Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is this pc any good

Is this pc any good?
Alienware Aurora R4 i7 3960x 3.3quad core
16gb ram
twin nvidia GTX680

Also whats the difference between dual or single graphics cards? Im no good at computers.
Would this play Sims 4 and EP's,GPs and SP well if so what settings?

Comments

• Options
    KnoxhoodKnoxhood Posts: 266 Member
    With those specs you should be able to run the game on the highest settings.

In terms of multiple graphics cards in sli, it basically enables multiple graphics cards to work together to render a game and can deliver greater performance (frames per second). If you are looking to go with dual graphics cards in SLI you may experience greater performance than you would with basically a single graphics card. You need to be aware that if you want to utilise this potential you need to make sure that you buy two graphics cards of the same type i.e. 2x GTX 680s. Having dual graphics cards also means you need a bigger power supply to run dual cards and I am not sure if alienware provides a bigger power supply to handle the cards you should do some research on this issue. I myself run a single graphics card because I am not really willing to upgrade just yet and not every game is compatible with dual card/sli support so you won't be unlocking the full potential of these cards.

In terms of multiple graphics cards and video editing etc, Adobe After effects and video editting programs don't have much support for SLI just yet.

If you want more information on SLI you can watch this video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxc6cb3_y0w
    EA ID: Knoxhood
    VzZNxCw.gif
    PC Specs: Corsair 760T Black Case, Intel core i7 6700K CPU, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 Geil 2400MHz RAM, 2x 240GB HyperX Savage & Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, 9TB WD Red HDDs, ID-COOLING FrostFlow 240L Red LED CPU cooling,750W PSU.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    With dual graphics cards, your going to encounter SLI issues in many games. TS4 is fine on SLI, I run dual Titans but, Dragon Age Inquisition, for one, has numerous glitches with SLI so, I have to run it on a single card.

Just read up and learn how to turn SLI on and off and how to work with it. For the most part it's a great performance boost of the application or program supports it. All of the 2014 and newer games pretty much do but, older games have issues.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    Thank you for the info.

I'm not a big gamer on PC, just The Sims series. When I do play the Sims I always go for a binge around 5 - 7 hours when I get spare time. I just want to make sure The Sims 4 EP's and add on's that's out already that I own wont put to much strain on the computer.

*Face palm* Today is the first I've ever heard of SLI.
    I will read up about it tonight and watch some YouTube videos.

Thanks again to you both.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited September 2016
    What is your preferred budget?

Are you purchasing this used? If so, is it possible to purchase one new?

Notifying @chesterbigbird. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Hi Colton. Yes it is used but I will be covered until 2019 if anything happens. Im dreading getting a new set up due to the pain it is setting up. I do get stressed easy when it comes to machines.
    I have £1200 GBP set aside for a PC. I don't really want to spend over that due to only playing The Sims.
    I've looked at configuring a PC build online but I have no idea what the basics are or what is what.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Hi Colton. Yes it is used but I will be covered until 2019 if anything happens. Im dreading getting a new set up due to the pain it is setting up. I do get stressed easy when it comes to machines.
    I have £1200 GBP set aside for a PC. I don't really want to spend over that due to only playing The Sims.
    I've looked at configuring a PC build online but I have no idea what the basics are or what is what.

I recommend going with one new, since you have the budget. :)

@chesterbigbird can configure you a desktop via CyberPowerPC. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Thank you Colton.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited September 2016
    More then happy to configure one when i get to my pc.
    I would not recommend dual cards you are better off with a single high end card. And i wouldn't recommend used with your budget.
    Do you need monitor mouse/keyboard?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I agree go new and, Chester will get one worked up for you that will rock your TS4 gaming. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    this is a good configuration
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1101010
    Will play the game at max settings very well.
    Does not include monitor
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Nice build @chesterbigbird, you do better than me on budget builds, I tend to over do it a bit. last custom I configured from CyperPower, for a gaming geek friend ended up over 12,000 USD LOL. He bought it, but he does a lot of webcasting, testing, etc...

