Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error Code 12 HELP.

SerabeeSerabee Posts: 135 Member
edited May 2016 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
I tried to save my game after spending forever reworking my Sim's outfits, and I get this error. I've been looking online for answers but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I saw a link to this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWGGYziGMOc

But have no clue what RAM is. Also, I REALLY REALLY want to be able to actually save before restarting anything. Is that possible? I also have absolutely no mods or CC, though I do have some Maxis store items.

EDIT- Well nevermind needing help before I go to bed, my game crashed and I am SO MAD right now. People are so hard on Sims 4 but I don't have ANYWHERE near the problems I have with Sims 3 with it.

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Ram =Random Access Memory. It called memory. I don't know what windows your running and your system information to really be any help to you.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi. I would strongly suggest not following the suggestion in that video. It is very outdated advice and could actually make things much worse. Sorry, but I don't know how to explain what an Error12 is without discussing RAM. You can hate me in advance, if you like. :)

RAM is computer memory. That's where data in use lives while a program is running. Our active worlds and all of their sims load up into RAM before we can begin playing the game, as does a fair amount of the game's content. And our saves unload back down from RAM onto our hard drives, in the Saves folder, upon doing a Save or SaveAs.

An Error12 is an Out of Memory condition. There are two common causes. One is that your computer doesn't have enough memory (RAM) to run all that you are throwing at it (the game plus anything else you have running) together with your operating system, whether it be Windows or Mac OS X.

The other cause is when you do have plenty of RAM installed but the game reaches for more than it can actually use. TS3 can only use just less than 4 GB total on Windows (2 GB on Mac) before losing its mind. There is no way to improve on the limit, but there are steps you can take to reduce its usage per game session. Not staying in CAS too long or not opening many CAS sessions in rapid succession without saving in between is a good start. Once an Error12 actually does happen, it is very rare to be able to recover from one and get a usable save out of things. Chances are at that point your current session since its last successful save is toast.

A weak dedicated graphics card, or not having one at all, will also add much stress to RAM usage.

If you would like a diagnosis of your current system and what you might be able to do to help avoid Error12s, please run a dxdiag report and paste the results by sections into several responses to this thread. It will be far too long to fit into one post. Also please tell us how many EPs you are running and which ones. If you are on the Mac version of the game, please say so as that would require a different conversation.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SerabeeSerabee Posts: 135 Member
    So... my game apparently saved just fine last night?

But, thanks for the information. I'm glad I didn't try the advice in the video XD And I THINK I may've figured out what happened last night. I have a bad habit of leaving Sims running in the background and then having, like, a million tabs open online and all that. I've had issues before with my laptop saying it's running low on memory because I have too much stuff open. Yesterday was no exception, but I think the reason it did end up saving was that I closed everything else. I'm guessing that's the problem, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Serabee wrote: »
    So... my game apparently saved just fine last night?

But, thanks for the information. I'm glad I didn't try the advice in the video XD And I THINK I may've figured out what happened last night. I have a bad habit of leaving Sims running in the background and then having, like, a million tabs open online and all that. I've had issues before with my laptop saying it's running low on memory because I have too much stuff open. Yesterday was no exception, but I think the reason it did end up saving was that I closed everything else. I'm guessing that's the problem, if that makes sense.

It could be that your laptop has 4 Gb of Ram. In my opinion that laptops and desktop computers should have 8 Gb of ram. Yeah having tabs in background don't help things. Even on my desktop I occasionally crash in Sims 3. The downsize is that since Sims 3 is a 32 bit application it very limited to began with.