Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Child Support

Hi all, I have a sim that has a boyfriend who is a roommate because I don’t feel like controlling him. She had a baby with him. I’m just wondering why she’s not getting child support. I have the story progression mod with the money module in. Do I have to move him in in order to get the child support? Not sure how that works. I’m sure I have the settings right. Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm not sure how the whole child support works with the SP mod, but I do know that the only way for one parent to get it is when the other parent in not living in the same household, at least this is what happened in one of my games in the past.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Technically a roommate isn't really part of the household, but the fact that they live on the same lot is enough to not trigger child and elder support payments.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Darstan64Darstan64 Posts: 433 Member
    Ohh, thank you and here I was thinking I was going to some make money off my sim’s boyfriend/roommate lol. Maybe I’ll just move him in for now so I can collect child support, will that work? She has a wish to marry him but I don’t want to do that yet. I’m trying not to use money cheats either in this game. Trying to make it realistic as possible by saving up as much money as possible, she’s in the journalism career and he’s a freelance writer. Those jobs don’t pay much. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant, but if you move the two sims into the same household there can't be any child support or transfer of funds. All sims within a household share the same bank balance. She would have access to his income though, and vice versa. Child support is for when at least one parent does not live with the child.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Oh, I’m sorry I see what you mean. I’m new to this sp mod and just trying it out with a few of my games. I understand now. Thank you igazor!
  • Options
    AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    What I didn't even know that was a thing! Haha that's awesome.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    AllMadHere wrote: »

Oh yes, and if inactive resident sims do not pay their child support, they can get carted off to jail, the whole town gossips about them, their relationships decay, etc. I don't think active sims get a choice, the amount just gets deducted (or added to their regular bill payments, I forget which).

Although it was stated at the beginning, for those who have no idea what we are talking about, Child and Elder Support are options that can be set with NRaas StoryProgression and its SP Money add-on module. :)

There are also options for Welfare (for children) and Social Security (for elders) paid out by the government, but the household has to be designated as Poor to qualify for those. By default, "Poor" means more than §10,000 in debt, income and assets are unfortunately not taken into consideration. I keep tripping over those when my sims who are not really poor take out very large loans to cover massive renovation projects and the like.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Oh yes, and if inactive resident sims do not pay their child support, they can get carted off to jail, the whole town gossips about them, their relationships decay, etc. I don't think active sims get a choice, the amount just gets deducted (or added to their regular bill payments, I forget which).

Although it was stated at the beginning, for those who have no idea what we are talking about, Child and Elder Support are options that can be set with NRaas StoryProgression and its SP Money add-on module. :)

There are also options for Welfare (for children) and Social Security (for elders) paid out by the government, but the household has to be designated as Poor to qualify for those. By default, "Poor" means more than §10,000 in debt, income and assets are unfortunately not taken into consideration. I keep tripping over those when my sims who are not really poor take out very large loans to cover massive renovation projects and the like.

OH wow I had no idea of this, my two sim sisters have two daughters with their boyfriends but they don't want nothing to do with them...maybe I can get some extra $$$ by this hehe.

• Options
    morgandaniellexomorgandaniellexo Posts: 414 Member
    I didn't even know that was a thing. That's kind of awesome. :D
    svnb6p.jpg
  • Options
    Hi igazor and morgandaniellexo, yes that mod is awesome. I love it, I was wondering if igazor knew anything about the taking out of loans. I just had my sim take out a loan for $20,000 with 10% interest to renovate the house and add on and make another bedroom for the new baby thats coming. How does it work with loans? Will it automatically be taken out of his paycheck or is there a setting I have to go into it for it? Can he repay the whole loan whenever he wants? Thanks for any help :)
  • Options
    Darstan64 wrote: »
    Hi igazor and morgandaniellexo, yes that mod is awesome. I love it, I was wondering if igazor knew anything about the taking out of loans. I just had my sim take out a loan for $20,000 with 10% interest to renovate the house and add on and make another bedroom for the new baby thats coming. How does it work with loans? Will it automatically be taken out of his paycheck or is there a setting I have to go into it for it? Can he repay the whole loan whenever he wants? Thanks for any help :)

A relatively small amount, §1,000, is added to the weekly bills for active sims for debt paydown. This automatic amount can be adjusted.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Money > Options:Debt and Taxes > Active Debt Paydown (or if you prefer, Active Debt Percent Paydown on the same menu).

