Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - First Half thoughts

The Sims 4 has reached its 2nd year out of probably the 4 possible years the game it may have. The Sims 4 is infamous for its lack of toddlers, terrain tools, open world and the like. The Sims 4 is also infamous for its shallow expansions and stuff packs that no one needed.

However, not all is bad about the game, to be honest. The game packs are nice ideas, although I wish it would have replaced the stuff packs entirely. I wish that the future Sims games (if there will be) would also have these, heck, even replace the stuff packs. And the other good things I think to be happening are the breaking of gender barriers and... that's it?

Well, to be honest, you know me for being that guy that's always hopeful for the future of the game. But as it seems the game may have lost its affect on me. I still play the game for time to time, but I play TS3 more often now, and that's a bad thing. I thought sequels were made to be better than its predecessor, not the other way around. In a nutshell, the first half of TS4, in terms of content, is terrible. Who needs freaking phone cases?!?

However, I believe that the first half is a wake up call to EA. The Sims is one of the main pillars of EA's gaming franchises, along with FIFA and Battlefield. But if The Sims series will abruptly end, EA will lose a significant amount of people who play their games. My suggestion to EA and The Sims 4 Development team; put more effort into the game. We love the series, and the reason we complain is because we don't want to see our beloved franchise blow into bits. But as it seems you want the series to die. Well, in my opinion, that's a bad thing.

It's not too late to make TS4 the best in the series. The quarterly previews are subpar, but the concept is nice. Previews are ways to see what the consumers like. We won't care if the packs are delayed, as long as the packs are exceptional in quality and execution. So not all is lost.

TL;DR, The Sims 4 is currently lackluster in terms of content, but it's just the first half. Some of the veterans who have bought TS4 have returned playing an earlier version. But, as always, this is a wake up call to EA. If EA wants to bring in the flow, why are they abandoning a great series with a huge fanbase? They should take advantage of the people's wants, and make the game the best in the series.
I'm back!

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good thread :smile:

I wouldn't say that playing TS3 is a bad thing though ;)

But yes we are now almost halfway between TS4's lifespan and the future does still look a bit bleak.

I think that the next EP will be a make or break for the series. It will either make the series better, or it would just break more features.

I guess that it is a case of 'watch this space' and maybe hope for the best... :no_mouth:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited September 2016
    Never mind. Not relevant
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Three comments:
    1. I see the GPs as replacing half of the EPs. Probably because EA wanted some of the EPs replaced by two GPs such as a GP can be seen as a half EP.
    2. I don't see any way of giving TS4 satisfying gameplay. Building relationships isn't any challenge anymore because they are built way too fast and forgotten too easily too. EA won't allow this to be changed in any significant way and the fast changing emotions is also part of TS4's core design. I don't believe in toddlers being released for TS4 either. (They are much more likely to return in TS5.)
    3. EA wouldn't make all those SPs if they didn't sell very well. So a lot of people must buy them. Therefore I don't believe that EA sees TS4 as a failure. The game is just much more targeted at casual gamers who play the game much less than the majority in the forum does.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Erpe wrote: »
    Three comments:
    1. I see the GPs as replacing half of the EPs. Probably because EA wanted some of the EPs replaced by two GPs such as a GP can be seen as a half EP.
    2. I don't see any way of giving TS4 satisfying gameplay. Building relationships isn't any challenge anymore because they are built way too fast and forgotten too easily too. EA won't allow this to be changed in any significant way and the fast changing emotions is also part of TS4's core design. I don't believe in toddlers being released for TS4 either. (They are much more likely to return in TS5.)
    3. EA wouldn't make all those SPs if they didn't sell very well. So a lot of people must buy them. Therefore I don't believe that EA sees TS4 as a failure. The game is just much more targeted at casual gamers who play the game much less than the majority in the forum does.

To add: There's nothing wrong with playing TS3 instead. If you don't like the current iteration and your computer can handle TS3 then have at it. Sometimes they change the game with the next iteration and people don't get on with it. Next time (assuming there is one, remembering they said that they'll keep going until it doesn't make sense anymore) the iteration may agree with you. Some people didn't enjoy TS3 but enjoy TS4.

Also a 'failure' as far as you are concerned, doesn't mean a failure to Maxis. If it's selling and they're making money, then it's not a failure, whether you like it or not.

