Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Boring premade families in TS4.....is it just me?

I've now realized that the only premades i still have are the goths and the pancakes..................
I have completely removed all other premade families with my own creations / gallery sims.....
I kinda miss how the premades in TS2&3 had more substance and character to them....also a good story which keeps them looking more fun and alive and less......dead and boring!
Happiness!
j9pm6g.gif

Comments

• Options
    kaanvardar99kaanvardar99 Posts: 134 Member
    Yes, we need drama :D
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I have all the premades. I've never deleted any of the townies for that matter, and I play with aging off too so at least the ones in homes are still around. I don't get the dislike for them, especially the famous ones. My Sims always seem to find a few they like, a few they don't, etc. People go on and on about how ugly some townies are or whatever, but I think it adds character and charm, to be honest. Not everyone is a fashion master, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    They're premades. They are boring because they're premades. I didn't think they were any more or less boring than before, just less 'active' due to no story progression. Mine just kind of sit in my game, on hand if and when I need them, ignored if I don't. (My opinion only)
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    I have left only the Goths and the Pancakes in that neighborhood too. I get rid of most of the pre made families and move my people in too , at least I have more fun playing the stories I make up.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I only liked the Sims 2 premades. They had a great story attached to them.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I agree. They are boring.
    I only keep the Goths and the Landgraabs around, more for the family name than anything else. Also the Pancakes, but I haven't done anything with them.

TS2 had the best pre-mades. I even felt compelled to make stories out of the TS3's Landgraab VS Alto's and with the Bunch and Langeraks families. The Goths, The Wolffs, Bachelors, and The Racket family.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I used to love the pre-mades in other games -- I think a lot of it came from the stories that described them before.. TS4 doesn't have that.
    So take that, and add to the fact that all of the sims generally react to everything the same/are basically the same anyway.. then yes. I find them very boring.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I kind of wished there was some storyline with the goths like The Sims 2 where Bella mysteriously disappeared while Cassandra was the bride who was left at the alter by Don Lothario where Bella was last seen on his deck.

The sims 3 gives the storyline on Bella and Mortimer's childhood and figuring out who was Lotila Goth as it makes us question that Mortimer's father was married twice.

The sims 4..... don't see anything exciting, no storyline at all. Just characters wearing same clothes
  • Options
    I disagree. The Sims 4 has my favorite premades of any game in the series. I've spent many hours playing as Eliza Pancakes, Katrina Caliente and Geoffrey Landgraab.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I really miss the more detailed backstories and dislike how much some were changed (like the Calientes). I think most the GT townies are good though and I'm hoping CL also has some new ones.
    I like the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family but I can't even play as them without ruining their name :|
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I have fond memories of the great backstories and personalities in Sims 2. It was the kind of characterization we were promised in Sims 4 but didn't happen. Sigh...
  • Options
    EisbergsEnteEisbergsEnte Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2016
    I never remove any premades as long as there's enough space for my own Sims.
    But...well...I think the premades in TS4 are really boring: They all look different, but they seem to have the exact same personality. Are your Sims hanging out with Mortimer Goth? With Summer Holiday? With Bob Pancakes? It all feels the same, imo. They all act and react so predictable due to the emotions.
    QNWOqEZ.jpg
  • Options
    hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    I never remove any premades as long as there's enough space for my own Sims.
    But...well...I think the premades in TS4 are really boring: They all look different, but they seem to have the exact same personality. Are your Sims hanging out with Mortimer Goth? With Summer Holiday? With Bob Pancakes? It all feels the same, imo. They all act and react so predictable due to the emotions.

exactly! wow i never thought of it that way (all due to emotions) but now it makes perfect sense!
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The Munch family (from GT) is pretty interesting -- there's an entire thread on them.

I'm right now working on makeovers for the Goths, so when City Living gets here I'm going to delete the current Goth family (whoever is left) and replace them with my re-created Goths; they'll move to the city and Mortimer is going to go into politics. Haven't done much so far -- Bella has a new wardrobe and updated hairstyle (still long but a bit fuller), Cassandra's going to go a bit more "edgy" and I have some interesting plans for Alexander when he hits his teen years. I've never really played with any of the pre-mades, but I don't have a Sim that I feel is suited for politics and I really want to try that out.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I have never really played the premades. I started 'gaming' playing Sims2. It was only when it was near the end and I was awaiting Sims3, that I dared to play one premade household. The Beakers, and then only for a very short time. The only other time I've played a premade was during a Legacy Challenge game, wherein the heir has to marry a Townie.

