Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you Launch Sims 3 without Origin

Greetings, Fellow Simmers,

Okay, so Origin is royally $&%#*ing me off right now; it won't let me launch any of my older EA / Maxis games. Does anyone know how to launch Sims 2 or Sims 3 without using Origin? Or am I going to have to sink a few hundred dollars in the Steam versions?

..... And apparently, the Sims Forum gods are mad at me for wishing to play on something OTHER than Origin and have blocked my account as a Spammer account, forcing me to wait 600 second before trying to post again. Fine. I'll wait.

(600 seconds later)

BOOM! Posted.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't think anyone can post multiple new discussion threads in rapid succession. This forum is occasionally attacked by spambots and other undesirable things, so such would be a defense mechanism against that.

If your TS3 game is on Patch 1.69, there is no way to launch it without Origin. You can try putting Origin into Go Offline mode to see if that helps, but you still have to "log in" to Origin even when offline. There are currently three ways to get and stay on 1.67.

-- Uninstall everything TS3, clean Registry using a tool like CCleaner, and reinstall the disc version of the game. You must have all discs, no Origin involvement whatsoever, and your base game disc must be from pre-Sept. 2012. Then SuperPatch to 1.67. Origin will still notice your install if you keep it around for other reasons, but it can't control it or patch it to 1.69 if you don't let it.

-- Uninstall everything TS3, clean Registry, and switch over to Steam. But that requires re-purchasing the Steam version of everything. They just had an amazing 70% off or something like that sale over the summer, you might want to wait until that comes around again.

-- Play the Mac version of the game, there is no 1.69 for Mac. But that requires having a suitable Mac to begin with and TS3 for Mac is unfortunately flawed in other ways, so that wouldn't be the best recommendation.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Your options are...
    • Steam
    • Mac computer
    • All disk collection with a base game printed before 2012 + superpatch.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    The short answer is that it depends on the version that you are running. If you are running 1.69, then you're out of luck. You're tied to Origin and must launch through Origin, even if it is behaving badly. If you are running 1.67 (that's the Steam version and the version that players working from pre-2012 (pre-Origin) physical media can stay at with a bit of tinkering), then you can launch using the game's executable (TS3W.exe).

The few hundred dollars is accurate only if you're not willing to wait for the periodic Steam sales. There should be one coming shortly after Christmas. During the last Steam sale, you could pick up the whole shooting match (base game, plus all EPs and SPs) for about $100.
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sadly, I am running 1.69 and have content from the Store that I enjoy using to boot. Still, it is nice to know I am not COMPLETELY out of luck on this one and that I do have options. I do have all but "Into the Future" and "Island Paradise" on disk, so I COULD uninstall everything and reload it OR I could wait and get it on Steam. I also have a fairly decent MacBook Pro, so I could look into getting a copies for it.

I just need to determine how angry I am at Origin and weigh that against how much I want to play Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    If your games are registered through Origin, then you already have access to the Mac versions using Origin for Mac at no extra charge. But while that will keep you on 1.67 and Origin for Mac won't be required to launch the games once they are installed, you might not like the results. TS3 for Mac is a crippled version of its Windows sibling, it can only use 2 GB of RAM no matter how much you have to work with before glitching or kicking up Error12s. Depending on your style of play that can be limiting, the Windows version can use almost twice that.

Also, note that if you are running El Capitan or Sierra on that Mac, you have to use Origin (to install, not to play). The discs won't authenticate on those operating systems.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor :-P That's horrible. Thanks for the warning, though.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2016
    Interestingly enough I tried searching for Sims4 sales numbers online. (off topic but this thread is about to die anyway)
    I was unable to find any accurate source. they are able to hide these figures from prying eyes via their relationships with these cloud hosts.
  • Options
    @Uzone27 No worries, Uzone, and it is kinda on topic in a round-about way.

Origin is giving me massive trouble when I try to launch Sims 3 or Sims 2. Most of the time the games are unresponsive or they crash after the intro "clip." I have tried to find a sales or help desk number but have failed, and the number I did find had an automated message informing me to use the Origin "Help" menu to submit my problem. So, I submit my problem and five days later I get an email saying "Please uninstall and reinstall Origin to ensure you have the latest version" which neither addresses nor solves my problem.

