Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your solution to lack of ground lots in SM

MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
In San Myshuno there are tons of apartments but only 3 ground floor lots to build on (excluding Myshuno Meadows). All of which are already full. In my game I just pretend the modern business district in Windenburg is part of San Myshuno (it works too, since San Myshuno is supposed to be a seaside town). I've created a few faux apartment buildings to make it look more authentic. What is your solution to the lack of lots?
I was planning to make Myshuno Meadows into a massive multi purpose lot (mall) and I would change the lot type depending on what I was using it for, that was until I found out it was a special lot.

Comments

• Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    All of the ground lots are community lots. Probably going to be true for 1 of the penthouse lots too. Residential in the city is pretty much entirely apartments (and 2 penthouses) and if a sim needs a ground lot they'll go to another neighborhood.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    :# Poke, prod, and bribe EA into making Superstar a San Myshuno 2 city based EP that opens up other areas of the city. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Bulldoze bulldoze bulldoze

Gym, bulldozed
    Karaokes, bulldozed
    Lounge, bulldozed
    Old Salt Warehouse, bulldozed
    Arts Centre, bulldozed

Then I built a Karaoke and and Arts Centre my way in Newcrest (where I have most of the leisure lots).

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I think Newcrest is really close to San Myshuno, you can see a city in the backdrop of the neighbourhood with 15x20 lots. So I plan to use that when I need extra space.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    :/ tbh I just go play TS3 for a while... I didn't think the restrictions on apartments were going to bother me but they are now that I have played quite a few hours. The world is pretty tiny imo. I know I could bulldoze lots etc etc but I just can't be bothered as in TS3 I can do what I like where I like easily. *shrug* It's not really like me to compare but that is seriously my solution... I close the game and go play something else.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    This is why it's so great that Sims can travel between neighbourhoods without penalty of losing their family connections etc. I have lots that I like in most of the neighbourhoods so I will continue to build there and pretend like Sims are in a different borough.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I use Newcrest as my neighborhood area in/next to San Myshuno. I have my City Hall there along with five houses for well off sims and some city type businesses. I have a coffee shop, my movie theater, a restaurant, a teen nightclub in an abandoned building, a church wedding spot, a spa, a lounge and two retail shops. It really (IMO) looks good, so I'm fine with not many ground lots in SM.

My%20Newcrest%2001_zps8qanollc.png
  • Options
    @Dannydanbo seriously, if it wasn't for 'the builders' jumping up and down to get up Newcrest playing with any of the new venues/lots would almost be impossible. My Newcrest if also filled with the venue lots. But I'm out of room there too now. I love the look of the library building you have there, which I guess is your town hall?

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I took out the gym and created a four story building in it's place to act as a vertical "lifestyle" center. There's bookstore/cafe set up on the ground floor, followed by a day spa on level two, a restaurant on level three and the nightclub/karaoke bar on the fourth level and the roof. Switching between designations is tricky and most so with the restaurant as the sims want to spread out and eat everywhere on the lot creating immense service slowdowns. I worked out a floor plan with easily removal doors though and when I go in to change the lot type I delete the doors to the non-playing areas. It still takes a while for the "shift change". All in all, though, it works okay and seems more city like then having a bunch of spread out venues.
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    I use the other neighborhoods as well for nightclubs and restaurants. Magnolia Promenade has 3 restaurants and 1 nightclub. Oasis Springs, Willow Creek and Windenburg also have a few bars, cafes and restaurants. I did bulldoze Myshuno Meadows and made it a huge park filled with the food booths, espresso bars, BBQ's and seating for dining. It has a large swimming pool, 3 jacuzzis, 2 BB Hoops, 3 video machines, 4 of the video machines where the sims stand inside the box, 4 foosball tables, 2 card/llama game tables, a karaoke machine, a DJ booth and dance floor, a workout area w/3 weight machines/3 treadmills and a kid's area w/the Pirate Ship and jungle gyms, 2 "Juice" bars and lots of comfortable benches for seating.

The main problem... Nobody but the sims I send to the park shows up to use all of this great stuff. So I'm waiting for a modder from MTS to figure out how to populate the place and then I'm hoping that it will be a great place for all of my sims to have fun. Most of the apartments are so tiny that there is no room for exercise equipment or objects to entertain themselves. :/
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo seriously, if it wasn't for 'the builders' jumping up and down to get up Newcrest playing with any of the new venues/lots would almost be impossible. My Newcrest if also filled with the venue lots. But I'm out of room there too now. I love the look of the library building you have there, which I guess is your town hall?

