped terrains but eventually flesh it out for flat lots because it didn't work online because of the different information based on the online world mechanics (I vaguely remember an image about the Beta version of the Oakenstead residence, prove me I'm wrong though), even they removed the technology in the game, which they knew the simcity fiasco but didn't have enough time and money to get everything right to port it on a Single offline experience so more cuts, cuts and cut to meet the deadline. which in return removes the also planned toddlers,pools,ghost and terrain tool etc, after the release it was still a buggy mess(and I still can't shake it off for the past two years) , seriously it's unforgivable to overlook the incest bug and the stretch baby glitch for intel user, when they just said it will work perfectly on ancient laptops. after the monthly 3 months of patches we get ghost back and pools back even though they can extend it for 3 months....

this is based on my experience waiting this sequel when the developers announce it and the leaks, the alpha and beta images and the scrapped Olympus project AFAIK...

on the side note, How do you think it went to H***?
My guess is the above title, poor choices...now this game is hated by sim veterans because how it poorly did well on it's release.
39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sim veteran since 2000 that doesn't hate The Sims 4 checking in.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    With City Life and Dine Out it's improved dramatically.
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Sim veteran since 2000 that doesn't hate The Sims 4 checking in.

not all though, but as a sims veteran since 2004, I's played TS1,TS2,TS3 and TS4 in HARDCORE!!!! I love it.... (I made houses, letting my sims have a degree, get a good job and plan a family it took at least 3 months for 1 family to be successful)

I'm just voicing my experience on most sim veterans I know, that my closest friend said EA is the worst and even my brother said that I was ripped off XD lol, they say it's not really good enough and get boring fast and hated by how much content they lose before the patches were released. So it got me thinking and scramble what I know from the begging of the announcements of TS4.

• Options
    With City Life and Dine Out it's improved dramatically.

you have to buy it though. 40+20= 60 which is equal to a standard The Sims 4 version in 2014.

• Options
    aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    I don't understand the purpose of this thread and rehashing old laments from over 2 years ago.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2016
    This is my favorite Sims game and has been since launch. Your "bad development (etc.) choices" are my "development choices I like but some other people don't". It's opinion. We didn't all like Sims 3's choices (but some of us were relatively quiet about it - should we have complained daily?), we don't all like Sims 4's, we won't all like Sims 5's if there is one.

(added: Did we all like The Sims's and Sims 2's? No idea - I wasn't on forums to get even a vague sense. I had some I didn't like for sure.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Early content being scrapped is just normal behavior in game development. I bet there's a lot more content that was scrapped than the European world. That's why all early screenshots have mentions that things may change until the final product. If it doesn't work, if it's not fun enough, if they can't finish it in time even with crunch time, if it would make the budget explode, the content is cut. Game development is a creative process, just like an author will write several versions of his book and the story may change quite a lot between the early draft and the final version, games do too. All the different iterations aren't wasting time, you rarely do something perfect on first draft.

Reusing some of this content for future developments is also not surprising, some of the work is already done, so you might as well use it, rather than start from scratch. I think they really liked the idea of an European world, and from what I recall, people liked it too.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    This is my favorite Sims game and has been since launch. Your "bad development (etc.) choices" are my "development choices I like but some other people don't". It's opinion. We didn't all like Sims 3's choices (but some of us were relatively quiet about it - should we have complained daily?), we don't all like Sims 4's, we won't all like Sims 5's if there is one.

(added: Did we all like The Sims's and Sims 2's? No idea - I wasn't on forums to get even a vague sense. I had some I didn't like for sure.)

This a non regular poster who does not complain daily. They have come on here to give their opinion as the forum rules allow.

Conversely, what is the point in coming on here daily to praise the game?

One could argue that if you dislike the game you should shut up and move on, whilst, at the same time, if you like it so much, you should play it instead of talking about it on the forums. Both of those viewpoints are equally valid and if you tell someone, or imply, they should not be complaining, you should expect a reply of "Go play the game, not the forums."

The thread title clearly encapsulates the content of this thread. Don't like what the thread is about, don't read it and feel compelled to engage in it. Its what I do. I don go into e-v-e-r-y positive thread to question why the person has created it and disagree with them because it would be rude.

1. I didn't say the OP complains daily.
    2. I don't come here daily to praise the game. I come here daily to enjoy other people's screenshots, answer questions, and catch up a few bugs posts. Sometimes I answer posts like this because I'm sick to death of opinion being stated as if it's undeniable fact around here, and there's nothing in the site rules that say I can't push back against that.
    3. If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts. There's a site tool just for that. Be my guest and use it on me. I'm tired of being lectured by you on what I should and shouldn't post around here.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

This a non regular poster who does not complain daily. They have come on here to give their opinion as the forum rules allow.

One could argue that if you dislike the game you should shut up and move on, whilst, at the same time, if you like it so much, you should play it instead of talking about it on the forums. Both of those viewpoints are equally valid and if you tell someone, or imply, they should not be complaining, you should expect a reply of "Go play the game, not the forums."

