Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you be okay with no new world in EP4?

Comments

• Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    So, with all 3 Expansions installed, we have 120+ lots available, which is a lot. Obviously, we want more. But for now, I think we're not struggling to fit families in unless you're playing with over 50 or so at once.

So for now, would you be annoyed if EP4's budget went solely on gameplay, rather than investing in a new world. Depending on the theme, obviously.

A Pet's EP would most likely continue the tradition of Countryside Living (literally The Sims Unleashed, The Sims 2 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) and The Sims 3 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) all have Country based towns.
    A Celebrity EP would need a Hollywood type world. A Travel EP would need a world.

But some EP concepts don't. Seasons, Generations, Career/Hobby related etc. There's too many to mention.

So for now, would you rather all development was focused on a Gameplay based, rather than an EP offering experiences based on Location (which there's nothing wrong with, but not EVERY EP needs to be this way).

Obviously packs like Pets, NL/LN, IP, BV, WA are location based.

The reason I say this is because Get To Work was the only pack so far (EP wise) where the world took a backseat, and whether you like GTW or not, there was a lot of dev time put into Gameplay.

CL doesn't add any empty lots and I personally don't have enough empty lots. So yea to me it was a waste of time to focus on look rather than space and gameplay.

I personally would like a new world, it doesn't need to be fancy or anything, but something like Newcrest that will give people like me more empty lots, they could just reskin it a bit and that wouldn't be that much work.

But then it doesn't need to be added in an EP, it could be in patch or maybe GP.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    PoppenPoppen Posts: 85 Member
    Like most has said it depends on the pack, if it contributes to the existing world and fits, then yeah bring on the gameplay. But I do think a pack with supernaturals need a darker and more gritty world. We actually need that with or without supernaturals. more grime please. It would be nice to give the pastels a rest just once in a while.
  • Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    No. We seriously need new worlds and more types of venueS. I've already had to tear down a bunch of houses just to make more community lots. More worlds,please, EA. We especially need more worlds that don't have bodies of water around or on every lot there is..maybe a nice rural or inner city world where we could place barns, car garages, industrial buildings,etc.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I don't feel we've gotten any "worlds". I think we've gotten towns.

I'd actually like to see them focus on depth of game play rather than superficial.....but as far as towns....yes I'd like new towns with packs because I don't have my Sims travel from town to town. It's breaks my immersion to have Sims travel from a desert town to a lush green town or travel to a European city just to go to a party.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited November 2016
    I gave this a think, but my answer is..

I wouldn't be happy for an EP to come with no new world. I like having the pre-mades and the new settings for stories. I also think it would be a massive excuse for them to just have a content heavy pack, with no depth, like a stuff pack. Would you have been happy to have Get Together, with clubs and objects/clothing, but no Windenburg and none of the families? Maybe for you that's a yes, but not for me.

There isn't an expansion pack I can think of where it wouldn't make sense to have a new world. I'm still running out of room in my worlds, and I like to put Sims in worlds that reflect their personality, so I really want more. I also ADORE the Sims 4 scenery, the worlds were one of the main reasons I bought the game, and I definitely want more of that in future.

I'm not so keen that with packs like Spa day and Dine out, we were given restaurants to place in our pre-existing worlds, there's no room for them! I feel like if something like Pets came with Pet shops or racetracks, I'd have nowhere to place them if not given a world, and I'd not be able to use the content.

Beach world, Countryside-farming world, Creepy world, Derelict world, bring them all!

Maybe, maybe Generations. Toddlers would be a massive gift to us all, and so I think that would override the need for a world. Otherwise things that don't require worlds, could probably be done as Game packs instead.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I think you raise an interesting question. I love getting new worlds, especially when they are interesting and offer a new environment to play out my stories. I'd also welcome more space to build my own random things. However, I think the need of a world is subject to the theme of the expansion.

