Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's too easy to get rich (gardening)

coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
edited July 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Once I got all my plants to perfect quality, I can sell a full harvest at around $80k. This is far too much.. I shouldn't be able to sell a small stack of grapes for $20k.

I like some challenge in my game and because of this I don't harvest my garden, I keep it around just as decoration now. I wish money was handled more like The Sims 2 and not Sims 3. Actually this is worse balance than Sims 3.

Comments

• Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    You make a great point for those that are looking for more of a challenge.
    For me, gardening has been my 'go-to' money maker. I was able to open my first store, expand upon my house (add a basement, etc) because gardening is such a huge money maker.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Well if you keep that much in inventory, you could always be taxed on it. Then sell it later.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I actually made a cash crop garden with the intergalactic growth pod fruit grafted onto tomato plants so I could get cash quick. I used it so much I went ahead and put it up on the gallery. I know what you mean though, even though it's not technically cheating it does take away much of the challenge of starting from scratch. It looks like the harvested produce still increases in value if you leave it in your inventory while traveling around town. That is a bit too much even for me. A two week old tomato should be be moldy goo in my Sims pocket, not a gold nugget.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    If you want challenges (like I do) then you have to play other games. The Sims games are mainly intended to be toys for people who aren't real gamers and who don't like to be challenged. This was (in a lesser degree) true also for TS1 and every new version of the game has been even less challenging ever since. (TS4 is so trivial in this aspect that I can't even play it without feeling that I waste my time.)
  • Options
    that isnt true. In the Sims 2 I at least find myself having my sims working into retirement to save enough money for their kids. My sims don't get $5000 for growing a tomato..
  • Options
    that isnt true. In the Sims 2 I at least find myself having my sims working into retirement to save enough money for their kids. My sims don't get $5000 for growing a tomato..
    There are many ways to earn money fast in TS2. But the fastest way came with OFB where you can become extremely rich just by buying and selling real estate.
  • Options
    At least that kinda makes sense.. theres a lot of money involved in the real estate business in real life (and investment). I'm talking about growing a tomato.
  • Options
    At least that kinda makes sense.. theres a lot of money involved in the real estate business in real life (and investment). I'm talking about growing a tomato.
    No I can't agree because there were no realism at all in TS2 OFB. It was built on the following principles:
    1. You should always just use all your time to become close friends with your customers and you should always just aim for a low reasonable profit to make them buy.
    2. They will always buy the same number of goods no matter if you sell cheap goods (like eggs) average goods (like chairs) or expensive goods (like real estate houses). So you will always become very poor if you sells cheap goods like eggs or milk and extremely rich if you sell expensive goods like houses and even more rich if you sell more expensive houses.
    3. Your customers can always afford to buy even the most expensive houses and they sure will buy them if you just use your time to become their friends.

Where is the realism in this? Do you also buy the same number of expensive big houses as the number of your purchases of cakes, eggs, bread and pencils yourself? ;)
  • Options
    okay whatever you say man
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I see both sides of it.

Gardening is the money crop for Sims4 for those who don't want to use cheats and get a lot of money. Get a plant to perfect, harvest, hold in inventory ... sell for tons of simoleans. It is great, unless you want to have a garden for your sims to just have a garden and not to get rich.

What I wish they would do. is split it. For all the basic plants ( tomatoes, apples, whatever ) those are cheap, everyday staples that do not turn into mega-rich-luxiourous nuggets, but remain cheap. Here is 1 simolean for that tomato, regardless if it is poor quality or perfect. Itsa tomato. Eat and enjoy.

Let the spliced only plants and/or the alien plants ( UFO fruit, quill berry ) let those ones bloom and turn into mega bucks. That way, if you want a typical family garden to grow, you still can and if you want the cash crop you still can.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I like the gardening option of becoming rich .. I use it on some of my sims.
    However I recently started keeping gardens with lesser quality produce for some of my sims... because it's not always needed and I didn't want the upkeep or rotation of high priced plants to be a daily part of every sims lives.
    I'm playing scientists right now and I've replanted all their gardens to normal level plants and I don't evolve them. It was too hard to keep up with the rotation of high value perfect plants and figured out that for the serums anyway the quality of the plant doesn't seem to matter.. so I just splice them and keep smaller gardens for them. I have one living in a lot with daises and sage and carrots in the back.. so I don't even plant those for that particular sim.
    Also if you use plants for food preparation .. and I know you don't need too.. you can stop around superb level and it will make good dishes. At that level using them as snacks will also give a good moodlet (unless this has been patched differently recently).

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    No I can't agree because there were no realism at all in TS2 OFB. It was built on the following principles:
    1. You should always just use all your time to become close friends with your customers and you should always just aim for a low reasonable profit to make them buy.
    2. They will always buy the same number of goods no matter if you sell cheap goods (like eggs) average goods (like chairs) or expensive goods (like real estate houses). So you will always become very poor if you sells cheap goods like eggs or milk and extremely rich if you sell expensive goods like houses and even more rich if you sell more expensive houses.
    3. Your customers can always afford to buy even the most expensive houses and they sure will buy them if you just use your time to become their friends.

Where is the realism in this? Do you also buy the same number of expensive big houses as the number of your purchases of cakes, eggs, bread and pencils yourself? ;)

Actually..this does sum up rl in certain circles pretty well. lol :s
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Once I got all my plants to perfect quality, I can sell a full harvest at around $80k. This is far too much.. I shouldn't be able to sell a small stack of grapes for $20k.

I like some challenge in my game and because of this I don't harvest my garden, I keep it around just as decoration now. I wish money was handled more like The Sims 2 and not Sims 3. Actually this is worse balance than Sims 3.

I'm the same, by the time my garden is at perfect I really don't need it anymore. I actually really like the way gardening is handled in TS4 but it becomes crazy to continue harvesting it once your sims are rich anyway.

I like @Scobre idea of leaving the produce in your inventory overnight on Sunday so that when the bills are calculated (around 4am Monday morning) the bills will be substantially higher. Of course, if you leave the produce in your sims inventory longer than that it will just continue to go up in price so you'd have to sell it as soon as the bills arrive.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

I'm the same, by the time my garden is at perfect I really don't need it anymore. I actually really like the way gardening is handled in TS4 but it becomes crazy to continue harvesting it once your sims are rich anyway.

I like @Scobre idea of leaving the produce in your inventory overnight on Sunday so that when the bills are calculated (around 4am Monday morning) the bills will be substantially higher. Of course, if you leave the produce in your sims inventory longer than that it will just continue to go up in price so you'd have to sell it as soon as the bills arrive.
    Thanks and yeah it is using tax as an advantage to make the profit lower. It should work out well. Spliced plants usually sell for less too. So don't like making as much money with plants, start splicing them. I like gardening in the Sims 4 too. I just miss the multitasking aspect of it that the Sims 3 had with talking, that's all.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »

Actually..this does sum up rl in certain circles pretty well. lol :s
    I don't see that :) Where in rl do you find people who buy cars and houses every day and just as often as they buy cheap everyday things like bread, eggs and milk? ;)

If you run a rl business then you will probably go bankruptcy if you are more interested in becoming friends with all your customers than in getting good prices for your goods. So rl are for me to see the exact opposite of the way it worked in TS2 OFB.

I didn't really mind that though. But the game being way too easy and without real challenges was much worse for me and it is also the reason why I don't play TS4 anymore. Adjusting the difficulty degree so it suits everybody is probably impossible though. But this problem was easily solved in almost all games about 20 yrs ago by always letting us choose between about 5 difficulty degrees (from "very easy" and up to "impossible"). I have never understood why all the game companies just stopped giving us all those choices years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.