Companies like EA and Blizzard are making it harder and harder for gamers to get help when they encounter problems, especially with older titles. I guess they think that if we can't get the assistance we need we'll give up and play their latest game. Sorry, EA, I LIKE Sims 2 better than Sims 3 which I like better than Sims 4. I am GOING to keep playing those games until my computer dies and THEN I will go to Good Old Games (because it will have been that long befor this monster dies ... no, seriously, this computer is a BEAST, I love it!) and download the DRM free version some fan updated and shared with the community.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    If you can manage to get to the options menu on either one, start by lowering alll settings to bare minimum.
    (On newer faster computers this might actually make the problem worse, but it's a place to start)
  • Options
    Darstan64Darstan64 Posts: 433 Member
    Hi all, Idk, I have a mid 2010 macbook pro with sims 2, 3 and 4 on it and all the games run beautifully, eps and all. My mac has never given me a problem. No crashes or error messages especially with the nraas mods I added. They really make my game run smooth.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @Alorxico

If you are able to revert to patch 1.67 you will still be able to use your store content.

You can download it from your purchase history or from the Sims 3 store.

You log into your purchase history and the store on the old Sims 3 site same as you did before Sims 4 was released and they moved the Sims 3 forums over to this new site.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    After downloading TS2 from Origin, you don't need Origin to run it.

If you have the TS2UC go to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin
    (if you have it on C:drive) and double click the Sims2EP9.exe
    You can make a shortcut to your desktop to start, also.

I don't use Origin to start TS2 or TS3. :)
  • Options
    Thanks, @Rflong7 ! I was able to create a shortcut from the .exe file and it launches Sims 2 UC beautifully. Now if I could only find away to revert back to 1.67 for Sims 3
  • Options
    April20April20 Posts: 1 New Member
    OK THERE IS A SIMPLE SOLVE TO THIS PROBLEM!!!! ORIGIN MUST BE INSTALLED TO PLAY THE GAME BUT YOU DONT NEED IT TO RUN THE GAME. ONLY TO LAUNCH IT!!! first open origin and import the sims 3 base game to your origin game library by going to where the game is installed and import the exe directory from that location. NEXT LAUNCH THE SIMS 3. ONCE IT GETS TO THE IN GAME MAIN MENU MINIMIZE THE GAME AND OPEN TASK MANAGER. USUALLY ACCESSIBLE BY SIMULTANEOUSLY PRESSING CTRL ALT DELETE ALL AT ONCE. now. if origin does't show up on task manager, look for the option that says advanced options in a blue link on the task manager. all system prossesses will show from there. find origin on the list and click end task. if a message appears that says it may cause system instability by closing certain apps just click yes. nothing bad happens i promise. and......TADA YOURE PLAYING THE GAME WITH OUT ORIGIN!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2017
    April20 wrote: »
    OK THERE IS A SIMPLE SOLVE TO THIS PROBLEM!!!! ORIGIN MUST BE INSTALLED TO PLAY THE GAME BUT YOU DONT NEED IT TO RUN THE GAME. ONLY TO LAUNCH IT!!! first open origin and import the sims 3 base game to your origin game library by going to where the game is installed and import the exe directory from that location. NEXT LAUNCH THE SIMS 3. ONCE IT GETS TO THE IN GAME MAIN MENU MINIMIZE THE GAME AND OPEN TASK MANAGER. USUALLY ACCESSIBLE BY SIMULTANEOUSLY PRESSING CTRL ALT DELETE ALL AT ONCE. now. if origin does't show up on task manager, look for the option that says advanced options in a blue link on the task manager. all system prossesses will show from there. find origin on the list and click end task. if a message appears that says it may cause system instability by closing certain apps just click yes. nothing bad happens i promise. and......TADA YOURE PLAYING THE GAME WITH OUT ORIGIN!

@April120 With the game being tied into origin you have to have the 1.69 patch. People who are on the 1.67 patch don't need origin installed on their computer at all. You can start the game without ever being on line. You can bypass the launcher with the 1.67 patch. The 1.67 patch does not require you to pick and choose which eps you want to play. The game will load with everything you have installed. @Alorxico wants to be on the 1.67 patch without origin

@Alorxico The only way to get back to the 1.67 patch is to uninstall the whole game and reinstall all disc. You must have the base game disc issued before 2012 that does not require origin. If you have the base game disc issued after 2012 you will be forced to the 1.69 patch. You can not use any EA downloads mixed with disc. You will be forced to 1.69 patch.