I think some themes would demand a new destination, especially if the pack has several new lot types which would need to be placed. A vacation based pack obviously needs a new world, where something like weather would have an effect on existing worlds and the time might be better spent there. But if, say, a pets expansion had several new venues (pet store; cat park; dog park; equestrian centre; vets; pet salon; etc) it would be better to have a new world that includes these things rather to have to squeeze them in ourselves.

Plus, they must have a team who specifically work on world building. So they need to utilise those skills. Perhaps if one expansion required a large detailed world, then it would be wise to focus on that and perhaps not do a world for another pack. Rather than have two worlds which are rushed and/or less detailed.

There are a lot of factors to consider, and it's hard to judge it without having more information. I don't think taking away time from the world builders would equal more gameplay, because those are very different skills sets. The question for me is 'should the world builders focus on making large detailed worlds, or creating smaller worlds for every pack'. And again, this is a slippery question because it would depend on just how essential the world would be to the theme. A pack focused on exploration would require a large interesting world, for example.

It's not so much about utilizing skills, more about budgets. One of the reasons Seasons probably didn't come with a world is because the budget went to the Weather etc.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I think you raise an interesting question. I love getting new worlds, especially when they are interesting and offer a new environment to play out my stories. I'd also welcome more space to build my own random things. However, I think the need of a world is subject to the theme of the expansion.

I think some themes would demand a new destination, especially if the pack has several new lot types which would need to be placed. A vacation based pack obviously needs a new world, where something like weather would have an effect on existing worlds and the time might be better spent there. But if, say, a pets expansion had several new venues (pet store; cat park; dog park; equestrian centre; vets; pet salon; etc) it would be better to have a new world that includes these things rather to have to squeeze them in ourselves.

Plus, they must have a team who specifically work on world building. So they need to utilise those skills. Perhaps if one expansion required a large detailed world, then it would be wise to focus on that and perhaps not do a world for another pack. Rather than have two worlds which are rushed and/or less detailed.

There are a lot of factors to consider, and it's hard to judge it without having more information. I don't think taking away time from the world builders would equal more gameplay, because those are very different skills sets. The question for me is 'should the world builders focus on making large detailed worlds, or creating smaller worlds for every pack'. And again, this is a slippery question because it would depend on just how essential the world would be to the theme. A pack focused on exploration would require a large interesting world, for example.

It's not so much about utilizing skills, more about budgets. One of the reasons Seasons probably didn't come with a world is because the budget went to the Weather etc.

Generations didn't come with a world either. There isn't any way to compare the many things plus weather that came with Seasons to Generations. So I'm not sure I buy the budget theory.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    Sims 2 Seasons came out with an actual world called Riverblossom Hills. It also came with weather, temperature, gardening, fishing, PlantSims, Death by lighting, death by hail, death by wishing well, 6 lifetime wants, Penguin NPC, potion, two radio stations, two talent badges, four meals, tv channel, aspiration object, roof objects, 11 new objects, 8 new interactions including ones for toddlers and pets. Aww I miss those days of fleshed out EPs. Sims 2 Season was actually one of my favorite EPs of all time. Info about it: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2:_Seasons

Back in the days when packs used to have life states, gameplay, worlds, deaths, and everything in between all in one pack. <3
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    There is always at least one EP without a new world and that is the one that gets called thr most 'bare' such as TS2 Pets or TS3 Generations.

I don't think that TS4 needs a bare EP at the mo don't as more workds are still in high demand
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If its Generations Seasons or something like FreeTime I do not want a new world these expansions need the entire budget spent on new game play.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    There is always at least one EP without a new world and that is the one that gets called thr most 'bare' such as TS2 Pets or TS3 Generations.