You've got a nice rig for @waggymiley2013 for a very good price. :)
  • Options
    Nice build @chesterbigbird, you do better than me on budget builds, I tend to over do it a bit. last custom I configured from CyperPower, for a gaming geek friend ended up over 12,000 USD LOL. He bought it, but he does a lot of webcasting, testing, etc...

You've got a nice rig for @waggymiley2013 for a very good price. :)

lol trust me i can easily go over their budget :p
    when it comes to hardware i cant help myself. i just got my rig last month it cost $3200 AUD but i could of easily gone over $4,000... i had to restrain myself :D
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    You sound like me, can't resist that sick liquid cooling and, that huge SSD, and all that RAM, and wow is that combo drive fast and.... Oh oops 15 grand for that computer! LOL :smiley:

My rig started out at 7 grand, it's up to 13 with the dual 1080's I ordered this morning. (that includes shipping and insurance costs.)

And no most simmers here don't need rigs like that, just some of us have fun building these monsters and, can't resist the latest, greatest, best thing going for them. :smiley:
  • Options
    Thank you Chesterbigbird. That's very nice. GTX 1060 :open_mouth: how much extra would it cost for a i7 build?
    I don't need a mouse keyboard or monitor.

Sorry for the late reply. I did try replying this morning on mobile but my signal went funny when I hit send.

I also found out today from the PC guy that the Alienware Aurora pc was bought new in April and was returned within 14 days due to how big the system was and wasn't even used. The only time the PC has been used is when Windows 10 updates and necessary updates when he turns it on to show customers a game demo for graphics and the light display inside the casing.
    I have been to this guy a few times for pc's and laptops for over 5 years. I've never had any problems with him so he is trusted.

You must be serious gamers spending over 7 grand on a computer :open_mouth:

• Options
    I test for 2 different game producers so, yeah I need a rig that insures it isn't the hardware causing a glitch.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Thank you Chesterbigbird. That's very nice. GTX 1060 :open_mouth: how much extra would it cost for a i7 build?

Sorry for the late reply. I did try replying this morning on mobile but my signal went funny when I hit send.

I also found out today from the PC guy that the Alienware Aurora pc was bought new in April and was returned within 14 days due to how big the system was and wasn't even used. The only time the PC has been used is when Windows 10 updates and necessary updates when he turns it on to show customers a game demo for graphics and the light display inside the casing.
    I have been to this guy a few times for pc's and laptops for over 5 years. I've never had any problems with him so he is trusted.

with cyberpower they usually include keyboard and mouse in the USA. Not sure about UK. It states an extra 95 pounds for the i7. If you only play the sims you don't need an i7.
  • Options
    No you don't need the i7 but, boy are they nice to have. That 4.0 plus turbo is sweet. As for big, well bigger is better. I put my rig in a Blackhawk case. Plenty of room for cooling, add ons, upgrades, etc... :)
  • Options

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1101315
    Link above is with i7 included :) You don't need it, but it's nice to have :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    You sound like me, can't resist that sick liquid cooling and, that huge SSD, and all that RAM, and wow is that combo drive fast and.... Oh oops 15 grand for that computer! LOL :smiley:

My rig started out at 7 grand, it's up to 13 with the dual 1080's I ordered this morning. (that includes shipping and insurance costs.)

And no most simmers here don't need rigs like that, just some of us have fun building these monsters and, can't resist the latest, greatest, best thing going for them. :smiley:

i try to just get the basics so i can have a couple of years trouble free gaming at max settings.
    I probably didn't even need the 1080.. but it was a big step above the 1070 for gaming at 1440p. and doesn't hurt to future proof a little LOL :D
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Thank you chesterbigbird very much appreciate the help with the set up. I might as well go for the i7 :smile:

• Options
    Thank you chesterbigbird very much appreciate the help with the set up. I might as well go for the i7 :smile:

Your welcome ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide