Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Teach child to..." / "Show child how to..."

SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
edited May 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
How great is it that we (as a Sim) can help our Sim youth with their homework? I think it's a great ability for our parent Sims! Aside from a few actions/social choices, there isn't much else a Sim can do as a parent, unfortunately...

What if we could choose to have our adult Sims teach children skills that are exclusive to adult Sims, to prepare them for Young Adult/Adult Sim life? Cooking, Repairing (objects that aren't dangerous if mishandled ie: electronics), Gardening... teaching these skills (and others) could give your Sims more opportunity to interact with one another, instead of making kids just sit at their desk coloring all day, or playing alone/reading to learn skills - which is still great, on its own, since kids in the Real World should learn independently as well - but, I feel like there aren't enough interactions between young adults/adults and child Sims that aren't just chatting options.

What do you think? Would you enjoy playing The Sims 4 a little bit more if your adult Sims had more interactions with their children, which would benefit them both in Skill building and Relationship levels?

Thank you for reading!

~ Katherine
Post edited by Skidoodilybop on

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yes!!!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Probably because while kids can be smart, they're not that smart.
    If my dad tried to mentor 8-year old me in Rocket Science, it would've flown right over my head. Kid bodybuilders are incredibly rare. Child guitarists rarely sell out Wembley Stadium and Budokan. You get the odd cooking show with kids, but they're not exactly making Consommé.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I wish there were more to do with parents/kids myself.

Though, i don't want to see a mentoring type thing where kids could start to learn the adult skills, I like the fact how the kids are allowed to be kids and they have their own skillsets. I like how the system is currently set up.

But I would love to see more of a help mom with/help dad with type of thing. Like mom is cooking ... child can help mom with cooking. Go to the fridge, get out ingredients and bring them to her, or stir the contents of a bowl. Help dad with repair ... maybe show the kid grabbing the wrench and dad showing how to tighten/loosen. I would love to see more parent/child things together.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Yes to this. It would be good if children could help or be taught by parents in some particular basic skills, like cooking, painting or drawing for example. These could be tied to fridges, easels or that children's playdesk item. etc.,
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    If my dad tried to mentor 8-year old me in Rocket Science, it would've flown right over my head. Kid bodybuilders are incredibly rare. Child guitarists rarely sell out Wembley Stadium and Budokan. You get the odd cooking show with kids, but they're not exactly making Consommé.

You have to learn somehow! My dad let me help him make dinners, and I loved being shown how to fix things! I also have many memories of helping out in the garden when I was a youth. Just like how playing on the monkey bars gives you a little kickstart with Fitness as an adult, why can't helping your parent cook dinner go towards your Cooking Skills as an adult - or doing your homework give you a head start on your Writing/Logic skills as an adult? I also find it sad that you are limited to a short selection of books you can read to your child. In previous Sims games, your kids could read a wide selection of books that boosted their skills, which helped in adulthood.

My best friend's dad taught her younger brother (Corey) to play guitar (and he had piano lessons) when he was a little kid, and every night they'd jam. Now Corey's in his late 20's and traveling the world with his band! In fact, lots of kids take lessons in music, or sports, and other extra-curricular activities that carry on through their adulthood, and help them hone their soon-to-be-professional skills! It's not about mastering something as a Sim Child, but to begin the learning process, with the help of a teacher/coach/parent, before you're an adult! :smiley:
  • Options
    Any other ideas for making it more interesting when playing as a Child Sim?
  • Options
    NeniReniNeniReni Posts: 6 New Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Kid bodybuilders...How cute...
  • Options
    iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    It would be wonderful! :)
    I wish this was possible because i feel that in this game there is not enough bonding between parents and children!
    I miss the sims 3 whims that parents got to teach toddlers things or a child getting an A at school ot high school, having whims about their children gettinf married or beind grandparens :) Doesn't anyone miss that??? I miss them very much :) This is also family play to me!
  • Options
    Aaah! I'm so excited that the new DLC will be "Parenthood" themed! Thank you to everyone who may have expressed interest in this topic. It's nice to know that our tiny additions to these forum threads don't go completely unnoticed :)