The thread title clearly encapsulates the content of this thread. Don't like what the thread is about, don't read it and feel compelled to engage in it. Its what I do. I don go into e-v-e-r-y positive thread to question why the person has created it and disagree with them because it would be rude.

2. I don't come here daily to praise the game. I come here daily to enjoy other people's screenshots, answer questions, and catch up a few bugs posts. Sometimes I answer posts like this because I'm sick to death of opinion being stated as if it's undeniable fact around here, and there's nothing in the site rules that say I can't push back against that.
    3. If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts. There's a site tool just for that. Be my guest and use it on me.

1. You implied it and you know you did.
    2. Push back?! People have a right to give their opinion about this game without being instantly attacked by you. I don't think you realise how prolific you are and how patronising you can come across. You turn up in every negative thread just to cause dissent. If these threads upset you, ignore them. No one should be trying to "push anyone back". That is bordering on an attempt to censor opinion. And you are just as guilty, if not more so, of coming across as having all the facts as you dismiss people here daily presenting yourself as a voice of reason and your opinion as fact. Please show some decency and allow others to have their opinion and stop trying to silence people. This is not your personal forum.
    3. I'll gladly put you on ignore because you cannot be reasoned with.

I'm going to hold you up there. The very last sentence of the OP is a blanket statement that speaks for a group of people without their consent. There will absolutely be push-back against that sort of thing, and deservedly so. The anti-Sims 4 crowd does it a lot. It is natural that people are going to get tired of it.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited November 2016
    omigosh... feel a rant coming on...

I think TS4 is the worst Sims iteration. I don't like TS3 but I don't think it is a bad game (I think the sims in TS3 are ugly as sin). I loved TS1, but after TS2 I couldn't really accept the never dying, lack of genetics, and other elements that TS2 brought to the game to play TS1 for more than nostalgic reasons. TS3, I love the worlds and the content and spend a lot of time trying to port them into my TS2 game--but I don't spend a lot of time playing TS3 and probably never will. That said, I totally can understand how a lot of players love that game.

TS4? NOTHING. There is nothing that this iteration brings to the Sims franchise. There is nothing that redeems this game. It's a waste of money and time.

One fanbase to rule them all:
    Since it appears that EA no longer designs the sims for the diverse fanbase it built the Sims franchise foundation: for those who sincerely like this version of the game, I sincerely hope they will loathe TS5 so that I can like the next iteration. EA has pitted the fanbase against each other to divert the focus. Why no toddlers? Because our (implied: important) fans don't want them. Why forced cartoonish hood views? Because realism in the Sims is creepy. Why are aliens invading my hood? Because some of our fans requested that. In TS4 if you dont "get it" then you're a bad Sims fan.

P-poor development:
    I hope TS5 breaks the "average" simmer's computer (because EA thinks we play the sims on toasters) :unamused: I seriously hope TS5 will be a game that EA takes time with and designs for players who are ready and willing to dump $1000 on a game--none of this $1000 game for a $200 computer nonsense :-1: It's a lame excuse to skimp on animations and complexity--because the price doesn't reflect a game from the windows XP era.

Social networking failure:
    The forced and awkward social media push and attempt to be trendy makes TS4 dated before its time. Instead of talking about the game, they send out dancers to look cool and social (and thanks to that stunt ended up making the Sims franchise look like a joke). The constant stats published as though this game to prove (although to be fair, it kinda does have to prove it's not a piece of rubbish). The dev team should just make a Sims for Twitter and leave it at that. The umbrella mobile division indicates that this might actually happen, so I should be careful with my comments!

Big BIG thumbs down... way down:
    With the exception of the music team, a big thumbs down to everyone's contribution on the development of this product. Way to produce a huge disappointment.

That in the bold - I think it's a bit tongue in cheek because I don't actually wish that TS5 (if there is one) breaks the "average" Simmer's computer; however I totally agree with you in that it's a lame excuse to skimp on animations, complexity, etc. I feel like EA should know that if they made an OUTSTANDING product that didn't only listen to parts of what Simmers wanted (i.e. What Simmers said: 'We want smarter Sims with more emotions!' What EA said: 'Yes, we're listening.' What EA heard and did: 'Simmers want emotions so that's ALL we're going to focus on' and let's get rid of most everything else!), more Simmers would not only buy the game, but get a computer that could run the game that they love. This franchise has had such a loyal fanbase since the beginning and for EA to cut out several different styles of gameplay (therefore cutting out Simmers), is a HUGE slap in the face!
  • Options

3. If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts. There's a site tool just for that. Be my guest and use it on me.

