Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Does it Seem Like Cats and Dogs are Voiced by People?

Anyone else catch this? I've had pets in an extensive manner as I play and I noticed something. Instead of real soundbytes of meows and barks, its obviously a person/people doing impressions of cats and dogs. I wonder why that is.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to use real soundbytes of the animals instead of paying voice actors to do impressions?

Comments

• Options
    SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    Oh geez, horses too? Is it really that hard to get ahold of sound recordings of already domesticated animals??
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    It's hardly just a Sims thing. Animals in video games or other forms of animation (ie tv shows, movies, cartoons and so on) are almost always voiced by human voice actors. For the same reason that the vast majority of ambient sounds in any form of recorded entertainment are dubbed over by foley artists working in a recording studio after the fact. The audio is clearer and there's a lot more control and direction over the sounds you get.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    @3KNPen Oh ok. I guess that makes a bit more sense, especially in having specific and perhaps exaggerated (to help convey the mood of the animal etc) meows and barks etc.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    Like the person above said, using humans means that they'll have a lot more control over the end result and they rerecord if necessary for certain interactions.

Plus, could you imagine trying to get a dog, cat, or horse to record audio in a booth for hours at a time? The visual alone is pretty funny.
  • Options
    @Phantomflex Well, today we have several different ways to record sounds using certain microphones and recording equipment, but I understand that you don't get the best quality unless its in a studio in a controlled environment. That is clearly what they were after ultimately.
  • Options
    ElijahsBabyGurl9ElijahsBabyGurl9 Posts: 1,326 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »

I loved watching that review. "Unicorn Aurora cloud=carebears farting rainbows" and "Icecream truck=simless peddibear stalker" LOL omg those so bad those are hilarious. That review as awesome. He got himself a subscriber.

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    They used humans foh realz? Wouldn't it be better to go on sound archives and go from there?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    The only version that uses actual animals is one of the Pets games for DS/3DS (not sure which one).
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Because they actually are. They're a mixture of humans and animals.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The only version that uses actual animals is one of the Pets games for DS/3DS (not sure which one).
    They've used actual animals, but mixed them with human voices. For emotions apparently?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I think they wanted to exaggerate the emotions to make them much more obvious. They do a lot of exaggerative animations and voices in Sims