Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag, Lag, Lag....

My game runs fast but every time I get my family so far they start lagging. I've tried removing extra cars and spaces in edit town but it still happens. I just got new hard drives installed in my Alienware and re-downloaded everything new. I don't have any mods or hacks but I did hear that there are mods that clean up the game for you. I want this mod please

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi there. Everyone reading this will know that I am anxious to get to the mod part (see my signature line), but let's cover a couple of other things first if we could. :)

-- Which worlds are you playing in (or are they all playing about the same)? A few EA worlds, most notably Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport, are known to be extra challenging to work with before they start lagging or glitching up.

-- You mentioned new hard drives, but what graphics card are you playing on and, if it's one of the newer or higher powered ones, have you taken steps to limit its frame rate? You can check on the frame rate you are actually getting in game with ctrl-shift-C to bring up the cheats console and fps on (enter). As you play or move the game camera around, the fps rate reported should not be wandering very far beyond 60 (or 120 if you have a 120 Hz monitor, but those aren't very common). To make the fps reported on go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

If it's not a world or a graphics card fps issue and we are really talking about a game that starts out very well but slowly starts lagging and glitching up by around the 2nd or 3rd generation, then it's time to talk about mods. Removing cars and parking spaces are only two things worth worrying about, there are plenty of others that the mods can help with.

Here is an illustrated guide on how to set up the Framework to work with package based content in case you need this. Mods are always package based. The page includes a download of the entire Framework needed (it's really just three folders nested correctly and the required Resource.cfg file) and includes two small sample mods to help you verify that it's all working. If the Intro movie upon startup is suppressed and you get a notification that you have two script mods in place, then you're all set to add your own mods.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

The two most popular NRaas mods that clean up in-game glitches, situations that were never meant to happen, and can help prevent the game from lagging up are Overwatch and ErrorTrap. Overwatch does have some options associated with it, but most users don't have to adjust those. ErrorTrap has no options, it just runs when it's in place.

Next in line would be Register to assist with Role/Service Sim management (no one needs 40,000 invisible resort workers that can spawn behind the scenes otherwise) and Traffic for vehicle management (no one needs 40,000 invisible cars or limousines clogging things up either, although Overwatch will catch up with those eventually Traffic has settings that can help stop them from ever spawning).

Here is where to get them: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/NRaas+Industries+Home+Continued#The Mods

You will also find on our site that each mod has a General Info page, a comprehensive Interactions page (except for mods like ErrorTrap that have no interactions), and an FAQ page.

Here is where to turn for more tips and things that help improve game performance, not all of them mod related:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance

Here is a good place to ask for extra help as needed: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
    (anyone may download, but free registration required to post)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited June 2016
    @garobesu I definitely can recommend Overwatch and ErrorTrap. The link that igazor posted above, tips for better game performance, helped me tremendously. B)
  • Options
    EehnaEehna Posts: 77 Member
    I would also advice you to look into world fixes - world files that someone has re-made to be less laggy.
    Ellacharmed over at ModTheSims has made fixes for all EA worlds, and they really help my game.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    garobesu wrote: »
    My game runs fast but every time I get my family so far they start lagging. I've tried removing extra cars and spaces in edit town but it still happens. I just got new hard drives installed in my Alienware and re-downloaded everything new. I don't have any mods or hacks but I did hear that there are mods that clean up the game for you. I want this mod please

what video card do you have on your laptop? Are you using vsync? This game has no fps limiter so you have to cap the fps.That will cause lag. Im also guessing at the moment since your on laptop, you have two video cards so you need to make sure your game is using the correct video card. What model Alienware do you have?