Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sandcastles

KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
We had a little discussion about various things in another thread (that I can't currently find) and the conversation veered towards the building of sandcastles skill.

I was aware that sims made different sandcastles and they seemed to become more complex the more they built but I never associated it with skill building to work on because it is a hidden skill and there are so many other skills that are not hidden on which to work.

Now I'm currently playing a large family. I have the assistance of several NRAAS mods and there are currently 8 young adults, 2 children 17 toddlers and 1 baby in the household.

I have one ya in the firefighter career because I've never played that career for long and he wants to be a firefighter.

I thought I'm soon going to have a lot of children and later on teens in this household. I have almost fully explored the toddler skills. They've maxed everything other than talking through the wugglesworth bear with another sim and the various walker and play pen skills. Some of the toddlers have done varying amounts of effort into those extra skills.

I decided to manually age the toddlers up to children as their life time happiness points reach 10,000. I'm trying to leave at least 1 day between each one of them so they aren't all the exact same age.

All of these toddlers were adopted. Only the baby was the result of a pregnancy. All of the adopted toddlers started out as babies and were aged up using a cake. I then aged them up to YA or Teen with cakes. Then decided I wanted to turn the all back into toddlers to do this little experiment. That had a few interesting side affects but they seem to be working well now.

I placed the sand box from the Carousel set indoors in their large beachside home. Actually their lot is on a sandbar just off the coast and is partially in the ocean. They have a boat and a car and their living is done underground. Above ground are a few huts to hide the stairs down to their underground home, and a huge tower I built to house the group science project when one of them achieves it. The only other structure above ground is a swimming pool and hot tub complex.

I found I could place this particular sandbox indoors without using the moo cheat. I tried another sandbox but it needed the cheat so I left is out.

I aged up Harry to be a child and he started school and is working on cooking on the toy oven.

The next day I aged up Lana. She is working on her sandcastle building skill.

This is her latest sandcastle.
Screenshot_503.jpguploadimage

I see when I click on the sand I get a pop up with a list of sandcastles she can currently build. Her list is:
Sandman; Whale; Freezer Sand Bunny; Fancy Castle; Castle; Outpost; Starfish; Pail Presidio; Octopus; Best buddies

I previously posted a picture of the octopus sandcastle that was built by a mermaid child I have in another world. I got a screen shot of it when I saw it as I'd never seen an octopus sandcastle before. Here it is again.
Mary_Anne006.jpgx

Please post your sandcastle images too if you have any you'd like to share. I'll share more as I find them in my game.

BTW: I have all of my options turned down to lowest settings to let me play this game without getting error 12 or crashing.

Comments

• Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    When my sims were in Isla Paradiso all they could make was a big pile of dirt with some twigs in it :lol:. I think they need some more practice. I don't think I've seen either of those sandcastles.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    coco wrote: »
    When my sims were in Isla Paradiso all they could make was a big pile of dirt with some twigs in it :lol:. I think they need some more practice. I don't think I've seen either of those sandcastles.

LOL! You have to admit that whoever came up with these results for sims at very low skill levels has an awesome sense of humor. Those early stick figure and pink blob monster paintings, forgetting to let go of the ball when bowling, wood oven pizzas that get stuck to the ceiling when the dough is tossed, werewolves who try to howl at the moon and end up having a coughing fit, piles of dirt with twigs...ever try to play a low skilled Showtime Magician? Hilarious. :p

I think I'm the one responsible here for mentioning sandcastles and giving all these sims something new to work on now. Sorry about that! :o
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    coco wrote: »

That's why I started this thread as I want to see all of the sandcastles and I'm not sure if I have the staying power to keep working on it for long enough - depending on how many of them there are.

I have an idea that the number of sculptures a sim could theoretically make is a sufficiently high number that it is highly unlikely I'll ever have a Sim make them all, and I wonder if sandcastles have a similar number of different designs.
  • Options
    It seems sandcastles really are not that interesting. My child sim has continued to make them and hasn't learned any new ones beyond the list I posted earlier. She no longer has a blue bar above her head when she is building sandcastles either.

I have the mod that shows skill levels for hidden skills. There is no sandcastle skill showing in her list of skills.