Yes, it's venue type is a library. It has an adult library and a childs library with a story time area. There's two court rooms, civil and criminal, a police station and cells, a mayors office, a lunch area in the basement and, since CL was added, I've enlarged the outside plaza by the river for a speech area for the politics career.

I would love another blank world like Newcrest but I would like this one to appear to be part of the downtown area for more things that may be added in the future like a style shop or bowling or a movie theater or more retail and restaurants. A river area that sims could stroll along after a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant. Newcrest, to me, looks like it belongs between San Myshuno and Willow Creek. I want the new one to have a definite downtown vibe with tall builds in the close back ground.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Yes, it's venue type is a library. It has an adult library and a childs library with a story time area. There's two court rooms, civil and criminal, a police station and cells, a mayors office, a lunch area in the basement and, since CL was added, I've enlarged the outside plaza by the river for a speech area for the politics career.

I would love another blank world like Newcrest but I would like this one to appear to be part of the downtown area for more things that may be added in the future like a style shop or bowling or a movie theater or more retail and restaurants. A river area that sims could stroll along after a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant. Newcrest, to me, looks like it belongs between San Myshuno and Willow Creek. I want the new one to have a definite downtown vibe with tall builds in the close back ground.

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic build! I agree, another blank world would be good. Once you've set it up the way you want it and saved it 'as...' it is easy to use as a template for any future 'new' games.

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    We start with the fact than Newcrest is the joker at the deck
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Anyway for my game play, Willow Creek is main world
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited November 2016
    I got rid of the plethora of karaoke lots, the old salt house, arts center, stargazer lounge, and the gym. I also remodeled the penthouses into community lots (by "got rid of" I just replaced them all with my own personal favorite venues). IMO, there are plenty of non apartment lots to fully realize my venue needs. I've never been a fan of how Maxis builds things, so I generally bulldoze and replace all of their stuff. All of my neighborhoods are 100% customized... not a single Maxis building is left in my saves.

@Dannydanbo I love your Newcrest! Nicely done!!!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I don t have an issue with there being no ground based empty lots. My issue is there are no empty towers to put more penthouses or restaurants on.

We only have 3 we can use for penthouses but that means you have to bulldoze one of the 3. I really love the star lounge and the high penthouse in Uptown.

The penthouse in the Arts Quarter isn't nearly as high in the sky. Id really love to place that glass modern penthouse maxis placed in our library.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I got rid of the plethora of karaoke lots, the old salt house, arts center, stargazer lounge, and the gym. I also remodeled the penthouses into community lots (by "got rid of" I just replaced them all with my own personal favorite venues). IMO, there are plenty of non apartment lots to fully realize my venue needs. I've never been a fan of how Maxis builds things, so I generally bulldoze and replace all of their stuff. All of my neighborhoods are 100% customized... not a single Maxis building is left in my saves.

Dannydanbo I love your Newcrest! Nicely done!!!
    Cool, it is nice to know I'm not the only one that does that. Yeah generally with any Sims game, I tend to prefer my own lots over Maxis ones.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Cool, it is nice to know I'm not the only one that does that. Yeah generally with any Sims game, I tend to prefer my own lots over Maxis ones.

I'm with both of you. I prefer my own builds to Maxis, so I usually bulldoze everything and redo the worlds.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I use Newcrest as my neighborhood area in/next to San Myshuno. I have my City Hall there along with five houses for well off sims and some city type businesses. I have a coffee shop, my movie theater, a restaurant, a teen nightclub in an abandoned building, a church wedding spot, a spa, a lounge and two retail shops. It really (IMO) looks good, so I'm fine with not many ground lots in SM.

having these extra houses and sims do you find you have more sims wandering around.
    My new crest is empty maybe I should go and fill it up.
  • Options

having these extra houses and sims do you find you have more sims wandering around.
    My new crest is empty maybe I should go and fill it up.

In my Newcrest, there is only five residential lots out of fifteen. I have about the same amount of neighbors strolling through Newcrest as I do any other world. I've always filled my Newcrest in every save, so I don't know if having any or a lot of empty lots makes any difference.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I'm with both of you. I prefer my own builds to Maxis, so I usually bulldoze everything and redo the worlds.

Yass, builders unite!