The other way to get back to the 1.67 patch is to uninstall the origin version of your game, buy the game on Steam. Install the steam version and you will be on patch 1.67. You can still use the sims 3 store with the steam version of the game
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    OK THERE IS A SIMPLE SOLVE TO THIS PROBLEM!!!!
    ...nothing bad happens i promise. and......TADA YOURE PLAYING THE GAME WITH OUT ORIGIN!
    And most players report that on Patch 1.69 (for Windows) they find that TADA!, the game crashes if they force quit the Origin process mid-stream, while the game is already running. :/ Perhaps there are other factors involved as to if/when that happens, but we try not to recommend such things generally that only work for a subset of players.

What you can do though, and this is what I did for the year I put up with Origin and 1.69, is take Origin into Offline Mode before launching the game each time. That doesn't remove its process entirely, but on the more recently updated versions of Origin I saw that its RAM usage dwindled down to well under 40 MB, which is pretty much next to nothing, after playing for a while. Perhaps that will help others who are still having performance issues. I really wouldn't recommend force-quitting the process if there is another alternative.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017

@April120 With the game being tied into origin you have to have the 1.69 patch. People who are on the 1.67 patch don't need origin installed on their computer at all. You can start the game without ever being on line. You can bypass the launcher with the 1.67 patch. The 1.67 patch does not require you to pick and choose which eps you want to play. The game will load with everything you have installed. @Alorxico wants to be on the 1.67 patch without origin

@Alorxico The only way to get back to the 1.67 patch is to uninstall the whole game and reinstall all disc. You must have the base game disc issued before 2012 that does not require origin. If you have the base game disc issued after 2012 you will be forced to the 1.69 patch. You can not use any EA downloads mixed with disc. You will be forced to 1.69 patch.

The other way to get back to the 1.67 patch is to uninstall the origin version of your game, buy the game on Steam. Install the steam version and you will be on patch 1.67. You can still use the sims 3 store with the steam version of the game

The thing to keep in mind with going Steam is you have to know whether you want to use Create-a-World or not (and commit to not using it), as it doesn't work with Steam without making registry changes. Which a) not everyone is comfortable with and b) doesn't always work. At least it didn't for me. If you don't want to use CAW, go Steam for sure. If, however, you are like me and CAW is part of the draw then definitely avoid going Steam.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options

The thing to keep in mind with going Steam is you have to know whether you want to use Create-a-World or not (and commit to not using it), as it doesn't work with Steam without making registry changes. Which a) not everyone is comfortable with and b) doesn't always work. At least it didn't for me. If you don't want to use CAW, go Steam for sure. If, however, you are like me and CAW is part of the draw then definitely avoid going Steam.

Thanks for that info. I did not know CAW is a problem with steam. @igazor were you aware of this? This just makes it worse if people want to go back to 1.67 and play with CAW.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Most players who have attempted the registry changes required to get CAW to work on a Steam install have reported success. Many of us, of course, never played with CAW in the first place, so we haven't tried it.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126164888
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

Thanks for that info. I did not know CAW is a problem with steam. @igazor were you aware of this? This just makes it worse if people want to go back to 1.67 and play with CAW.

Its because Steam sets up the Sims completely different from how Origin's does. Origin installs with a folder that's addressed something like Program Files/Electronic Arts/Sims (not exact, that's just an example), which CAW knows how to read. But Steam installs it kind of the same only with Sims(Steam) at the end which is a different address that confuses CAW hahahahaha
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options

Its because Steam sets up the Sims completely different from how Origin's does. Origin installs with a folder that's addressed something like Program Files/Electronic Arts/Sims (not exact, that's just an example), which CAW knows how to read. But Steam installs it kind of the same only with Sims(Steam) at the end which is a different address that confuses CAW hahahahaha

I know steam is a different version of the game than origin. I know they can not be installed together or mixed . I saw your other thread where you have both installed on the same computer. Yes that will cause issues :p I did not know EA did not have a version of CAW that works with steam. I have the origin version installed and have never used CAW. I love to build in the game however I don't think I have the patience for CAW
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member

I know steam is a different version of the game than origin. I know they can not be installed together or mixed . I saw your other thread where you have both installed on the same computer. Yes that will cause issues :p I did not know EA did not have a version of CAW that works with steam. I have the origin version installed and have never used CAW. I love to build in the game however I don't think I have the patience for CAW

Well, here's the deal with SteamSims vs non SteamSims.

