Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to successfully uproot and move yur sims to a new world?

Hey guys. I've got a married sim couple living in, uhm, the world that came with Showtime. I would like to uproot and move them to a new world, but I have a few questions. What will be lost/kept? For instance, one of them is following that singing career from Showtime. Will they lose this job? It doesn't actually matter, as I want them to retire from it anyway, but I want to be prepared for what is going to happen.

Also, can they bring their stuff with them? They have some painints, faberge eggs, gems, collections from France, etc. Will they lose what is in their "Backpack inventory"? What about in the family inventory? Where should I put things to keep it safe/make sure they bring it with them.

And what about missions in, say France? I think I have a mission that's not done. It's not a problem, I just want to know if the half-done mission gets nuked or will it follow the sims. And what about the visa-points, do they disappear or do they stay in the new world?

I've never actually moved a sim from one world to another, so I have no idea how this works and I want to be very prepared before I do anything.

Comments

• Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    They will keep almost everything. The only things that they will lose is their relationships with sims outside of the household, their family tree if you leave their ancestors in the graveyard, and their opportunities (including missions).
    But you can avoid the loss if you install Traveler, but moving your sims out is a different process with it. It's a bit more complex but you'll be happy with the result.
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @shakeninsane thank you for asking this question because I was curious about this also. @Candyd thank you for the answer, I'm definitely getting Traveler at some point.
  • Options
    shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Ahh, thanks a bunch! That's good to know. I was scared to put something in a inventory and losing it. Good to know! I've been looking a bit at the Traveler mod some time ago, as I was dead bored of having to collect visapoints, but I was afraid because it seemed to open up a lot of things I'm not too keen on. But the mod seems to do a lot of good things too, about glitches and stuff. And I think you can mainly use it to create your own "vacation worlds", like using Monte Vista and making it a visitable world? I'm not sure, but that's what I got from it atleast.

In the end I'll probably try the mod, but thanks, you answered my questions!
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Yes, you can add as many worlds as you wish (place the world's nhd file into your save) and visit them as long as you place a base camp in them.
    This way, when you're visiting one, if you want to move there, buy a house, click on the town hall, open the Traveler menu to switch home world. Your previous world becomes a vacation world, you keep your old house when you visit it and all your relationships.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited November 2016
    Before you move your sims to the new world - make sure all of the rabbit holes that they need for their careers are already in the world before you move them. EDIT: This applies whatever method you use to move them.

If you want to keep the family tree intact you can use NRAAS Porter mod to gather up all related Sims (including ghosts of ancestors) and any friends they want to take with them all into one single file that you will unpack when you get them to the new world. EDIT: Traveler mod will achieve the same thing if you want them to be able to visit their friends in the old world but leave their friends and family members still living in the old world.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've been looking a bit at the Traveler mod some time ago [...] but I was afraid because it seemed to open up a lot of things I'm not too keen on.
    May I ask like what, for instance? It's hardly an offensive mod of any kind, I'm sitting here trying to imagine what it's doing in players' games that they really don't like. Obviously no one has to use every single feature just because they are available.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    You can actually move your household the exact same way with the Traveler mod, as without it. But it will keep the relationships intact with everyone in the former homeworld, and will also keep any opportunities and promised wishes. The only things you will lose are photos from photo booths, including the seasonal festival ones. Any time I ever move my sims, I always do it this way. The move where you go on vacation, then change the homeworld has never worked well for me, and is more hassle than it's worth. But do pack everything you want to take along into either your sims' personal inventories or their household inventory, because otherwise, some things might get left behind.

I also recommend emptying the refrigerator into one of your sims' personal inventory, except for any prepared food, which will spoil if you do that. It will possibly go with them even in the refrigerator, but there have been too many times my sims arrived in another world only to have lost everything in their refrigerator. After working for a long time to get all their garden produce up to perfect, I definitely don't want to lose any of it.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If you put lots into Sim's personal inventories make sure you remove it all again before you start playing your game or you'll have massive lag.