Or your sim can return to the Business Building at any time and make an extra payment of as much as you want if they have the funds.

Inactive sims in debt will do everything they can to reduce it, including selling everything in inventory (unless you block that with other settings) and walking around with no cash to make the largest loan payments they can automatically.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    alienprincess18alienprincess18 Posts: 17 Member
    yes, that happened to me too
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    there's already so many ways to make money in TS3 I don't see why there's a need for those types of payments. After a couple of generations, there's usually so much money there's not much left to spend it on except frivolity
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    there's already so many ways to make money in TS3 I don't see why there's a need for those types of payments. After a couple of generations, there's usually so much money there's not much left to spend it on except frivolity

It can and does go the other way around, where your family is paying out.
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member

Not if you set up the NRAAS mods correctly there isn't.

Income tax; property tax; daily fee to simulate insurance/petrol whatever; lower the deltas for motives/skills to make needs and and skills harder for slower promotions and money making. I too hated being super rich by 3rd generation that's why I started digging into nraas settings more and (I think) found the perfect balance now. My current generation is struggling, just scraping by, but it's the most fun I've ever had on the game. When I save up enough to afford something my sim wants/needs its all that much more rewarding and feels that much better.

Welfare just adds a touch of realism and especially helps the lower class inactive sims around town stay on top of their tax and energy bills ;)

With the right tweaking, your game can be as easy or as realistic/hard as you want it to be.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    Is it only possible to do the child support thing with a single parent situation? May I ask what the reason for that is? Does it work like that in the USA too? Because where I'm from parents get child support no matter what their income is or how many parents are living in the household. Is there an option to activate child support even if both parents live in the house? My quadruplets legacy house could definitely use some lol.
  • Options
    BuzzLightyearBuzzLightyear Posts: 1,029 Member

I didn't either! Least its good to know my sims can get child support even if I cant irl aha
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    Is it only possible to do the child support thing with a single parent situation? May I ask what the reason for that is? Does it work like that in the USA too? Because where I'm from parents get child support no matter what their income is or how many parents are living in the household. Is there an option to activate child support even if both parents live in the house? My quadruplets legacy house could definitely use some lol.

You can get welfare if you're poor

Child support is when the father buggers off and dumps the mother to raise a baby alone just like irl, in the UK for example it's the job of the C.S.A (Child Support Agency) to track down dads who abandon their family and make them pay up to support their own kid. So child support works intended.

But to answer your question, yes, married or even unmarried couples living in household with children can receive welfare if the government deems them eligible (I believe a debt of 10,000 simoleons.. which I also believe is configurable. So you could just change the trigger from 10,000 debt to whatever you want the trigger to be as high or low as you please. Best wait for @igazor to clarify though!)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    McTosh wrote: »
    But to answer your question, yes, married or even unmarried couples living in household with children can receive welfare if the government deems them eligible (I believe a debt of 10,000 simoleons.. which I also believe is configurable. So you could just change the trigger from 10,000 debt to whatever you want the trigger to be as high or low as you please. Best wait for @igazor to clarify though!
    This is correct. Child and Elder Support, as far as the SP mod is concerned, are transfers of funds between households that contain blood relatives. Welfare (for poor households with children) and Social Security (for for poor households with elders) are from the government regardless of who or where the blood relatives are, if there are any, or how the children or elders came to be in those households.

The government provided ones can get a little goofy if an otherwise well to do household takes out large loans for investment or refurbishment projects and are suddenly deemed "poor" when they really aren't, there was even a time when one of my not really poor households was collecting those and it took me a while to figure out it was because they had puppies and an elder dog (always wondered what those dogs were up to on the computers at night while everyone else was asleep) -- the canine issue was a glitch that got fixed long ago though. But it's all customizable within SP Money's settings.

This is no longer the case for those of us who configure out mods to make the game more challenging. I only have one household out of the many that I play that has all that much money, Net Worth in the millions, as I had none of these settings in place way back in Generation 1 and both "founders" of the legacy were Level 10 in their careers for a very long time. Even for them, though, the funds are not infinite and I have to watch what I have them spend on. The rest, including the inactives whom I never play or intend to play, must live within their means. Or get assistance if they are unable to do so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TheDarkRoseTheDarkRose Posts: 230 Member
    wow, this mod sounds pretty cool.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response igazor and for all the info on child support from everyone :)