Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh, dear... Do our played sims die if we rotate?

LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
I was playing around with NRAAS, and my sims traveled to Oasis Landing for a little bit (the ITF place).

Things were fine, and I was having fun.

I then got a notification that a Sim had died in some way with a jet pack or something similar.

I was a little startled at unplayed Sims dying so suddenly like this. I tried looking for a body, but I must have missed something as I couldn't find the body. I quit out of the game without saving.

I was planning to make another family to play with in the same world save, and then rotate to them (and creating castes to do so), so this sudden death got me a bit nervous...

I am wondering, if I rotate to another household, would the ones I have previously played with have a chance of dying like that one random unplayed Sim did?

I am trying to decide if I should try this rotation thing or if I should just stick to having one sim family per save again?
~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
(She/her)

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2016
    Yes they can die. I don't play rotation but I do move children out. I send them off with a few death flowers just in case or give them as gifts. I have Grim's Manor. You can get as many death flowers as you want buy challenging Grim to a guitar contest. You need to be level 10 guitar to do this.

Your sims can die even if your playing them so its good to have death flowers in inventory.

If your sims have the unlucky trait , grim wont take them. They can only die of old age
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ah, I see! I did not know this could happen, @phoebebebe13 ! :lol: The Grim Manor is a store item, I guess? Sounds cool to have a guitar face off with grim!

I'll have to find out how to get some death flowers, just in case. :wink:

Hmm...I'll hold off on rotation for now. Going to look up how to get those death flowers.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    NRaas StoryProgression actually adds to the protection that inactive sims have inherited from the game itself but only in the sense that under SP there has to be a reason for them to have died, so no random deaths or culling just because you were playing a different household. I sat here a while ago and watched while one of my at the time inactives suffered a death by vending machine right on-screen where my actives happened to be. Then I quit without saving and promptly tuned out that kind of death with Retuner -- that one didn't even have the traits or a high level of Rebel to be slamming the machine and he could have purchased his own soda or whatever from one that wasn't jammed in the first place, so the whole thing really didn't make any sense anyway.

I suppose if I had ITF installed at the time and he actually owned a jet pack, that kind of thing could have happened as well though it's hardly an everyday occurrence. At least, it shouldn't be. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    So, if I'm understanding correctly: NRAAS SP have less random deaths and more deaths that make sense for the characters (consistent with their traits, etc), @igazor ?

Would the NRAAS mod let me know if someone in my previously played household died with a notification at least?
    (She/her)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    If you turn on stories with NRaas SP, you will get notification for deaths and other events. You can select which kinds of notifications you want, and even limit them to only the category of sims you want to receive them for. I limit the stories I get to residents, because I like to know what's happening to everybody in my town, especially when it's one of my own CAW towns, for which I made the residents myself.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hmm, I would say no random deaths but wouldn't go as far as to say more deaths that make sense. You can tune some chances of death in by way of the SP Personalities if you use any of those, I don't usually. A couple of the Vector mod's diseases can be lethal. But really, unless there are some probably not everyday situations taking place on-screen like sleepy inactives in a swimming pool, untrained ones for some reason repairing plugged-in electrical equipment while standing in a puddle, or you have lined the path to the park with poison jellybean bushes, and routinely go around setting fire to other sims' houses, most of the inactives in town should be expected to live out their entire lifespans with not much more than an allergy or a stubbed toe along the way. Plus or minus the occasional lightening strike or meteor, again very rare. Certainly none of mine have ever died (except for that one vending machine mishap and that was on-screen right in front of me) over the years while I was playing a different household.

SP doesn't really know which are "your" sims even if you have them in a caste. You would be notified if any sim in town dies and why.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info and reassurance, @igazor ! :smile: Good to know about the notification detail.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    If you turn on stories with NRaas SP, you will get notification for deaths and other events. You can select which kinds of notifications you want, and even limit them to only the category of sims you want to receive them for. I limit the stories I get to residents, because I like to know what's happening to everybody in my town, especially when it's one of my own CAW towns, for which I made the residents myself.

Oh, awesome, so NRAAS SP, yes! I really like this, @IreneSwift ! :smiley: I'll have to check my settings again.

NRAAS is just pure :heart: !!
    (She/her)
  • Options
    I will take what I learned from here for the future, when I decide to do a rotation. Thanks, everyone, for letting me know about all this!

I will have to look up the death flowers, which I have never heard of before. Thank you for letting me know about them, @phoebebebe13 ! (I assume it is like Ambrosia...?)