I don't think that TS4 needs a bare EP at the mo don't as more workds are still in high demand
    Coincidentally, they were both the 4th EPs for their respective games... :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    what I'd like is a whole new world filled with shopping stuff (like a downtown area) and not necessarily residential lot. You know, like the promade granada or whatever the name is but BIGGER THAN 3 FRICKIN LOTS. I'm talking grocery store lot, I'm talking pawn shop/consignment shop, a tattoo parlor, a beauty salon....I'd LOVE that idea. even just for a gamepack and not expansion. Because I don't see the worlds as "worlds" per say..They're more like cities inside a country or mini-states inside a country. so I think my idea sort of fits in. obviously it isn't the most perfect idea but I think it will add more depth to the game that I think is lacking...

-Yarden.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I would be ok with it, but at the moment the best thing about each EP has been its new world! Would be a pity to stop them now that EA seem to have some really gifted world creators on their team!
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited November 2016
    Yup, I'm happy with no new world next EP, no matter what the theme is, I think I've got enough for the time being. If they'd give us some kind of a world creator so I can make my own worlds, then I wouldn't care if we never got another new world ever again. That way all the budget could be spent on the gameplay and there'd be hundreds of fan-made worlds to fill up our games. :)
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Yup, I'm happy with no new world next EP, no matter what the theme is, I think I've got enough for the time being. If they'd give us some kind of a world creator so I can make my own worlds, then I wouldn't care if we never got another new world ever again. That way all the budget could be spent on the gameplay and there'd be hundreds of fan-made worlds to fill up our games. :)

What people need to think about is the engine is limited, if the next EP is seasons you will need a new world (even though I doubt we get a season EP), there's a lot of rumors and speculations that it wouldn't be possible to have all worlds able to have all 4 seasons (something about the engine), also just take Oasis as example, they can't make Spring, Fall and Winter happen there, it's a desert and seeing how much they say San Myshoesbingo was hard to make, making it with seasons would be near to impossible, it would probably take a lot of time to make each seasons work with it, so that would leave Willow Creek and Windenburg if they add no new world and that's if the engine can do it, if not my bet is we will end up with a traveling sky & winter sports destination pretty much like Granite Falls, but somewhere snowy where you can do stuff like skying, skating and building snowmen, I personally highly doubt we see a seasons like in the Sims 3.

Also that depend how the packs will be, like will the pets pack be just a small ''domestic'' pets pack? Like only cats and dogs? Cause if you want horses you kinda need a new world with big lots, specially if they make an equestrian center community lot, cause as it it is right now? The only spot I could see that fit in is the big lot in Newcrest, the other lots are too small. A pets pack would probably add lot of community lots buildings, like a petshop, maybe vetenary, and if we have horses an equestrian center and as it is right now with CL not offering any empty spots? We do not have the space for putting more community lots unless they give us a new world, like honestly they should give us a second Newcrest, like all they would have to do is maybe rotate it, reskin a bit, rename and that's it.

But yea a pets pack could mean easily at least 4 more community lots, a petshop, vetenary building (unless the pets doesn't get sick), equestrian center and maybe an park for animals, for people using all the community lots we currently do not have the space for that and honestly? I think in the case of pets those community lots could add gameplay if done correctly.

But yea I think people need to think that some EP will need new worlds, if they ever do a University pack, it will need one, pets kinda need one too if it include horses, seasons I doubt will happen in the sims 4, pretty sure we will have traveling game pack with a snowy place and that's it. If we ever get a supernatural pack I assume there would be a cemetery and then again it need a big lot.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    kitangel1kitangel1 Posts: 200 Member
    I agree I'd rather have gameplay at this point. I love new worlds and I'm all for them, but after limiting us with San Myshuno I really would prefer worlds just had their own pack. San Myshuno is pretty- but I hated that the major gameplay features, like apartments and festivals could only be enjoyed in that world, rather than all worlds. I hope one day they actually give us the chance to build our own apartments, though I doubt they'll touch on the subject again.

I do agree though that it depends on the EP they are making. Some would do better with a world attached, while others are just fine on their own.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited November 2016
    This is actually the one thing in The Sims 4 I don't like.

