Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(Updated: Bought Laptop, Got it! Specs provided) Need new laptop for $1500-1900 USD.

4thefunofit44thefunofit4 Posts: 3,032 Member
After 4/5 years or so playing the sims 2, 3 and 4 with my MSI FX600, I am looking to finally upgrade.
My husband gave me a 1500 USD limit.
I am looking for any laptop brand (With Nvidia) that will run this game smooth as butter (Maxed out graphics lag free graphics.) And one that will age well with the upcoming sims 4 expansion packs (I only have base game right now and I am scared to get more).

I am open to any brand suggestions, even those I've had bad experiences with.
My first laptop ever was an HP not meant for gaming (If I did play Sims around that time I would've chosen better), it handled the game pretty badly, got really hot, laggy and eventually broke.

My current MSI FX600 started out great (Graphics card wasn't in the game, Ran at 50 FPS virtually lag free etc, could play on maxed out graphics),
but after Sims 3 Pets came out, everything started going downhill in the graphics department. (So much lag and my fps currently is at 5-15 fps and that is if the game doesn't shut my laptop off. And I do have all the expansion packs that I would plan on re-installing on my new laptop)

So like I mentioned, I am open to any suggestions, preferably 1500 USD or less. Instead of meeting the minimum requirements, I want to meet the maximum requirements and I really want to know what's the best laptop out there. (And yes I know a desktop would be better but I want a device I can schlep from room to room).

Post edited by 4thefunofit4 on

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I suggest going with custom cyberpower. They charge no tax outside CA. This is $1508 . Has a GTX 970m , a new skylake i7 processor, two hard drives one being a 512 gb ssd. This game loads much quicker on ssd . This comes with a few freebees too http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J6CX9
  • Options
    KatryinKatryin Posts: 125 Member
    I would recommend the Sager NP8151-S.
    xoticpc.com/sager-np8151s-clevo-p650rp6.html
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited September 2016
    I recommend the laptops mentioned above. :)

iBuyPower is currently having a sale on this Asus Strix that is equipped with a GTX 1060.
    http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-ROG-GL502VM-DB71-Laptop

Make sure to select all the available freebies (Asus ROG hat, and Gamdias Demter for the freebies; $1 for the iBuyPower mouse pad, and McAfee Antivirus Plus).
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Katryin wrote: »

@Katryin, have you ever used a Sager? I just found out about this brand yesterday, if so do the fans run loud and what's been your experience with it like? I saw a video where a guy was running his Sager and it sounded like he was running a vacuum. Not sure if it's his model only though. (Hope it is)
  • Options
    Thank you for all the recommendations. I am still in research mode and will check out all the recommendations, I hope to purchase something hopefully in a week or 2. If anyone has raw sims video used with any of their recommendations you're more than welcome to share it in here.
  • Options
    KatryinKatryin Posts: 125 Member

@Katryin, have you ever used a Sager? I just found out about this brand yesterday, if so do the fans run loud and what's been your experience with it like? I saw a video where a guy was running his Sager and it sounded like he was running a vacuum. Not sure if it's his model only though. (Hope it is)

Sorry - I haven't used them as they aren't available in my country without expensive shipping costs. But I've heard that they make good laptops.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Sorry - I haven't used them as they aren't available in my country without expensive shipping costs. But I've heard that they make good laptops.

If I am not mistaken, @chesterbigbird has a Sager laptop... Or it may have been a Clevo.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

Oh ok thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

If I am not mistaken, @chesterbigbird has a Sager laptop... Or it may have been a Clevo.

Oh ok.
  • Options

Clevo
  • Options

Oh ok thanks.

