Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to download and install Store items on non-C drive

Boy, so many problems trying to do a clean install on my new computer! New rig has a relatively small SSD (solid state drive) as hard drive C, and a large regular HD as drive F. I want to save space on the SSD for newer games so I installed TS3 and all my expansion packs on drive F. However, now that I'm trying to reinstall all my worlds and other Store content, it puts them on drive C by default.

How do I change this? I've changed my Win 10 settings to not put things in the C:/Documents folder by default, but the EA Download Manager keeps doing it anyway. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    edited September 2016
    This is what I did to save space on my sister's SSD. Maybe it will work for you.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Thank you for trying to help but that's not it. Store content is automatically installed on drive C and it doesn't ask you what path you want. When installing the game and the EPs, it DOES ask you if you want a certain path, so yay for that at least. I have the game and the EPs on drive F.

I think even if I move all the installed content (worlds, clothes, hairstyles, etc.) on C to F, the game will still "look" for it on C so it won't work. :(
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I think the issue is that the game will automatically create the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder on the C: drive (which is where worlds, Store content, and CC is installed). Note, this is not the same as the Program Files\Electronic Arts (or Origin Games)\The Sims 3 folder which has the base game files in it. You can specify where to install the game files, but not where the game creates your user folder (in which it installs your CC, Store content, worlds, makes your saves, etc.).

I'm not familiar with the setting you mention in Win 10. I happen to know that you create symbolic links on the C drive to direct the game to look for the files on the F: drive. I did something similar to move the game's cache and thumbnail files to a ramdisk for a while. I suppose it would work for the entire Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder. You'll have look up how to create symbolic links in Win 10. I followed a tutorial on MTS for using a ramdisk. I'm not sure how different it would be for the entire TS3 user folder.
  • Options
    napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    The article I posted is moving your C:/Documents to the F drive. But will work because the computer and any program that needs to find it will still see it as C:/Documents even though it's F:/Documents. I did this on my sister's SSD to save space and Sims 3 runs great and is able to find the game folder without store content taking up space on the C drive.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Thank you both very much. @napoleonwrasse , I'll read that article again. @TreyNutz , I'll look up how to create symbolic links in Win 10.

Have I mentioned I hate Win 10 so far??? :(