Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts on celebrity systems in the sims

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    It would be neat if they'd differentiate between long- and short term fame. Foer example a sim could enjoy some fame after publishing a bestseller, but fall out of public attention after the hype subsides. Superstar was like this, your points gradually decreased when you did not go to the studio park regularly (not sure anymore if you also could lose stars). However, in Sims 4 the fame level would have to be frozen (no decay!) for inactive households!

I'd also like the opportunity to become famous for other things than being an actor, music band member or singer. Very rich people could become celebs just like especially benevolent donators could enjoy fame for their deeds. And ideally I could set for each of my played sims what kind of fame they react favourable or unfavourably to. So if Bella Goth had some fame level in "Beautiful" and some in "Saved the world several times" (from topping out the secret agent career, for example), sims in the criminal career might boo her while good sims would follow her around, maybe get into fights with the boo'ers.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I like the system in Sims 1. It made sense and only affected those sims you wanted to be affected by it. The system in S3 is terrible. The moment you talk to another sim, you on your way to becoming a celebrity. The next thing you know, the entire town is plagued.

I might be exaggerating a little. I haven't really given it the chance since I played long, long ago. These days. Celebrities are turned off.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Celebrity in The Sims 4:
    • It should be opt-in, not automatic -- you should have to do something to initiate it, like hire an agent. I did appreciate the ability to stay out of the celebrity race in Sims 3 by turning down the opportunities that started you on the celebrity ladder.
    • Celebrity should make sense for townies/NPCs; reaching a certain career level in certain careers, for example. I don't want half my town to be celebrities where I have to "impress" them just to introduce myself to them. One of the most annoying things about celebrity in Sims 3 was when I was either in the Law Enforcement or Writing careers and had to interview Sims; by the time I got to the level where the Sim would deign to talk to me, either that Sim or my Sim would be tired or hungry and have to rush off, leaving my work requirement unfulfilled. And with the current relationship culling, who's to say we wouldn't have to re-impress that celebrity over and over again every day? :| We don't need celebrity dishwashers or help desk support staff.

Just my $0.02 (adjusted for inflation)...
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Ive never played this in TS3 but ive always wantes celebrities in my sims game. Id still like this for 4 if it was executed right.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2016
    I loved everything conceptually about Late Night.
    -Celebrities
    -VIPS and exclusive clubs
    -Paparazzi.
    -Bands

Absolutely hated how it was implemented.
    EA has had tons of feedback about it. It would be crazy to repeat the same mistakes.

I would like a distinction between social celebrities and performance celebrities.
    Social celebrities should work as it did in TS3, by who you know and who you are, but not only by that. There should be more to it. Perhaps what you wear, what you do, where you hangout, etc. I also didn't like the game making celebrities out of sims I did not want to be celebrities.

-Performance celebrities should become celebrities by talent and merit. You have to earn it.

-I hated that Sims turned away from VIP entrances would leave the club entirely. There were other places that they could get into.
    That could have been a great opportunity to get big friendship points by getting sims into the VIP areas by simply being with you.

-Paparazzi shouldn't be persistent stalkers. They should only show up when there is something going on that's making you a hot subject. And you should have fun ways of getting rid of them.

-My bands made more money in the subway rabbit holes than they did gigs.
    And Showtime Venues would had been a much more awesome experience if my bands could have played in them.
    To be honest I didn't actually get very far with bands because I wasn't getting gigs and other EPs came along and I played with those features instead.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    I would love to see it return. And I agree with you OP, it has to be done better than how it was in TS3. And if bands are to return, I hope this time around we get lead singers. I've always wanted a band with a lead singer.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Okay maube celebrity systems work different for me .But my sim got famous by being in the movie career, and doing what her agent wanted tpo do.I never need to talk to somebody to get famous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    What's Your thoughts on a celebrity system ? do You want to see it back ? do You hate the whole idea ?

I really didn't like the celebrity system in TS3 and I think it's the same reason many people don't like supernaturals. It just grew at a monstrous rate and consumed a whole town. The whole "try to impress" interaction just left me cold. It made me think of no talent people who have reality shows.....just because.