The previews were meant to be a sneak peek, so we're aware of what's coming in that quarter before it comes, not a whole full look, as was requested. Also they can't say 'such and such is coming this quarter...sorry, we were wrong' (which is why I don't think we'll get a 'surprise announcement' of something not already stated to be coming in that quarter, but whole different conversation).

• Options
    @Arletta You are mainly saying the same as I said except that I don't play TS3 anymore either but for other reasons. There were mainly three things that I didn't like about TS3:
    1. There were no family stories and neighborhood stories like there was in TS2. The other families in TS3 were reduced to being NPCs which the game moved around at random or even killed at random.
    2. The EPs in TS3 couldn't cooperate. If we wanted to use another EP then we had to start over in a new world.
    3. We couldn't add subworlds like we could in TS2. Therefore we couldn't expand very much and we had to start over all the time.

So TS2 was a better game for me than TS3 ever was. But I don't even play TS2 anymore either because I know that game way too well and because I have tried everything. With its low difficulty degree the game therefore isn't worth playing for me anymore.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Arletta You are mainly saying the same as I said except that I don't play TS3 anymore either but for other reasons. There were mainly three things that I didn't like about TS3:
    1. There were no family stories and neighborhood stories like there was in TS2. The other families in TS3 were reduced to being NPCs which the game moved around at random or even killed at random.
    2. The EPs in TS3 couldn't cooperate. If we wanted to use another EP then we had to start over in a new world.
    3. We couldn't add subworlds like we could in TS2. Therefore we couldn't expand very much and we had to start over all the time.

So TS2 was a better game for me than TS3 ever was. But I don't even play TS2 anymore either because I know that game way too well and because I have tried everything. With its low difficulty degree the game therefore isn't worth playing for me anymore.
    Everybody's entitled to have their own reason for not liking a game, but:
    1. Sims 3 does have family stories (you can find them in the Wiki under households). I do agree they don't really act like it (like there's this Cinderella background story in Hidden Springs but when you don't play those families Cinderella and the prince will never get together), I don't know if that was different in Sims 2?
    2. This is nonsense, the only time I had to start over in a new world ever was IP. All the other EP's I've played in the worlds my sims were living in when the EP was released.
    3. True, though I've always managed to move my family and friends to new worlds and continue their story there. Moving sims to new worlds is very easy and user friendly in Sims 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Didn't mean to repeat you.

After a time, I edited a game world, or a bunch of them to include things from other packs. The constantly having to edit them drove me bananas. One of the reasons I like TS4, no need to edit a bunch of times or have a starting world.

I don't play TS3 very often. I'm kind of 'meh' about it most of the time. I just don't think there's anything wrong with going back and playing an older game if you don't like the current one. They must factor that in when they make the game, that people aren't going to like it and are going to stick with an older version. Certainly I'd be aware of it. Because that's their competition, the older versions.

• Options
    QuiteIzzzyQuiteIzzzy Posts: 293 Member
    I watched carefully how it was in previous installments of the series. In TS2 and TS3 the most wanted expansions like Pets and Seasons came very late to the series, so it is still hope. I think it's very clever marketing strategy - people are used to getting some DLC, and they're willing to buy. If EA first gives them some not so anticipated content like party stuff, new hangouts, etc, they buy it anyway, cause they are hungry for DLC, and then they buy some more. If EA first gives the most wanted content like Seasons or Pets, some of buyers will stop at this point and will not care for later DLC. It's like in good restaurant. First you receive some appetizers, then main course. Not other way around.

TS4 can be still enjoyable but it demands different style of game. I understand that not everybody likes it. I think it can be improved with some EPs, SPs and GPs, but it will never be the same game as TS2 and TS3. In good and bad meaning of this words.
    Three comments:

Agree.

Recently I've watched some old "First Look" of TS3 Seasons EP on Youtube. This EP was great, but I was shocked how few clothing and hairstyles there was. I must admit that in every TS4 DLC we receive so much more CAS content, and that is important to me, cause I don't use CC.
    I'm not totally worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Adorno Family from Rebuilding Worlds
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I am quite amazed that you have managed to play 21 generations in TS3 without the game becoming too unstable to play. But it still isn't the same as in TS2 where you also could have a lot of relatives living in other houses.