Of course I would love a new world, but I also don't mind not having a new world with the new EP. Because ultimately, the problem isn't the number of worlds or lots available, it's the culling.

I want more lots, but the culling limit is a set value so every sim generated or moved in past sim number X begins the culling process. This makes the addition of new lots or worlds completely irrelevant since I can't populate them without worrying that townies / ghost / family trees getting culled.

Unless if I missed something in the patch notes, and if so, please inform me. But 210 in-game sims isn't enough to populate more worlds than what we currently have.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    TS4 doesn't have any rural world. I really hope that they make one for the Pets EP. And hopefully another add-on with more vacation worlds. Why not a tropical world where sims could not only travel but live their whole life ? Not everyone lives in temperate areas.
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I personally think a Tim Burtonish/spooky world would fit perfectly the style of sims 4. Also a gotham city would be great for the super hero theme ep that was mentioned in previous surveys, though I guess we won't be seeing a lot of urban worlds after San Myshuno (Not sure we'll get a super hero ep either).

I guess in the end I wouldn't mind not having a new world on a new ep as long as the gameplay is exciting enough, like a lot of you already said.
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I really like having a new world with different scenery. I know a lot of people would prefer more in depth gameplay but I don't think that does as much for me personally. As shallow as it may be, I think I prefer to do the same/similar interactions in a new place than I do to do different/new interactions in an old place.

Just having a new place to explore makes me feel like I am getting a real expansion to my game.

With seasons I could see them doing a world like in outdoor retreat that is relatively small but it would change in appearance according to the season. I could even see them doing seasons as more of a winter/summer/spring/fall vacation area rather than a cycle affecting all worlds we have so far.

I really hope each EP comes with a new world, the graphics are just so stunning. It's always my reason to forgive them for taking longer than I would have liked to release the EP.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Actually I was gonna make a thread about this myself. It dopends on the type of pack imo. Something like Supernatural, university, pets, vacations etc all need a world.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    San Myshuno is very limited building wise and Get To Work gave us only the joke that is Magnolia Promenade.
    I believe we should get a new world with EVERY expansion pack specially considering that so far (a part from Winderburg) payed for worlds have been extremely limiting.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    This is actually the one thing in The Sims 4 I don't like.

Of course I would love a new world, but I also don't mind not having a new world with the new EP. Because ultimately, the problem isn't the number of worlds or lots available, it's the culling.

I want more lots, but the culling limit is a set value so every sim generated or moved in past sim number X begins the culling process. This makes the addition of new lots or worlds completely irrelevant since I can't populate them without worrying that townies / ghost / family trees getting culled.

Unless if I missed something in the patch notes, and if so, please inform me. But 210 in-game sims isn't enough to populate more worlds than what we currently have.

Very true.
    Until this is addressed properly, there is no point really.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I think as long as EP4s theme doesn't call for a new world then yeah I'm okay with not getting one. For me the new world has to serve a purpose other than new spaces for our sims to live. In the past, new worlds that came with new EPs basically showcased virtually everything the new EP had to offer. Which is something I liked because it meant I could do all of my exploring and testing there without having to integrate the new features into my current save
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    It depends....right now I could really do with another Newcrest (Newcrest was simular to Willow Creek so maybe a desert alternative?) I would like more worlds to add variety (I'm still struggling to fit commercial lots.

As for NEEDING it.....There's a few instances where a world is "needed."

Pets- Rural World
    Superstar- LA/Hollywood world.
    Supernatural- Spooky world (Moonlight Falls/Midnight Hollow style.)
    Tropical world (I get that they might make it a destination world but Island Paradise EP showed how expansive a tropical EP could be.)

I'm still holding out on a way to expand on existing world's. Like create a neighbourhood tool. With that it would produce the pressure of adding more world's and give more freedom to the player. I would love to add an actual Bayou Swamp to Willow Creek, add another village Street in Windenburg and add a Las VEGAS strip to Oasis Springs.