Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tragic Clown Implimentation - How and Why?

This isn't really CC or mod related but it is related to the technical side of things. At least I assume it is, and so this seemed the best forum to ask.

I was curious to know why the Tragic Clown has been implimented as a role that any random NPC can be pulled to fullfil instead of being a unique NPC like the Grim Reaper.
I was looking forward to a new UNIQUE NPC. I wasn't expecting it to be A Tragic Clown and not THE Tragic Clown. So, considering unique NPCs CAN be made (Grim Reaper), why is the Tragic Clown just a role performed by random Sims in the world like with the bartender, repairmen, postal workers, etc?

It's a little immersion breaking to possibly have a Sim I've seen walking around the world as a regular Sim suddenly teleport onto my lot because I looked at a painting of a clown. I like the Sims unique quirkiness but sometimes this is spoilt when the way things work seemingly break the rules of the game's own universe.

I'm not sure I really expect an answer to this as I would assume it is deemed to be info that shouldn't be shared with the players. Either way. I've got it out of my system now.

Care to comment @SimGuruModSquad ?
a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
Thoughts on a new wall mode?

Comments

• Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hey @Alistu,

It was a design decision so that the NPC could age, have relationships, marry, etc. I believe fictionally the TC is not considered a supernatural type creature like the the grim reaper. Sorry to hear that breaks your immersion, feedback received.

-SGMS
  • Options
    Simmer_RaySimmer_Ray Posts: 534 Member
    I think it cause the supernatural tragic clown basically die in the sims 3 if I'm not mistaken if you look it up sunny the tragic clown was a ghost now in the sims 3 so if in the sims 4 he still dead so his effect on people has carried on to random people that how I took it since he suppose to be dead something like how the joker die in Gotham or like I'm a few batman series his effect and laughter goes on even if he not alive
    6d857729b5cf50b45c3a0cb8a112146f.gif
  • Options
    AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the pleasantly unexpected reply, @SimGuruModSquad.
    With the type of NPC he has been in the past, I would not have expected him to age anyway. I'd never given any though to players who may like to add him to their playable families. Although I'm still not sure I understand fully because we were given access to the full Tragic Clown outfit and effects via CAS anyway so if we want a tragic clown in the family we can just create our own.
    The Reaper can still have relationships though, right? Just nothing romantic other than flirting.

With this explained, I suppose the only issue I have now with the way the clown works is this: I viewed the painting and a clown appeared as he should. I played the Lot a little while before saving and quitting the game. When I loaded the game up the next time I did some building via Manage Worlds. When I returned to play the Lot with the tragic clown, the townie was still on the lot and was still dressed as the tragic clown but he was no longer considered to be filling the role. The little red role text was gone from his name tooltip and I was able to ask him to leave.
    Is this a result of Manage Worlds resetting things?
    Post edited by Alistu on
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'd like the clown to be like the reaper too, not aging and not being able to marry to. Though he should stay killable.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    It's so immersion breaking the way TC was implemented, i wish he could be a unique NPC.
  • Options
    akiereyakierey Posts: 1 New Member
    I would prefer that the NPC that spawns as the tragic clown stays the tragic clown unless they are married into the family or sent to the netherworld. In those cases, a new tragic clown should spawn to take the previous one's place. (I also kind of feel this way about the bear NPC in Granite Falls, and even the Grim Reaper.) I'm not sure how doable that would be for future NPCs, but that is my take on it.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I would like a unique NPC too. I have characters created with a certain style and it would hurt to see my lover, non committed, gorgeous sim be the tragic clown. :(
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I was hoping for him to be unique as well with some set traits like goofball, childish or outgoing to make him be more inclined to socialize and use mischief and funny socials and since he is sad all the time he would fail at them. I also wanted the hermit from Granite Falls to be a unique sim since it's weird to see the sims spawn in the deep woods and then later see them at the park in normal clothes.
  • Options
    zap608zap608 Posts: 82 Member
    This is an NCP from the Sims 1. I have been avoiding playing since this introduction as I really don't like the idea. However if the only way this NCP will turn up is the picture then I will never use it and search every building on new lots for the picture and delete it. Personally I don't like NCPs, I would love the option to delete them for good. If they ever brought some real intrest to game playing I would be all for them, but bench sleepers, pointless gardeners, fisherman, bears, etc. No, give me something useful that doesn't add to the sigh factor and makes me want to play. How about a famous NCP, I am limited here as my nickname is Bones, but a scientist, pop star, chef, athlete, or how about we get to pick one? It doesn't have to be a real media person just a Sim world one would do.
    Find me; Freeasabird, The Shed @ Sims 4 Studio. Custom content for The Sims 4.
  • Options
    iAnimeFreakiAnimeFreak Posts: 66 Member
    I honestly never use the painting because I miss Sunny the Tragic Clown, and the fact that random sims become a tragic clown upsets me.
  • Options
    zap608 wrote: »
    This is an NCP from the Sims 1. I have been avoiding playing since this introduction as I really don't like the idea. However if the only way this NCP will turn up is the picture then I will never use it and search every building on new lots for the picture and delete it. Personally I don't like NCPs, I would love the option to delete them for good. If they ever brought some real intrest to game playing I would be all for them, but bench sleepers, pointless gardeners, fisherman, bears, etc. No, give me something useful that doesn't add to the sigh factor and makes me want to play. How about a famous NCP, I am limited here as my nickname is Bones, but a scientist, pop star, chef, athlete, or how about we get to pick one? It doesn't have to be a real media person just a Sim world one would do.

