Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about mixology

kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
I have 2 sims at level 3 mixology and the 'Practice Making Drinks' is suddenly greyed out. They can only 'Have a quick drink,' or 'Make quick drinks.'

Kind of new to this and have searched everywhere but all I can find is a jump glitch in relation to my query, which I'm not experiencing.

Was hoping someone here could give me a few tips.

All I've used for the skill so far is the bar. Do I need to read books or do something else to advance the skill?
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Normally not. I have a few sims who have some points for mixology - not few points - and they can just use bars. I know that with some bars, you can't do a lot except for 'make quick drinks', but with those bars 'practice making drinks' isn't greyed out, it just isn't there.
  • Options
    Hm. The option was there on both bars for both sims (2 different households), but it went grey once they both reached level 3 (never changed the bars). I thought the first one happened because she was pregnant, but it's happening to my single male now too.

Ah. Just had a thought and tried one of the bars that came with Late Night. That one is not greyed out.

The other 2 bars I had the issue with are:
    1. From the store—Safari Living: Dessert Oasis Bar
    2. From the base game—Family Time Bar

Guess I'll have to stick to the bigger bars from Late Night?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Is the professional bar on their home lot or a community one? I believe that Sims cannot practice making drinks at a bar where a Role Sim is assigned to tend bar and is supposed to be on duty (even if they aren't actually at their assigned station at the time).

If it's on their home lot though, that's odd. Have you tried replacing the professional bar with a new one?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Oh, I should have waited before posting. Unless you have icarus_allsorts' bar mod in play, only the two professional LN bars can handle mixology. All of the other smaller ones can only be used to make Quick Drinks (aka sugar water). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    Is the professional bar on their home lot or a community one? I believe that Sims cannot practice making drinks at a bar where a Role Sim is assigned to tend bar and is supposed to be on duty (even if they aren't actually at their assigned station at the time).

If it's on their home lot though, that's odd. Have you tried replacing the professional bar with a new one?

They're both on the home lot. So far, I've discovered that I have to use the Professional bars from Late Night. I was unaware of this. I thought I could use any bar. My bad.
  • Options
    Oh, I should have waited before posting. Unless you have icarus_allsorts' bar mod in play, only the two professional LN bars can handle mixology. All of the other smaller ones can only be used to make Quick Drinks (aka sugar water). :)

Thanks so much @igazor You're a great help as usual. Could you point me in the direction of that mod? Pretty please? :D
  • Options
    Certainly. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=527902

Some of the animations for the smaller bars can be a bit off and you do have to make sure there is enough room on both sides of them for the sim using it and one who might ask for a drink to maneuver, but it tends to work very well.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Certainly. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=527902

Some of the animations for the smaller bars can be a bit off and you do have to make sure there is enough room on both sides of them for the sim using it and one who might ask for a drink to maneuver, but it tends to work very well.

Excellent. I'll try this out when I get back from brunch. From what I understand, I can't have counters on either side right next the the bar if I use this mod? I have one that is part of an island counter setup. I may have to revamp the layout a bit, right?

Off to brunch now. I had other plans today, but it's raining and I won't be able to do what I originally planned. It will be sims for me today :)
  • Options
    That's going to take some experimentation I think. Don't recall having issues to the left and right of the smaller bars, more so routing problems that were easy to fix in front of and behind. The illustrations icarus provides on the mod page seem to support what I am remembering. But as always, different players may experience different things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Seems to work just fine with my current layout so far. Only thing I can't do is tend the bar with all the clutter around the object, but he can build his skill, which is what I want. I more or less want him to be the type who drinks alone anyway. This will definitely help for my bartender though, even though I'll have to way until her tot ages up. :) Thanks again.