I would not recommend the sager. It only has 250 gb ssd. I play on a 250 gb ssd and am constantly cleaning out my game to make room and I don't have a lot of cc. The laptop I posted has a 500 gb ssd and you will need the 500 gb if your downloading a lot of cc and mods. You need to leave at least 50 gb free space on your hard drive with this game. I also don't know how the game will run on the new 1000 series nvidia laptop cards. I do know the whole game will run on the 970m card
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @phoebebebe13
    xoticpc allows you to customize your laptop. So I learned the hard way that I need at least a 500 GB hard drive and that's just for the main hard drive
    The laptop you recommended is one you have? How do you like it? How long have you had it?
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    100% get the newer nvidia laptop cards over the older ones. There is basically no comparison. the newer cards will smoke the older 900 series.
    The newer cards are almost the same as a desktop card (much much faster) the older 900 series cards are slower laptop versions.
    I do agree with bigger ssd. Although you can fit a good amount of stuff on a 500GB.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird , I was actually considering it before I read all the posts about how the gtx1060 and up is better, you guys are for the most part reinforcing this.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @phoebebebe13
    xoticpc allows you to customize your laptop. So I learned the hard way that I need at least a 500 GB hard drive and that's just for the main hard drive
    The laptop you recommended is one you have? How do you like it? How long have you had it?

My house has two cyberpower custom desktops and they are fine. I have an Asus ROG gaming laptop also.

Yes overall the new 1000 series cards are better however, your budget could be an issue. Laptops with two hard drives are better than having one hard drive. One drive ssd and the other hdd. SSD hard drive will load the game much quicker than an HDD hard drive. I would not go under a 500 gb SSD hard drive for this game. I could never play this game on an hdd hard drive since I have been playing it on SSD hard drive. I would go for the larger ssd before the better video card. The 970m will run the whole game. If you can up your buget than go for the 500 gb ssd plus the 1000 series laptop card
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @phoebebebe13

My house has two cyberpower custom desktops and they are fine. I have an Asus ROG gaming laptop also.

Yes overall the new 1000 series cards are better however, your budget could be an issue. Laptops with two hard drives are better than having one hard drive. One drive ssd and the other hdd. SSD hard drive will load the game much quicker than an HDD hard drive. I would not go under a 500 gb SSD hard drive for this game. I could never play this game on an hdd hard drive since I have been playing it on SSD hard drive. I would go for the larger ssd before the better video card. The 970m will run the whole game. If you can up your buget than go for the 500 gb ssd plus the 1000 series laptop card

Yea would have to check with hubby. He also recommended that though.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @4thefunofit4

This is $ 1609 Has a 500gb ssd plus the 1 tb hard drive with the new 1000 series card . This has 16gb of ram http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J6DN8

I can lower the computer above to 8gb ram $1525 http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J6DNB

I prefer having 16gb ram but you only need 8 for this game

There is no tax outside Cali so the price is what it is if you live outside Cali
  • Options
    Luckily I am not in California.
    I Will check out all the info later. Thank you so much!

I will keep you guys updated on what I might get but that might not be for another few days or couple weeks.
  • Options
    Your welcome and do keep us updated. If you need further help, just ask
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

did send some links in PM with sdd and GTX 1060 ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @phoebebebe13

I posted op a few custom with the 500 gb ssd and the 1000 series ;) They will have many options to choose from
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

I posted op a few custom with the 500 gb ssd and the 1000 series ;) They will have many options to choose from

Yes there are a few bargains to be had.. Cyberpower looks like the best option imo
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @phoebebebe13

Yes there are a few bargains to be had.. Cyberpower looks like the best option imo

I think so too on the cyberpower.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Question...how come so many gaming laptops don't come with an optical drive? Definitely going with something in the 10 series.. just trying to narrow it down but there are so many terms to learn and it's a whole cluster of information that I need help deciphering. lol. And I want something with an optical drive.

Also this might be limited to just my laptop but I am afraid to try MSI again because for some reason I get random Blue Screen of Death. Not sure what I did wrong in the past that might lead up to this...
    Post edited by 4thefunofit4 on
  • Options
    Question...how come so many gaming laptops don't come with an optical drive? Definitely going with something in the 10 series.. just trying to narrow it down but there are so many terms to learn and it's a whole cluster of information that I need help deciphering. lol. And I want something with an optical drive.

Also this might be limited to just my laptop but I am afraid to try MSI again because for some reason I get random Blue Screen of Death. Not sure what I did wrong in the past that might lead up to this...

The fangbooks come with an internal optical drive cd/dvd player. You can get bluray for more money.