Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do I have to uninstall Sims 3 to upgrade to Win 10?

I feel that I should take advantage of the free windows 10 offer but I'm concerned about my sims game. Do I uninstall my game first and then upgrade to win 10, then reinstall my game? Or do I just install win 10 and hope for the best? Could really use some input. I searched first but didn't find the answer to this question.
Screenshot-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Back up your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder if possible and upgrade. There shouldn't be any reason to uninstall the game.
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Oh Thank you @TreyNutz! Looks like I'm spending my day off upgrading. Wish me luck!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I found out my PC got upgraded to Windows 10 last night - my son was using it and it started upgrading. I didn't get a chance to back up anything so I can only hope it is still all there. I haven't actually played on it since about June 2014 though so I probably won't know if anything is missing or not.
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I haven't updated yet. Every computer in the house has forced its update except mine. I guess I'm used to things going wrong. Let us know how it goes! :smile:
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I upgraded a few months ago from win 7 to 10 .my internet had problems till I upgraded but nothing really changed about my files .but I love win 10 .but also was afraid,before upgrading,that my sims 3 wouldn't work like others reported .glad to say mine works just fine .it should work fine for you as well
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You should not have any issue upgrading to Windows 10, but in case, you can backup your folders via a external source, such as a flash drive, hard drive, etc.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Well, I tried to upgrade - twice - and it would not take! I kept getting an error message about some update that would not load. I decided to leave well enough alone. If and when I get a new computer I will get 10, for now still 7. :)
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I had Win 10 and my sims 3 game was glitchy (and it was a reinstall of the game). Went back to Win 8.1 and did another reinstall and it works better than I remember it did lol.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    Oh Thank you @TreyNutz! Looks like I'm spending my day off upgrading. Wish me luck!

Some computers are not compatible with windows 10. If you have 8.1 you should be ok but If you have windows 7 or below its possible you older hardware may not be compatible . Would need to know your computer specs if this is the case. If you have 8.1 just make sure when you upgrade to 10 that you pull the sims 3 folder from documents and save it to a flash drive just in case. When you upgrade to windows 10 make sure you update all your drivers including video card

If you could please post you computer specs if on windows 7 or lower OS I can get a better idea of what is going on. Windows key + R key will open your run box in the lower left hand corner of your computer. In the run box type DxDiag. Hit ok, let it load than choose to save a copy to your desktop. Open the DxDiag text file at desktop, copy and past the report in several sections in several posts. The file is too long to put in one post Thank you
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    I upgraded when it was released and I had no problem and my Sims 3 is working fine. You should still have all your files and everything be ok, because I didnt back up anything and my installation was smooth and fast. And it was a Window 7 no problem like most people say that if your computer is lower OS it would have problem, Not true I upgraded mines and it was just fine no problems. My files was all intact and my computer ran much better now since I upgraded. Best choice I ever made and Im happy with windows 10.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It's not having Win 7 itself that is a problem for many of us. It's that we have graphics cards and/or other devices that are not yet obsolete and function just fine, but for which there are no Win 10 suitable drivers. And some systems and combinations of hardware are just not going to take to the upgrade well.

It's great that so many are having positive experiences with Win 10. But I'm sorry, that alone is not enough to recommend the upgrade for everyone without knowing more about the hardware they are working with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    When I get home I will try and upload specs but I am really fine with just staying with 7. I have noticed that my game and other games will just freeze. That kind of bugs me. Thanks everyone for the info!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    lovlyb wrote: »
    I upgraded when it was released and I had no problem and my Sims 3 is working fine. You should still have all your files and everything be ok, because I didnt back up anything and my installation was smooth and fast. And it was a Window 7 no problem like most people say that if your computer is lower OS it would have problem, Not true I upgraded mines and it was just fine no problems. My files was all intact and my computer ran much better now since I upgraded. Best choice I ever made and Im happy with windows 10.

Some people have computer hardware that is not compatible with windows 10. The hardware is too old and can not support windows 10.
  • Options
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    When I get home I will try and upload specs but I am really fine with just staying with 7. I have noticed that my game and other games will just freeze. That kind of bugs me. Thanks everyone for the info!

Your better off keeping 7 and when you need a new computer , than get 10. If you decide you want 10 please post your specs. We have had several people have to revert back to their old OS because their computer did not support windows 10
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I like Windows 10 but some people still like Windows 7, for me windows 10 runs the Sims 3 alright.
  • Options
    juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    My old laptop said it was compatible but took forever to download and I give up in the end. It's going to my nephews this weekend. I've left the sims games on there and I know my nephew will be so excited to play the sims. I'll be hos favourite auntie lol
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)