Yes I believe that you could save a house with its inhabitants in TS3 and then start with that house in a new world which is probably what you mean when you say that you can keep your family when you want to play another EP. But when you do that your sims still lose all their relationships to all other sims who then don't exist anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @JoAnne65 I am quite amazed that you have managed to play 21 generations in TS3 without the game becoming too unstable to play. But it still isn't the same as in TS2 where you also could have a lot of relatives living in other houses.

Yes I believe that you could save a house with its inhabitants in TS3 and then start with that house in a new world which is probably what you mean when you say that you can keep your family when you want to play another EP. But when you do that your sims still lose all their relationships to all other sims who then don't exist anymore.
    The vanilla game has its boundaries for sure (NRaas travelling mod gives you completely new opportunities, but to be honest I'm fine with my vanilla solution in that department). The longest I've played in one save was in the beginning. During Generation 5 I got a mean glitch and I was gutted because I feared I had to sacrifice my beloved family. It's then that I discovered there's nothing easier than throw all the important relatives in one household and start a new game with them. I decided to also change their world, so went from Sunset Valley to Riverview.
    After that, this has become my playing style. I play my family and when saving starts to take minutes, I simply get them all together and start a new game. Same thing when I'm tired of the world they live in and want to move. I take everyone with me that matters and leave behind who I don't care about. That even feels realistic to me, some people in life you leave behind. And the new world they move to is filled with other, new people to get relationships with.
    Family members I put in one household in order to protect their family ties, friends go in seperate households and I restore their relationships (with cheats, easy) once I've placed them into the new world. Believe it or not, it's fun doing that even. And then I can continue where I left off. My current sim grew up in Dragon Valley, I started her generation by taking her on holiday in Monte Vista (where her grandparents and greatgrandparents live), now she's at college and when she'll finish her study she'll move to IP. Where, apart from exploring that huge world, she'll also become an Egypt adventurer. I don't quite see it, Sims 3 tying you to one world. I even believe I'll be able to restore broken family ties, now that I have Mastercontroller, but I haven't gotten into that yet.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    It's sad to think that they don't really care about the gameplay, just that people are buying it, but that may not be far from the truth. TS4 is a very empty base game. They took out the features people liked the most, and made us pay extra for them. (actually, most of those features aren't even available to us...yet?) Maybe they aren't telling us anything about what they have in mind for the future of the game because they want us to keep believing that they will give us what we want someday, so they just have to lead us all along until they're finished with taking our money, never having intended to complete the game in the first place.

But I'd like to believe that this is not true.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I really don't see how they can drag this iteration out for another two years.
  • Options
    @Stdlr9 Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. ;P

• Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

The vanilla game has its boundaries for sure (NRaas travelling mod gives you completely new opportunities, but to be honest I'm fine with my vanilla solution in that department). The longest I've played in one save was in the beginning. During Generation 5 I got a mean glitch and I was gutted because I feared I had to sacrifice my beloved family. It's then that I discovered there's nothing easier than throw all the important relatives in one household and start a new game with them. I decided to also change their world, so went from Sunset Valley to Riverview.
    After that, this has become my playing style. I play my family and when saving starts to take minutes, I simply get them all together and start a new game. Same thing when I'm tired of the world they live in and want to move. I take everyone with me that matters and leave behind who I don't care about. That even feels realistic to me, some people in life you leave behind. And the new world they move to is filled with other, new people to get relationships with.
    Family members I put in one household in order to protect their family ties, friends go in seperate households and I restore their relationships (with cheats, easy) once I've placed them into the new world. Believe it or not, it's fun doing that even. And then I can continue where I left off. My current sim grew up in Dragon Valley, I started her generation by taking her on holiday in Monte Vista (where her grandparents and greatgrandparents live), now she's at college and when she'll finish her study she'll move to IP. Where, apart from exploring that huge world, she'll also become an Egypt adventurer. I don't quite see it, Sims 3 tying you to one world. I even believe I'll be able to restore broken family ties, now that I have Mastercontroller, but I haven't gotten into that yet.
    I can see why you play this way and I might have done it myself if I hadn't already played TS2 so much. But your way of playing depends too much on mods and it sure wasn't EA's idea that TS3 should be played that way ;)

I don't know if TS4 could be made playable for me if I used a ton of mods. But I doubt it and I don't want all that hard work attempting to change the game and then realize that i can't change it enough anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Erpe That's why I dont use mods and CC. Too much fuss. But I'm keen to try MC Commander Center, cause I hate culling, and I want to play more godlike style.