1. You implied it and you know you did.
    2. Push back?! People have a right to give their opinion about this game without being instantly attacked by you. I don't think you realise how prolific you are and how patronising you can come across. You turn up in every negative thread just to cause dissent. If these threads upset you, ignore them. No one should be trying to "push anyone back". That is bordering on an attempt to censor opinion. And you are just as guilty, if not more so, of coming across as having all the facts as you dismiss people here daily presenting yourself as a voice of reason and your opinion as fact. Please show some decency and allow others to have their opinion and stop trying to silence people. This is not your personal forum.
    3. I'll gladly put you on ignore because you cannot be reasoned with.

No, I do not know that, nor do you have the ability to see inside my head. And please feel free to report me if you think I'm attempting to censor people. I certainly have no intent to do so; disagreement is not an attempt to censor. It's just disagreement.
  • Options
    The salient issue is the attempt to speak for others rather than using pronoun "I". A very large portion of the ruffled feathers that occur on the internet is due to this sort of thing. If people would simply learn to type "I think that" in stead of "X people think that" it would go a long way towards getting along with each other.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    The salient issue is the attempt to speak for others rather than using pronoun "I". A very large portion of the ruffled feathers that occur on the internet is due to this sort of thing. If people would simply learn to type "I think that" in stead of "X people think that" it would go a long way towards getting along with each other.

Your opinion has been noted. Thank you. :smile:

@blueturtleotter - didn't you know that every time you buy a TS4 EP, a basic feature in the future TS5 base game dies. :joy:

On a serious note, what elements of TS4 encourage you to buy more of it? And do you think that there will be a difference in the development approach for TS5 or will it be more corner cutting like TS4?

• Options
    edited November 2016

I'm not sure that you have the ability to dismiss people, and certainly not on the basis of your agreement. I'll thank you in advance for refraining from doing so.

• Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited November 2016

@blueturtleotter - didn't you know that every time you buy a TS4 EP, a basic feature in the future TS5 base game dies. :joy:

On a serious note, what elements of TS4 encourage you to buy more of it? And do you think that there will be a difference in the development approach for TS5 or will it be more corner cutting like TS4?

I love the look of the sims. I love how smooth the game is. I love the gallery. I love build mode.

I play as a loner so I can over look the lack of reactions to a point, and I only every do one generation so the terrible family tree and inability to recognise non-immediate family does not affect me.

I love Windenberg.

The game makes me smile and laugh, but also frustrates me. I hate the lack of customisation and the tiny worlds. I miss burglars so much and the random drama of the other games.

The Sims 4 is just so pretty to look at and a hour or so here and there I find relaxing.

I was a huge Sims 3 player, but it lags and stutters terribly on my computer which vastly exceeds the requirements. Island Paradise is unplayable even with the downloaded repaired world. It would probably run if I turned off the other EPS, but my sims clothes come from various EPs.

The Sims 4 gives me a quarter of the fun The Sims 3 did and I still hold out a dying hope that the game will get better. I find the odd thing in each pack that I do like, so I try to focus on those.

I hate the overt socialising in 4 and it annoys me so much that my loner sim doesn't act like a loner. I dislike the manic emotion system, so I ignore it and do not engage in trying to artificially manipulate my sims's emotions for x task. I do not do any of the linear careers of GTW as I found them too linear and the tasks obtuse.

I admit I am becoming bored with 4 again and regret purchasing City Living. A small part of me hopes that the game will get better and that they will listen and act on our feedback, but the cynic side of me says no and wonders if the game's repurposed engine is just too restrictive.

I also do not like this live system that appeared to me to be a "clever" way for them to release the game in an unfinished state and complete it as they go along. EA does nothing for free.

I know I repeat this often, but sims could not react negatively at all for over a year until they patched the game. This alone tells us that the game was incomplete at launch and it is unacceptable. The sims are what the game is supposed to be about and they were broken for over a year and I don't know how anybody can think that that was acceptable.

I really ought to stop purchasing additional content for this game.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting thread.

I guess 'things happen, things change and things get cut'

I still blame Olympus though. As I said before, Olympus is the boss and if Olympus says no, then TS4 cannot have it.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Interesting thread.

I still blame Olympus though. As I said before, Olympus is the boss and if Olympus says no, then TS4 cannot have it.

I'm hoping Olympus and its re-purposed engine is to blame because the alternative does not look good for The Sims 5 (if there ever is one) if it is the developers' fault and their decisions are not made out of necessity but because they genuinely think they are the best decisions to make a great sims game.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting thread.

I'm hoping Olympus and its re-purposed engine is to blame because the alternative does not look good for The Sims 5 (if there ever is one) if it is the developers fault.

I don't think the developers are at fault here. Some of those who where behind the original games are still around and I think that eventually they can pull things together for TS5 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting thread.

I'm hoping Olympus and its re-purposed engine is to blame because the alternative does not look good for The Sims 5 (if there ever is one) if it is the developers fault.

I don't think the developers are at fault here. Some of those who where behind the original games are still around and I think that eventually they can pull things together for TS5 :smile:

That's what I hope.