I got pictures of a few of the different sandcastles and may post a few at some stage.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    We had a little discussion about various things in another thread (that I can't currently find) and the conversation veered towards the building of sandcastles skill.

I was aware that sims made different sandcastles and they seemed to become more complex the more they built but I never associated it with skill building to work on because it is a hidden skill and there are so many other skills that are not hidden on which to work.

Now I'm currently playing a large family. I have the assistance of several NRAAS mods and there are currently 8 young adults, 2 children 17 toddlers and 1 baby in the household.

I have one ya in the firefighter career because I've never played that career for long and he wants to be a firefighter.

I thought I'm soon going to have a lot of children and later on teens in this household. I have almost fully explored the toddler skills. They've maxed everything other than talking through the wugglesworth bear with another sim and the various walker and play pen skills. Some of the toddlers have done varying amounts of effort into those extra skills.

I decided to manually age the toddlers up to children as their life time happiness points reach 10,000. I'm trying to leave at least 1 day between each one of them so they aren't all the exact same age.

All of these toddlers were adopted. Only the baby was the result of a pregnancy. All of the adopted toddlers started out as babies and were aged up using a cake. I then aged them up to YA or Teen with cakes. Then decided I wanted to turn the all back into toddlers to do this little experiment. That had a few interesting side affects but they seem to be working well now.

I placed the sand box from the Carousel set indoors in their large beachside home. Actually their lot is on a sandbar just off the coast and is partially in the ocean. They have a boat and a car and their living is done underground. Above ground are a few huts to hide the stairs down to their underground home, and a huge tower I built to house the group science project when one of them achieves it. The only other structure above ground is a swimming pool and hot tub complex.

I found I could place this particular sandbox indoors without using the moo cheat. I tried another sandbox but it needed the cheat so I left is out.

I aged up Harry to be a child and he started school and is working on cooking on the toy oven.

The next day I aged up Lana. She is working on her sandcastle building skill.

This is her latest sandcastle.
    Screenshot_503.jpguploadimage

I see when I click on the sand I get a pop up with a list of sandcastles she can currently build. Her list is:
    Sandman; Whale; Freezer Sand Bunny; Fancy Castle; Castle; Outpost; Starfish; Pail Presidio; Octopus; Best buddies

I previously posted a picture of the octopus sandcastle that was built by a mermaid child I have in another world. I got a screen shot of it when I saw it as I'd never seen an octopus sandcastle before. Here it is again.
    Mary_Anne006.jpgx

Please post your sandcastle images too if you have any you'd like to share. I'll share more as I find them in my game.

BTW: I have all of my options turned down to lowest settings to let me play this game without getting error 12 or crashing.

I had no idea there was a sandcastle skill! Is it just for children? How do I do it?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    @nickibitsward children and older sims can play in the sand and build sandcastles. I'm not sure which expansion you need for this. I have them all so my sims can do it. Unfortunately toddlers can't play in the sand.

Sims will play in the sand at the beach, or in a sand box.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I believe you need Island Paradise to build in the sand at a beach? Sand boxes come with Generations and you can can buy some in TS3 store.

In the current challenge I'm playing, I have not unlocked IP yet. I will have to double check.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The hidden skill requires Generations, there are 4 levels, and 10 different structures.

Sorry @Karritz - I hadn't noticed your list earlier or I would have mentioned that your sim apparently can already make them all.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    The hidden skill requires Generations, there are 4 levels, and 10 different structures.

Sorry @Karritz - I hadn't noticed your list earlier or I would have mentioned that your sim apparently can already make them all.

Thank you.

Now I have the answer - I sort of lost interest but I'll take more notice of what they're doing in the sand now. I think I've seen them all but not necessarily got pictures of them all.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Karritz wrote: »
    @nickibitsward children and older sims can play in the sand and build sandcastles. I'm not sure which expansion you need for this. I have them all so my sims can do it. Unfortunately toddlers can't play in the sand.

Sims will play in the sand at the beach, or in a sand box.

Thanks, I have them all so I'm going to try this.
  • Options
    I believe you need Island Paradise to build in the sand at a beach? Sand boxes come with Generations and you can can buy some in TS3 store.

In the current challenge I'm playing, I have not unlocked IP yet. I will have to double check.

I have IP but I don't often play in that world. Hopefully it will work in other worlds.