Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxing careers help

I've tried and tried, but I can't seem to get a sim to level 10 in a career on a normal life span. The closest I've gotten is level 9, and that was on a sim that started above level one in the career due to good grades. I almost always hit "work hard" and have the daily task done... what gives? I could really use some tips and tricks, because I feel I'm missing something here. I was hoping to play an apocalypse challenge, but without being able to max a career, I couldn't. I've never had this problem in other sims games, I don't know why it seems so hard in sims 4. Help!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Have you been having Sims go to work in the mood listed? That might help push you over the edge a bit faster.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    The connections reward trait is super helpful as it allows your sim to begin any career at L4 but you might not have access to that in an apocalypse challenge.

I usually clear a career in 20 sim days. The key is to always go to work in the longest correct moodlet you can and to always work hard until your sim shows negative moodlets and then switch to 'work normal'.

Depending on the career your founder is going to do will make the first career harder or easier due to the moodlet restrictions on an Apocalypse challenge. Inspired is probably one of the harder moods to get due to not being able to shower or gaze at clouds etc.

What career is your founder going to do?
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Make sure your Sims needs are as fully in the green as you can make them before sending them to work to keep them in a good mood for the whole shift. Then get them in the right mood for the day (or barring that get them Confident) then have them work hard all the time. Completing the daily tasks can make or break it if you're on the bubble so make sure to do them at least 50% of the way. Save up your whim points and pick up the Entrepreneurial reward trait as that one helps with promotions. You may also want to save up for the Carefree trait as that will stop your sim from getting tense from working hard all the time.

Getting them the Business Savvy bonus trait from the Money Aspirations can help as can the Ambitious trait. Avoid the Hot-Headed or Snob traits as they can bring about some really random tense/angry moods that can mess up a Sims day completely.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @NZsimm3r - I hadn't really thought that far ahead, being that I can't seem to get to level 10 in a career. I got close in the alphabet legacy I'm playing, but the sim died before getting to level 10.
  • Options
    @3KNPen - good advice. My sims always come home from work tense from working too hard. I wonder if that affects their promotions negatively?
  • Options
    @IllusoryThrall ok. Well... working hard is the key. You really have to push your sims through the levels.

Maxing charisma (by using the great kisser reward trait and kissing your way to L10) as early as possible is good so that you can use your sims phone to 'negotiate for a bonus' is great. your sim needs to have completed that days daily task and be in the correct mood for their job for this to be successful. It can still fail though so!

Making friends with colleges is supposed to help so I always do that. Once you find out who your sims work colleges are just target socials at them or make a club if you have Get Together.

Skilling up ahead of what skill level your sims needs before each promotion is also a good idea. I use Carl's career guides so I know what my sims needs at each level. http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/

Using the cow plant essence is super helpful as the moodlet lasts for 12 hours which is totally long enough for all career days. This means your sim can work hard even when exhausted. As long as a sim has a positive moodlet they can use the work hard tone. The minute a negative moodlet appears you have to swap it out as their career performance will actually take a hit if they continue to 'work hard', so you have to keep a close eye on what is going on. If you don't have a cloning machine to make many cow plant essences I use a 'sacrificial sim' whose I give the 'job' of creating enough cow plant essences for the working sim for each work day.

If you have spa day the mood baths along with burning the matching incense is great. The incense give the bath moodlet a boost and so it lasts for 8 hours (or might even be longer).

If you have get Together the clubs boost reward of being connected really helps to speed up promotions. You can also use the club vibe's to your advantage by making a home lot club and starting a meeting before your sim goes to work, that way the club vibe will last all work day.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    I have been using the Yoga mat for Inspiration, Focus, and Energy, those moodlets last for 12 hours.. The Mud bath works for Confidence. again for 12 hours.. That helps quite a bit..
  • Options
    @3KNPen - good advice. My sims always come home from work tense from working too hard. I wonder if that affects their promotions negatively?

It does, the tense negative moodlet can actually make the progress bar deplete and sims that are tense at work can actually miss out on a promotion even though the progress bar is maxed.

• Options
    azsimmer1 wrote: »
    I have been using the Yoga mat for Inspiration, Focus, and Energy, those moodlets last for 12 hours.. The Mud bath works for Confidence. again for 12 hours.. That helps quite a bit..

I hadn't even thought of using those - good idea!
  • Options
    KyliesswartzKyliesswartz Posts: 225 Member
    If you age up as a teen with As, you get a higher start in your career. My sims start on level 3.