Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New video card -- Nvidia GTX 1060?

Thinking of getting this card. Anyone using it for TS3, and if so, how are your graphics? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have a GTX 980 (now last generation and very overkill for sims) but I can tell you the GTX 1060 will be good. You will be able to run at maxed settings, also be mindful of the CPU. Feel free to stop by the tech section if you want advice on a purchase.

The card won't be recognized like all newer cards but most people don't need to worry about that. What's important is to use vsync in order to prevent high frames.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You will not have any issue with the GTX 1060 on the Sims.

As @Simasaurus09 stated, V-Sync is much more important.

Notifying @chesterbigbird.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I own the GTX 1080 but have not tested the sims yet, However i doubt you will have any problems with the 1060.
    Just make sure you have a adequate power supply and room in your case for the card.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this card. Anyone using it for TS3, and if so, how are your graphics? Thanks!

Milan14 tells us in this thread that they are using the 1060, but doesn't seem altogether satisfied with its performance. That's understandable, since a frame rate of 200 average really isn't that much with a new and strong card like that.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

Milan14 tells us in this thread that they are using the 1060, but doesn't seem altogether satisfied with its performance. That's understandable, since a frame rate of 200 average really isn't that much with a new and strong card like that.

One of the challenges we are facing with the new ranges of cards is that players who are now using them are only showing up to report issues, and those not necessarily related to the cards being in those series. Very few seem to be taking the time to pop in and say, "I just started using something new and it all works great" even if this is the case. Guess that would be like making a special appointment to see your doctor just to tell them that you feel good. :)

That player's expectations for TS3's game camera performance were a bit high, I don't think they were suffering from a card-related problem other than (briefly, now fixed) frame rates going wild.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    In all honesty focus on the CPU for Sims 3. Got the 980 but my processor is supposedly not able to handle this game, despite running GTA 5 on Max with 60+ frames. Gotta love Sims 3's awesome optimization!
  • Options
    In all honesty focus on the CPU for Sims 3. Got the 980 but my processor is supposedly not able to handle this game, despite running GTA 5 on Max with 60+ frames. Gotta love Sims 3's awesome optimization!

Am sure you aren't the only one, though it's a bit unusual to see a player with a high end graphics card but a weaker processor. What's your CPU?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    That player's expectations for TS3's game camera performance were a bit high, I don't think they were suffering from a card-related problem other than (briefly, now fixed) frame rates going wild.

I'm just comparing that 200 fps average with what my own graphics cards can deliver when playing Sims 3.

I have GTX 760, GTX 770M and GTX 860M in my computers, they are all both older and much weaker than the 1060, and still can produce higher framrate than 200. My desktop gpu, the 760:s Fraps recording showed minimum 102, maximum 8278 and average 622 fps. That's why I think it's so strange and puzzling when Milan14 tells us that their brand new and strong gpu only delivers 200 fps average.

Maybe the explanation could be that Nvidia has built in some sort of automatic fps limiter in the drivers, to prevent damage to the card, or something like that. Otherwise I have no idea what's going on here.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @SuzyCue72 - I'm having trouble understanding this. Most monitors run at refresh rates of 60 Hz. There are some that are higher, and if you are connected to a television and using that as a monitor, then of course things could be different. But the monitors' refresh rate is supposed to be the goal here for fps, or at least the upper limit.

But if on a 60 Hz monitor as most of us are, wild or randomly high frame rates during gameplay are not something to be striving for. They will distort the game's visuals and overheat/destroy your graphics card, hence the need to have them limited but TS3 has no built-in limiter. Are we perhaps not talking about the same things or are you asking something different here?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @igazor Yes, I can see that we're not exactly on the same wavelength here... that's probably because you're not really a hardcore gamer, or inveterate computer hardware nerd... because they looove to have high fps when they're gaming, possibly more than anything else in life... :D

Seriously though, the indisputable facts of the matter are as follows:

The fps count/frame rate, when you run benchmark programs and/or computer games, is one of the ways that are used to measure the performance level, =strength and speed, of a certain graphics card.

And the performance level is of course what determines if the card is a low end/entry level one, or a high end/top-of-the-line card, or somewhere in between.

Normally I always have v-sync turned on, I only let it run a few minutes without it, for benchmarking purposes. My poor desktop graphics card, the GTX 760, didn't sound at all happy running without v-sync. It gave off a sort of, not at all loud, but very distressed highpitched whining noise, and the cooling fans increased their speed, and sounded at least 2-3 times louder than they usually do. So of course I wouldn't dream of letting that go on for any length of time.

In this particular case, with Milan14's and my graphics cards, I now realize that it's not possible to make any comparison since we're not using the same method of measuring. I record the fps with Fraps, and Milan14 just looks at the very small rapidly changing figures that the in-game fps counter produces, and then makes a rough estimate that the average number is 200... I don't think that's what you would call a very reliable and accurate reading.
  • Options
    @SuzyCue72 - You are correct on several counts. But most players who post here aren't trying to benchmark their cards. From a purely practical standpoint, being able to run 200 or 622 fps sustainably on a 60 or even a 144 Hz monitor might give one bragging rights in certain circles but actually doing so would make TS3 run like garbage as you noted and I would also suggest having either a fire extinguisher nearby or the Fireproof Homestead LTR. Somehow I doubt that more than a very small number of players of this particular game have monitors with refresh rates higher than that.

And you are also correct that I am neither of the things you said I wasn't. Labels are fun, though. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!