@JoAnne65 TS3 for most players is unplayable without mods, cause it is unstable. And TS4 for most players is unplayable without mods cause it is boring.^^'

• Options

I can see why you play this way and I might have done it myself if I hadn't already played TS2 so much. But your way of playing depends too much on mods and it sure wasn't EA's idea that TS3 should be played that way ;)

I don't know if TS4 could be made playable for me if I used a ton of mods. But I doubt it and I don't want all that hard work attempting to change the game and then realize that i can't change it enough anyway.
    My way of playing can't depend on mods, because I've played modless for about five years ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    QuiteIzzzy wrote: »
    @Erpe That's why I dont use mods and CC. Too much fuss. But I'm keen to try MC Commander Center, cause I hate culling, and I want to play more godlike style.

@JoAnne65 TS3 for most players is unplayable without mods, cause it is unstable. And TS4 for most players is unplayable without mods cause it is boring.^^'
    Yes, Overwatch and Errortrap can be life savers (I really think Bridgeport is impossible to play for a longer time without those). Mastercontroller and Traveller add easiness and fun though. And Story Progression. But like you I don't like too much fuss and I'm used to my vanilla solutions :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I agree that TS3 is unplayable without mods and I used them too while I played the game. Mods from Nraas were mandatory.
  • Options

I agree that TS3 is unplayable without mods and I used them too while I played the game. Mods from Nraas were mandatory.
    If they were, mandatory, how come I - and others - played the game for five years without them?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

If they were, mandatory, how come I - and others - played the game for five years without them?

Miracles happen xD

• Options
    edited September 2016

Miracles happen xD
    No ;) If it were possible to make a list of players world wide and how many hours they have in that game, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in the top ten. I don't exactly lack experience, nor do I wear nostalgic pink glasses because I still play the game. Sims 3 is a very playable game without mods as long as you stay away from Bridgeport, play vanilla (I also didn't use any CC) and solve bugs by saving as and going back to stages in the game where the problem hadn't occurred yet. Sims 3 is buggy (I can hand you lists, I've also played complete generations without encoutering one though) and glitchy, but that doesn't equal unplayable.

(I am very glad with my mods now though, they do make the experience easier)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Miracles happen xD

I guess they do, I still play Sims 3 without mods. And a good PC also helps.
  • Options

I don't know because I sure couldn't. I didn't need them for World Adventures though. But for normal family play my mods were essential.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I don't know because I sure couldn't. I didn't need them for World Adventures though. But for normal family play my mods were essential.
    In what sense? When talking about 'unplayable' I mean? Like I said, I cherish the mods I have now, they make simming a lot easier (I have OW, ET and MC from NRaas), but if someone took them away that wouldn't stop me from playing. Relationship culling I consider unplayable, or the genetics bug TS4 suffered from at one point. Nights lasting ten real minutes in Shang Simla, that made the game unplayable in my book (that I could solve without mods though). But I've played normal family play all those years without using mods. And the mods I have now aren't for family play. What mods are you referring to?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016

In what sense? When talking about 'unplayable' I mean? Like I said, I cherish the mods I have now, they make simming a lot easier (I have OW, ET and MC from NRaas), but if someone took them away that wouldn't stop me from playing. Relationship culling I consider unplayable, or the genetics bug TS4 suffered from at one point. Nights lasting ten real minutes in Shang Simla, that made the game unplayable in my book (that I could solve without mods though). But I've played normal family play all those years without using mods. And the mods I have now aren't for family play. What mods are you referring to?
    Well maybe "family play" wasn't the right expression for me to choose because I couldn't play just one family without caring about the rest of the neighborhood. I needed mods to stop the game from destroying the other families and from destroying my own family when I shortly switched to another family. It is related to family play though because I don't let my kids grow up and move to another house just for the game to kill them or move them into other houses or families at random. I also need my moved out kids to have a job and goto work in my chosen career without the game randomly moving them to other careers where they usually would get fired without my help because the game wouldn't ever send them to work.

My point is that it should be me who decides when I don't care for my sim's kids anymore. Not the game assuming that they can be killed or moved around at random or given random jobs just because I moved them to a house of their own.