I pretty much create my own characters and play out a story for them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Lately I've been removing all of the premades with the exception of the Goths, Landgraabs, Johnny Zest (because of his connection to said Landgraabs) and the Calientes but all are "replaced" with updated version of them. I don't miss the others but I really can't imagine having a save without my Goths and Landgraabs and Don Lothario I love seeing them all too much.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yes, we need drama :D

I live for the tea in my game B)
    original.gif
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I really loathe the Pancakes family for their name alone. It was born out of a forced meme because Bob in the adverts/promo material was looking dour while eating his pancakes. It represents everything I hate about TS4's wannabe-cool marketing.

Not to mention that I just find them boring as heck. A slobby husband and a neat, "nagging" wife? Gee, what a new and exciting couple dynamic that hasn't been done to death.

The Windenburg premades fared a little better. I like the Munch family and the "Free Spirits"/Ulrike Faust and Maaike Haas, but I feel like I'm projecting all of their character onto them from what I want in OCs and not drawing it from the game's context. It works enough for neat original stories but makes the game feel shallow. And I love telling stories but I kind of want a game with characters that make me think about the motivations behind creating them, and not being nagged with the constant thought of "all these characters were done quickly to fill a town".

I know when TS3 was the newest game that its premades got a lot of criticism for being flat. And I agree in plenty of the cases, especially with the later Store worlds that didn't even give a unique bio to anyone.

But I think back to my favorite TS3 premade. I always loved to play with Harwood Clay of Twinbrook (a.k.a. the elderly sculptor with emo bangs). And in spite of everything I 100% made up for him for stories like Eight Cicadas, there was an actual background and context given to him by whatever game devs were responsible. He had relationships outside of his household, or a lack of them when compared to the rest of the town (in contrast to the TS4 premades who, as a rule, know only their housemates and, with GT, clubmates). He had one close friend and a number of distant acquaintances. While single, he wore a ring with his formal outfit. There was a woman with his surname and an unknown relationship dead and buried in town. He got a blurb about his background that actually raised a question about his motives ("he was successful, so why retire modestly in a town like Twinbrook?"). It wasn't the "everyone is deeply connected" lore of TS2's characters, but it at least got me thinking about Harwood a lot and made me feel for him enough to play him often.

I didn't expect TS4 to give me another Harwood but I expected to feel better than apathetic about everyone.

Everyone's kind of the same in TS4. Every premade starts at the beginning of their life stage. They have a middling-but-amiable relationship with everyone they know. No one has enemies in town or even within their household, even when they should. Like, if you're going to say "Johnny Zest is the black sheep of the Landgraab family", at least make him dislike the Landgraabs, or have some kind of complex relationship. Or if there are rival clubs like The Rebels and The Paragons, why do none of them dislike each other?

It's weak. And something I'm just a little too passionate about.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Get together has some really attractive townies.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Well, the TS4 premades are indeed quite boring. Except for their names, appearences and small backstories. It is in fact pretty clear that not much thought goes to the premades this time around and they're basically created for their looks to fill up the towns...

It's a shame that the premade sims become less and less detailed and thought out in each iteration, in TS2 they had amazing backstories with family trees and memories, TS3 premades didn't always have interesting family trees but at least they did put some effort into their stories (Though not as much in the later store towns)

I love the premades in from the earlier games, I just don't get why they get more superficial in each new game... :|
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Jacques disagrees

jB35VDh.png
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have all the premades. I've never deleted any of the townies for that matter, and I play with aging off too so at least the ones in homes are still around. I don't get the dislike for them, especially the famous ones. My Sims always seem to find a few they like, a few they don't, etc. People go on and on about how ugly some townies are or whatever, but I think it adds character and charm, to be honest. Not everyone is a fashion master, lol.

Me too.
    I never used to like the pre-mades all that much, but I've grown to love them, and they've even been incorporated into my own Sims' life-stories.
    The only pre-mades I've never cared for, though, are the Pancakes, and that's just because of Eliza. :D I don't really know why I dislike her; she just constantly gets on my nerves, and she seems to be everywhere my Sims go. But it adds interest to my game.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Sims 1 had some good premades too like the Mashugas. I haven't played enough Sims 4 premades but I do like the Pancakes. Johnny Zest seems interesting and I like his trailer house.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    I've sorta been stuck on the Goths since I got the game xD I did make a few families, but I always go back to the Goths ;p
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • Options
    noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    hafizchan wrote: »
    I've now realized that the only premades i still have are the goths and the pancakes..................
    I have completely removed all other premade families with my own creations / gallery sims.....
    I kinda miss how the premades in TS2&3 had more substance and character to them....also a good story which keeps them looking more fun and alive and less......dead and boring!

Totally agree with you! I also miss the sense of continuity of having familiar characters reappear from game to game. To that end I've been trying to recreate Sims from TS3 to introduce to this game. Not terribly good at it, but it would be cool if other more skillful folks could give it a try. So far I've made a "meh" version of Buster Round ( Bridgeport) and Yolanda Shaw (Lucky Palms).