For now, I will relax and keep with my usual one family per save method and look up the flowers. :smile: (I will check out the notifications thing, too. I think I will keep them. Very useful things!)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2016
    The Death Flower came with the base game. It can be planted, and can only be harvested once, and the the plant dies. Now if your sim has the Green Thumb trait, they can do something to resurrect (I forget the exact term) the plant, and can harvest the Death Flower Plant a second time. Also if you have the Black Baby Dragon (a store item), the Black Baby Dragon can give you as many Death Flowers as you want, but they have to rest between each time. Also if your sim has the Death Flower Seed in their personal inventory, that will do the same as giving the Grim Reaper the Death Flower. I know this, because I saw it happen to one of my own sims. It was pretty cool. To plant a Death Flower Plant Seed, your sim will need to have 7 in the Gardening Skills.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    You can also usually find one Death Flower Plant somewhere in the graveyard of most worlds, but it can only be harvested once. I forget if this is one of those things that only shows up after midnight like the Death Fish.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ooh, nice! Thanks for the great info, @LaBlue0314 !

I am trying to look these up, but it seems these flowers are a bit of random chance and are not in a lot of specific areas in some worlds ?

In Isla Paradiso, I guess I would have to fish (with a sim with level 4 angler skill?), look through garbage, complete some job opportunities?, and maybe look in a cemetery for these.

Will try some of these methods throughout gameplay as I play with my sims in Isla Paradiso.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2016
    No, if there is a Death Flower Plant in the graveyard, it will be there any time of the day. I don't remember ever seeing one in the graveyard in Isla Paradiso. But you can go into buydebug and place one.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 I agree. It's quite possible that if it weren't for NRaas mods, I would have quit playing long ago. I was getting to the point where I was so sick and tired of certain aspects of the game that I did not like at all. That's when I decided to try NRaas mods. The first one I got was Relativity, because what I disliked most was how little time my sims had, relative to the amount of time so many things they have to do take. The next one was Story Progression. At the time, my other main gripes were the way the residents were constantly moving from house to house, invariably occupying whatever house I had my sim saving up to buy, how the game kept moving out pre-made residents and moving in new households, and that by the time I was ready for my single sims to find a husband, all the decent guys in town were already taken. Not only have all of those issues been solved with NRaas mods, but I now have many, many more mods, NRaas and others, that have been making my game play more and more realistically, in the ways I want it to, with every new addition.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    No, if there is a Death Flower Plant in the graveyard, it will be there any time of the day.

Ah, that is good to know! It's a bit confusing what with the death fish and ambrosia thing. (I never got any Ambrosia in any of my games. That would be a new goal to work towards! :wink: )
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Glad to hear mods are working well for you, @IreneSwift ! :grin:

Ooooh, Relativity mod sounds like one I should look at for sure! :smiley: Time management is tricky in these sims games. I never feel like I have time to do all of the things I want with my sims. (Good thing I almost never age most of them!)

I am feeling much relieved now. :relaxed:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing rotationally for years now and added Mods to stop the vending machine deaths,murphy bed deaths as well as jetpack deaths because I didn't want sims dying from those things or the jellybean bush.I've got over 100 NRaas Mod files and a total of about 500 Mods including the NRaas files.The worst thing to happen to me with inactives is them filling their homes with platters of spoiled food or building up 20000$ in new cash while I wasn't looking.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    I will take what I learned from here for the future, when I decide to do a rotation. Thanks, everyone, for letting me know about all this!

I will have to look up the death flowers, which I have never heard of before. Thank you for letting me know about them, @phoebebebe13 ! (I assume it is like Ambrosia...?)

For now, I will relax and keep with my usual one family per save method and look up the flowers. :smile: (I will check out the notifications thing, too. I think I will keep them. Very useful things!)

The death flowers have to be grown by a rare seed and you need higher level gardening. You can use buydebug to get the seeds. Grim's manor is the easier way. You can not only dual with him to get the flower. There are other benefits to owning Grim's manor. You can change name , You can change genetics. Hang out with Grim and his house adds extra build items. The door of life and death can be placed on residential lots. Grim's pet kitty will eat any zombies and return them to normal which fixes the zombie issues on your property. I hear kitty will also eat paps if you have celeb in your game. I have celeb turned off.