If done right it could be fun but we are talking about TS4 where it seems like things are half done. They can't seem to find a middle ground.
    The silliest part of that was, that children were unable to speak to their more famous grandparents. There was no way the little ones could impress them and apart from that, what kind of grandparent needs to be impressed by their own grandchildren. Most grandparents are impressed by the mere fact they were born. That felt terrible and unrealistic (the only way to get around it was by cheating their relationship bars).

The celebrity system in Sims 3 is a joke imo, lazy done (sorry to say). For one I'd want it to be connected to what a sim achieves, not to whom they talk to. And being born with three stars just because your parents are famous is silly as well. One ok, but not three. The paparazzi were nothing but annoying, they added no quality gameplay whatsoever. I think a celebrity system could be fun in this game, but they'll have to find different ways to do it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    I noticed from reading posts & comments by users in the forums that most of You don't want to see a celebrity system in The Sims 4 & that You hated it in previous games.
    I personally really like the idea of fame & being a celebrity and stuff & It was one of the reasons why I loved The Sims 1 , it had The Sims "Superstar" Expansion pack & it had a lot of fame related features from being a singer to actor to a model ...
    thesimssuperstar1.jpg

When You got really famous ; people around You acted really excited & You could offer fans a kiss or a hug or something that makes them delighted.
    also it has cool real celebrities with limited interactions in studio town Avril.jpg

Unfortunately The Sims 2 didn't have a celebrity system & Your sims couldn't get famous in any way.

sad-girl.jpg

The Celebrity system was introduced in The sims 3 "Late Night" but it was more like a VIP kind of thing were You know rich people and gain access to vip clubs or whatever & I really didn't like the idea of that ...
    hqdefault.jpg

Later on we got The Sims 3 "Show time" which added more life to being a celebrity like becoming a famous singer / acrobat / magician ...

04.jpg

but also it wasn't that that great , the fame feeling that came with Showtime felt like You're becoming famous in Your own neighborhood or something , not like an international superstar & Sims around You didn't even react to You being a famous person.
    Note that the expansion pack didn't have a celebrity system and it was exclusive to Late Night EP
    also I didn't try the sim port thing & I know people hated it so I don't know about that feature.

Now with the "Leaked Rumored'' City life expansion pack it's a possibility to see a return of the celebrity system & I'm hoping that "even if it wasn't in this ep" it's going to be more like the one from the first sims but enhanced in a much better way.

guitar-skill-sims-4-playing.jpg

What's Your thoughts on a celebrity system ? do You want to see it back ? do You hate the whole idea ?

*Note: English is not my first language , I hope You got what I mean*

*cries because I really really would love an improved TS1 Superstar remake*

And yes, I had to quote the whole post because the FEELS made me!

But to answer the question, yes, I think some kind of celebrity/fame/reputation system would be necessary for a celebrity expansion. However, there were issues with past systems like this, so they would need to avoid repeating those. It should be opt-in, because every sim and his dog were famous in TS3 as the celebrity system acted like a domino effect. And it should also be opt-out, if you decide you want to be a reclusive artist.

Another issue I had with previous games (I think this was with TS1) was that socials were difficult between celebrities and non-celebrities. You would expect this to an extent, but it also meant my celebrity would be unable to talk to people they SHOULD be able to talk to. So maybe this could be player-decided? Maybe with bonus traits like 'approachable' or 'socialite'? I don't know... but it needs to be considered carefully.

And I would love the Obsessed Fan from TS1 to make an appearance again. And also to have random paparazzi following you around. I'd love a tie-in with the photography and journalism skills as well.

*rolls around on the floor dramatically because of the WANTS!!!*

edit: Oh, and I just want to add that my priority interest in Superstar isn't so much the fame itself, but the careers. I'd really like acting on stage and film, and directing too, with film sets. A musician career with a recording studio, singing on the mic, performing gigs on stage, forming a band and also karaoke for newbies! AND I'd like fashion design and modelling careers, with a catwalk, sketching and sewing machine (TS2).