Origin/disc Sims is installed in a directory in Program Files, along the file-path that somethingstellar mentions, at least that would be the default path; some programs let you define a different place to install to.

However, SteamSims installs within the Steam folder along this path --> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3

That's the reason you can't mix them, the resources need to run the game are placed in two entirely different places in your computer.
    When you run the program file, the TS3W.exe file, it's programed to look for it's resources in one place, namely the same directory as itself.
    So if you were to somehow install parts of the game from both Origin/disc, and Steam, when you ran the game it would only be able to find the parts the same directory as the .exe file.
    And if you made it look for the parts in the other directory, it wouldn't be able to find the parts in its own directory while looking in the other directory.

Trying to make with the program run using base game & EP's/SP's from different versions would literally be asking it be in two places at once.

Adding such a capability to Sims 3 would require a major programming overhaul, & somehow I don't see EA doing such a thing, especially when they want to shuff everyone over to Sims 4 & Origin anyway.
    Not to mention the conflicts that would occur if it could read from both directories & you had the same EP/SP installed in both.

Also, I have both SteamSims & CAW with the registry tweak. I had no problem at all with the tweak working, & it's really not hard at all, all you need is basic typing, mouse clicking & copy/pasting skills. The idea of editing the registry is just intimidating to some people.

I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options

Well, here's the deal with SteamSims vs non SteamSims.

Origin/disc Sims is installed in a directory in Program Files, along the file-path that somethingstellar mentions, at least that would be the default path; some programs let you define a different place to install to.

However, SteamSims installs within the Steam folder along this path --> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3

That's the reason you can't mix them, the resources need to run the game are placed in two entirely different places in your computer.
    When you run the program file, the TS3W.exe file, it's programed to look for it's resources in one place, namely the same directory as itself.
    So if you were to somehow install parts of the game from both Origin/disc, and Steam, when you ran the game it would only be able to find the parts the same directory as the .exe file.
    And if you made it look for the parts in the other directory, it wouldn't be able to find the parts in its own directory while looking in the other directory.

Trying to make with the program run using base game & EP's/SP's from different versions would literally be asking it be in two places at once.

Adding such a capability to Sims 3 would require a major programming overhaul, & somehow I don't see EA doing such a thing, especially when they want to shuff everyone over to Sims 4 & Origin anyway.
    Not to mention the conflicts that would occur if it could read from both directories & you had the same EP/SP installed in both.

Also, I have both SteamSims & CAW with the registry tweak. I had no problem at all with the tweak working, & it's really not hard at all, all you need is basic typing, mouse clicking & copy/pasting skills. The idea of editing the registry is just intimidating to some people.

I probably did something wrong lmao I have Amish blood. Technology confounds me.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    edited July 2017
    I probably did something wrong lmao I have Amish blood. Technology confounds me.
    @somethingstellar Oh, a techno-klutz, huh? I hope you didn't mess up your registry.

Can you post a link to the tweaking tutorial you used? There are several out there, so looking at the specific one you followed might give me a better idea of where you went wrong.
    Also what version of Windows do you have, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit. The tweaking instructions are different for 32 bit vs 64 bit.
    Here is a guide of how to check your system version wikihow.com/Check-if-Windows-Is-32-Bits-or-64-Bits
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    @somethingstellar Oh, a techno-klutz, huh? I hope you didn't mess up your registry.

Can you post a link to the tweaking tutorial you used? There are several out there, so looking at the specific one you followed might give me a better idea of where you went wrong.
    Also what version of Windows do you have, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit. The tweaking instructions are different for 32 bit vs 64 bit.
    Here is a guide of how to check your system version wikihow.com/Check-if-Windows-Is-32-Bits-or-64-Bits

I don't think I did. I ended up uninstalling the game and reinstalling it anyway so maybe that's why its fine lmao

I was probably supposed to make mine match exactly what theirs looked like, except mine looked different from their setup so I only ended up taking out what I was told to hahahaha

It was just this one at the Steam community forums: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126164888

I'm on a 64 bit windows 10 system
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World