You can also change one of your sim's traits to unlucky if your not playing them and then switch back to another trait while playing them. Unlucky gives them immunity from grim. If the sim dies grim will resurrect them immediately. Like I mentioned unlucky sims can only die of old age.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2016
    When you 'buy' the death flower seed via buydebug, what will allow you to place as much mature plants as you wish for free. Some are harvestable, others are not. Just keep throwing in plants till you have enough harvestable ones et voilá, you can pick death flowers. After that you simply delete the plants.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Ooooh, I will have to figure out this debuybug thing! Thank you for the info about that, @JoAnne65 and @phoebebebe13 . :blush:

Thanks for the details about Grim's Manor, @phoebebebe13 ! :smiley: I'm very tempted to get that from the store. I will save up simpoints for it.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Ooooh, I will have to figure out this debuybug thing! Thank you for the info about that, @JoAnne65 and @phoebebebe13 . :blush:

Thanks for the details about Grim's Manor, @phoebebebe13 ! :smiley: I'm very tempted to get that from the store. I will save up simpoints for it.

I love Grim's Manor. I use the door of Life and Death as my front door. You can place the door on as many lots as you want. There is no limit to how many Grim you can have because they are not the same as NPC Grim.
  • Options

I love Grim's Manor. I use the door of Life and Death as my front door. You can place the door on as many lots as you want. There is no limit to how many Grim you can have because they are not the same as NPC Grim.

Oh, that's great! :smiley:

That's the greatest aspect of Sims 3: the wide range of possibilities and customization. :smile:

I'm finding out more and more about cheats, mods, and store items that would greatly enhance my gameplay! :smiley:

*HAPPY gasp* I just found out how to Force specific sims onto my lots using the mailbox cheat, for example. How awesome!!! :joy:

(She/her)
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Oh, that's great! :smiley:

That's the greatest aspect of Sims 3: the wide range of possibilities and customization. :smile:

I'm finding out more and more about cheats, mods, and store items that would greatly enhance my gameplay! :smiley:

*HAPPY gasp* I just found out how to Force specific sims onto my lots using the mailbox cheat, for example. How awesome!!! :joy:

My favorite things in the store are Grim's Manor, The dance studio and the tablet.

The dance studio you only need buy the dance floor and the bar for 500 points if you don't want the whole venue. You get dance as a skill and some of the dances are really funny. They add Ballet, the chicken dance and Gagham Style. Using the dance bar gives you both dance skills and athletic skills.

With the tablet you can multi task, learn skills on the tablet while learning another skill at the same time. Also homework takes a lot less time on the tablet and their fun does not drop
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited November 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    NRaas StoryProgression actually adds to the protection that inactive sims have inherited from the game itself but only in the sense that under SP there has to be a reason for them to have died, so no random deaths or culling just because you were playing a different household. I sat here a while ago and watched while one of my at the time inactives suffered a death by vending machine right on-screen where my actives happened to be. Then I quit without saving and promptly tuned out that kind of death with Retuner -- that one didn't even have the traits or a high level of Rebel to be slamming the machine and he could have purchased his own soda or whatever from one that wasn't jammed in the first place, so the whole thing really didn't make any sense anyway.

I suppose if I had ITF installed at the time and he actually owned a jet pack, that kind of thing could have happened as well though it's hardly an everyday occurrence. At least, it shouldn't be. :/

I know this has a lot to do with how one likes to play, but TBH I always get a little miffed at all those people who complain about how the game is 'too easy'. Maybe this kind of random nonsense is ok for some of them, but in general I always wish they'd be more specific about what they'd like to see to make it more challenging. Because I guess these kinds of simplistic things are their idea of more challenging.

I always mod these sort of things out of my game. If they're going to put in random deaths, they need to have some logic behind them or they drive me crazy. Of course I'm kind of a control freak so even if they were i might still mod them out. Or at least quit without saving.

I remember a family in TS2 where lightening struck a tree, and the game decided that one of the children were going to die. I tried for the longest time to get her away from that burning tree, but she kept coming back so the game could kill her. I finally gave up and had to quit without saving. It was NOT my idea of a fun time.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I then got a notification that a Sim had died in some way with a jet pack or something similar.
    Never keep the jet packs in sims' inventories until they reach level 10 in advanced technology. Inactive sims love to use jet packs and those things are deadly for sims who don't master the skill :# But it's a great way to quickly get rid of an inactive sim you hate :D
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If you have the black dragon in your game it will summon death flowers for you.

I often find death flowers lying on the ground at the Stones Throw Greenhouse.