I can't say I have ever met a player who doesn't like having NPCs in the game. So you'd rather there was no mail carrier, repairman, or Grim Reaper too? They are all NPCs as well.
    They are there to add the illusion of life to the game. There would be a lot less going on without them populating your worlds.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited May 2016
    Isn't this thread kind of off topic for this section as it's not about mods or modding?
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I'm personally glad he's not unique... not being able to marry, age or be playable without too much trouble breaks immersion for me. I can understand why people like special NPCs because they make moments where they appear feel special but for someone like me who likes to shape my own stories, it's nice that NPCs are treated like part of the community, The Sims is like a utopia and I personally love it :3
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Right, then just make your own. Of course then all those sims are culled, which isn't at all immersion breaking.

/s
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    I just want NPCs that are actually non playable characters that we can't touch. I know many players like to marry up their Sims to NPCs and have some hybrid baby. However, people do love those that can't be married like Mrs. Crumplebottom who has a set of actions and if you try to interact with her (because the options were on her pie menu) you get slapped with a purse. LOL

Or the Unsavory Charlatan, one of the best ones and often overlooked. Loved that guy. Yes, if you kept him busy gambling at the poker table he wouldn't be able to steal anyone's money, but he had a set of actions and if he followed you home you could fight him.

The clown is another, some of us expect the traditions to hold. I wish they would hold.

Grim Reaper was a creature you knew it was going to be bad if he showed up, either bargain with him or pay him or whatever. But I don't want him running around swimming, dancing and romancing.

Vampires, are mysteries creature by myth, I don't want to see them out in day light. What is the fun in that? They are blood thirsty fiends. I want to keep them that way. It would be nice if they created a real NPC vamp that did his thing and no one marry, or romance him/her.

I loved the NPC AKA a non playable character. I have enough 'regular' townies as it is.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I tend to see NPCs in two different ways. It doesn't bother me that there could be some playable like firemen, the police or delivery guys....I mean I've played out a lot of stories that started with a hot looking fireman who came to put out a kitchen blaze and ended up staying for breakfast......but some should never be playable. The Tragic Clown, Grimmy, Mrs Crumplebottom and the Therapist and their like come to mind.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I really dislike how The Sims 4 handles a few of its NPCs.

The Tragic Clown should have been created as a more traditional NPC, as you describe, rather than one that is essentially nothing more than a randomly generated Sim filling in his clown shoes. We get all different kinds of visual appearances of this tragic clown in TS4, and I just don't really like that. An iconic NPC, such as the tragic clown, should maintain the same appearance all of the time.

Additionally, many of the NPCs in TS4 suffer the same lack of attention. In particular, the hermit of Outdoor Retreat. They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever, and just feel useless, boring, and uncreative. Everything that could be gained from them is through objects/harvesting on their lot, rather than through them. I really feel like they could have, and should have, brought back Big Foot from TS2 instead, but as suspected from their mistake of revealing it during their live stream, TS4 was going to have a premium subscription service, and Outdoor Retreat was to be part of the first release for that service. I would imagine that could explain why the pack feels so rushed in many ways, but I digress.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I really dislike how The Sims 4 handles a few of its NPCs.

The Tragic Clown should have been created as a more traditional NPC, as you describe, rather than one that is essentially nothing more than a randomly generated Sim filling in his clown shoes. We get all different kinds of visual appearances of this tragic clown in TS4, and I just don't really like that. An iconic NPC, such as the tragic clown, should maintain the same appearance all of the time.

Additionally, many of the NPCs in TS4 suffer the same lack of attention. In particular, the hermit of Outdoor Retreat. They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever, and just feel useless, boring, and uncreative. Everything that could be gained from them is through objects/harvesting on their lot, rather than through them. I really feel like they could have, and should have, brought back Big Foot from TS2 instead, but as suspected from their mistake of revealing it during their live stream, TS4 was going to have a premium subscription service, and Outdoor Retreat was to be part of the first release for that service. I would imagine that could explain why the pack feels so rushed in many ways, but I digress.

But didn't you hear? Alternate life states were never meant to be a tradition.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    I realise I'm resurrecting a pretty dead thread of mine now but, would modders be able to change how TC worked so that he was always the same Sim that was called each time and wouldn't age?