Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those who like pretty graphics, here's a way to get the prettiest.

GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
I came across a tool called ReShade, which is basically a versatile yet easy to use toolkit version of those SweetFX shader packages some gamers like to use. There's a bunch of effects that look particularly sweet in TS3, such as depth of field, ambient occlusion and lens flares.
It's perfect for giving your game that extra realistic edge, especially if you have unused computing power lying around. So if you have a beefy PC and a basic understanding of how graphics work in video games, you might just love this!

Tutorial on ModTheSims: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=579491
v1 version of my "All-Round Alright" preset: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=584854 (currently working on v2)

And a few screenshots I took myself, just so you can see it in action on a high-end PC:
Y8f5YjI.jpg
B2dsSvL.png
cVEeZmH.jpg
QXdi7wt.png
TY8nUaF.png
BfDbD7c.jpg
4rOq8EI.png

These screenshots were taken on 3 different PCs. All have Nvidia graphics cards. Most screenshots were taken on a GTX 1070, the rest on a GTX 960 and a GTX 650. I'm also using other visual mods, so your game may look very different depending on what mods you do and don't use, and what settings you use ReShade with.

- Pi
Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
(oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
Post edited by GrijzePilion on

Comments

• Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    That first picture is AMAZING!
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I love that water <3 I want that water. Does it effect the shadows indoors too?
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Sadly I've heard it's not laptop compatible at least not yet. :( It's all I've seen on tumblr but I can't use it and I'm sad. It looks great.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I will have to poke at this. :) Thanks for the heads up.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Sadly I've heard it's not laptop compatible at least not yet. :( It's all I've seen on tumblr but I can't use it and I'm sad. It looks great.

Really why not :(
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    This makes me so sad :( I have a basic laptop, but hopefully I will buy a gaming pc soon.

Thank you so much it looks so beautiful, this even makes me want to live in Bridgeport :#
    Anyways, what is you pc specs?
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited July 2016

As long as you have a gaming PC (be it a desktop or laptop), you will be able to use it without any issue. Computers with a integrated graphics card, which is not meant for any gaming what so ever, will most likely struggle.

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops range around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops range around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailer).
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

As long as you have a gaming PC (be it a desktop or laptop), you will be able to use it without any issue. Computers with a integrated graphics card, which is not meant for any gaming what so ever, will most likely struggle.

Gaming desktops range around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailer).

Yes, I have a gaming laptop but I've been watching tumblr users with laptops try to figure it out for 2 days, some I'm sure have powerful enough laptops. And if you click the link it specifies that the issue is with laptops with dedicated nVidia cards... no specification that it's only low end cards.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited July 2016

Yes, I have a gaming laptop but I've been watching tumblr users with laptops try to figure it out for 2 days, some I'm sure have powerful enough laptops. And if you click the link it specifies that the issue is with laptops with dedicated nVidia cards... no specification that it's only low end cards.

Does it effect laptops with dedicated AMD cards?

Seems to be a program issue then - there may be a fix soon. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    The water in that first pic really does look amazing, Pi. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    ReShade?? Well I kind of have that on my PC already I use Overwolf + SweetFX app installed on Overwolf I never knew you could use it on the Sims, I never tried that I mostly use it for Guild of Wars 2 (It makes the game look pretty) if you use the Overwolf app there is less messing around with ReShade stuff it's already set but I never did try it with the Sims...hummm this makes me want to check to see how it looks.

• Options

Does it effect laptops with dedicated AMD cards?

Seems to be a program issue then - there may be a fix soon. :)

Doesn't say so so I assume they're fine.

That's my hope is that's all it is. I really want it lol.
  • Options
    KHS12 wrote: »
    That first picture is AMAZING!

I know...it's real pretty. I've always liked taking screenshots from that angle (example 1, example 2) but these effects just add sooo much.
    Anyways, what is you pc specs?
    Nothing particularly fancy. I took these screenshots in 3840x2160 on my GTX 960, i7-3770K Windows 7 PC with 16 gigabytes of RAM, but it also runs in 1920x1200 on my other pc, which has a GTX 650, a i5-3350P, Windows 8 and 8 gigs of RAM. The framerate's a bit low at the moment but my next PC won't have any issues with that...I'm getting a GTX 1070.

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @GrijzePilion great pictures :smiley:

I am tempted to use this ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Ha, apparently it is possible to make it run on a laptop with nVidia graphics 'cause I got it to run afterall. I was bored and desperate enough to fight it if I had to... but it didn't give me a lot of trouble.

So yay. I'm happy now lol. I spent like an hour setting it up how I wanted. Probably will play with it more later. So much you can do it's great.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I love that water <3 I want that water. Does it effect the shadows indoors too?

It just effects the whole game screen so indoors outdoors wherever it will change things. You might get a different effect for each though so you might have to work to find a good balance depending on what settings you have. Like it changes everything down to the UI panel.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    Can you set the effects? Because though it definitely works in the first picture, one of the things I don't like in 4 is the default blurry distance.

ETA: sorry, first click, then ask ;) It's all explained in the link. Looks amazing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited July 2016
    It looks amazing but I don't want to do all that stuff :p
  • Options
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't. I however, I'm pretty plumming serious when it comes to TS3 and will do everything I can to get the absolute best game I can. I've been thinking of redesigning the whole game's UI - that's doable, but it will take a plum ton of time.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't. I however, I'm pretty plumming serious when it comes to TS3 and will do everything I can to get the absolute best game I can. I've been thinking of redesigning the whole game's UI - that's doable, but it will take a plum ton of time.
    You can be serious when it comes to Sims 3 in other ways than graphics ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    android00b7android00b7 Posts: 201 Member
    I hate real life, so I get my kicks by living fake life in sims 3. Rather shallow in real life myself, awesome graphics are a must for me. It's an existential replacement for walks in the forest at dusk and sand dunes at sunrise
    The SweetFX is great looking, still havent tried it though
    Eventually. Doing stuff is at least moderately entertaining for this grump

I've been using this ENB:
    http://modthesims.info/d/542157
    With various palettes
    From this guy atm
    http://www.moddb.com/members/iasonskullsaber/downloads

Doesn't capture in screenshots unfortunately and looks like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in 3rd party shots I've taken so idk check it out
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ENB looks like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 though. The reason I've only started using shaders now is because A: I can easily customize the settings, B: because it won't cause issues with my game and can be easily uninstalled if needed. I'd never use one of those presets, they're awful.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    That first picture looks like a real place. <Jaw drops>
  • Options
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    That first picture looks like a real place. <Jaw drops>

I know, it's definitely the nicest screenshot I've ever taken in a Sims game...and believe me, I've taken many thousands. I'm on ~11000 screenshots in my current install of TS3, and though there's quite a few screenshots I'm much prouder of, this one's the prettiest.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    That's really cool!

I've been checking out the Reshade hashtag on Tumblr, and the possibilities for this seem endless. I saw this set done in TS3 and this set done in TS4 which caught my eye.