I see the stage object as being key to all the careers too. So you could decorate the stage like in Showtime, then you could act on it (live theatre or film set), and you could shoot music videos, and you could do dramatic style fashion shoots on it too!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    As with any new feature I firmly believe that there should always be an "opt-out" or even better an "opt-in" function.

My issue with TS3 celebs revolved around that everyone would eventually become famous. There was no structure behind the feature which led to it becoming a very dull, empty experience.

This could have been avoided, IMO, had they made the celebrity system require the player to actively be involved. Or at least require the player to enroll their sim in that feature. That's how it worked in Sims superstar and I really liked that. It kept an even medium between the regular gameplay and the new gameplay added with the pack.

I think the issue with Sims 3 is that they wanted to include a celebrity feature, but really couldn't devote too much time or energy on the project. So it ended up being a small add on that didn't really serve much of a purpose in the long run.

I would hope that they would put forth a little more effort in the future if we were to get "celebrities". That is a feature that I would definitely prefer regular sims not auto-enroll into.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    As with any new feature I firmly believe that there should always be an "opt-out" or even better an "opt-in" function.

My issue with TS3 celebs revolved around that everyone would eventually become famous. There was no structure behind the feature which led to it becoming a very dull, empty experience.

This could have been avoided, IMO, had they made the celebrity system require the player to actively be involved. Or at least require the player to enroll their sim in that feature. That's how it worked in Sims superstar and I really liked that. It kept an even medium between the regular gameplay and the new gameplay added with the pack.

I think the issue with Sims 3 is that they wanted to include a celebrity feature, but really couldn't devote too much time or energy on the project. So it ended up being a small add on that didn't really serve much of a purpose in the long run.

I would hope that they would put forth a little more effort in the future if we were to get "celebrities". That is a feature that I would definitely prefer regular sims not auto-enroll into.

I do believe that near the end of that series, they did give an opt-out feature on celebrities. But, I agree. There should be more to it than just chatting up a Townie celebrity. I was glad when ST came out, because now there was more of a reason for Sims to become 'famous'. I am well aware that their is a culture in US society that makes some people celebrities, leaving many of us ordinary types scratching our heads wondering just what they did to be famous. :/ A little tweaking would be more than welcomed.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Arkster93Arkster93 Posts: 154 Member
    I loved the celebrity system in Sims 3.
  • Options
    SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    I think it was fun in Sims 1, but too easy in the Sims 3, plus the paparazzi were really annoying :D
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I loved everything conceptually about Late Night.
    me too.
    Absolutely hated how it was implemented.
    I didn't quite hate it, but I ceratinlydidn't love it.
    I would like a distinction between social celebrities and performance celebrities.
    Social celebrities should work as it did in TS3, by who you know and who you are, but not only by that. There should be more to it. Perhaps what you wear, what you do, where you hangout, etc. I also didn't like the game making celebrities out of sims I did not want to be celebrities.
    That could work.
    They'd be more like socialite than a celebrity. Knowing celebrities should gain them points, but they themselves would not be celebrities.
    -Performance celebrities should become celebrities by talent and merit. You have to earn it.
    If only the real world worked like that. :p
    -Paparazzi shouldn't be persistent stalkers. They should only show up when there is something going on that's making you a hot subject. And you should have fun ways of getting rid of them.
    They were really annoying.
    I started dressing them all in robes, making them look like they belonged in a cult.
    -My bands made more money in the subway rabbit holes than they did gigs.
    Funny but true.
    I also had sims mugged in the subway, byebye busking money.

the TS3 celebrity system went too far, it was too easy to get into, and made half the town famous. It needed a bit of work, it could have been so much better. The over all idea wasn't too bad. The supernatural system was similar, too easy to get into, and resulting in too high a population of supernaturals.

Celebrity and supernatural systems need to be a lot more like the TS2 supernatural system, where they're rare, and hard to join, and only your active sim can get in.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    It was awful. Those paparazzi would stand outside, wouldn't go away, and yell. I turned it off.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Yes, exactly this.
    5JZ57S6.png