Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin message please upgrade your operating system??

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had this message from Origin which states please upgrade your operating system to the latest version?? Playing your games will still be available but some social networking may be effected. ( or something to that effect)

I am wondering exactly what this is supposed to mean as I use windows 7 on a home build desktop and have no intention of upgrading to 10 or even 8 or 8.1 so I am wondering what if Origin is in league with Microsoft trying to force Windows 10 on players?

If anyone has any further info on this I would be grateful to know more about it..

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I've seen a few people get this and read somewhere that Origin will only support Windows 8.1 and Windows 10; so the only option most likely would be to upgrade to a newer operating system (Windows 10 would be better, since it is basically the enhanced version of Windows 7). :)

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    @igazor
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Thanks @Colton147147

OMG what about the rest of us that do not want either operating systems, 7 is supposed to be supported for the next 6-8 years?
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited May 2016
    If non of your games are effected by this now I would say ignore it. Newer games released in the future might cause problems through Origin.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    I find it difficult to believe that EA/Origin would intentionally drop support for Win 7 so early. That is, assuming you have SP1. Win 7 has around 4 good years left in it. One theory I've seen mentioned is that the warning might be triggered by the user falling behind on Windows/Microsoft updates, patches, etc. but I don't have an unpatched system I would be willing to test that theory on.

@Colton147147 - Not all of us are on systems that even can be updated to Win 10. Mine can't, for instance. It's not new, but it's hardly what I would call obsolete either.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited May 2016
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    OMG what about the rest of us that do not want either operating systems, 7 is supposed to be supported for the next 6-8 years?

Microsoft doesn't really follow their lifecycle anymore... :D
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

They want everyone to go on Windows 10 - no matter if your PC is supported or not. :D

It is definitely still supported until 2020, but Microsoft ended support for all newer hardware (Intel Skylake/Intel Kaby Lake/AMD Zen/etc.), so you pretty much have no choice but to upgrade to Windows 10.
    igazor wrote: »
    @Colton147147 - Not all of us are on systems that even can be updated to Win 10. Mine can't, for instance. It's not new, but it's hardly what I would call obsolete either.

True.
    If non of your games are effected by this now I would say ignore it. Newer games released in the future might cause problems through Origin.

This.

I wouldn't really worry about it if you aren't looking into purchasing newer games, such as Battlefield 1, I'd just ignore it.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks @Colton147147

I haven't see this message. I suspect that is because I haven't launched Origin for a long time. I didn't patch my Sims 3 game with the latest patch and therefore don't need Origin to play. I suspect you will only need the new OS if you want to keep Origin up to date.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Unlike what many people say or like to believe Windows 10 works absolutely perfect. Just go into the options and disable some stuff and you should be great.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited May 2016
    According to the link below, EA is dropping Origin support for Windows versions earlier than Win 7 (i.e. Vista, XP, and earlier) for some features. "...Origin client's Store tab, achievement viewing, account settings, and Origin social features--like your friends list, chat, video chat, and your profile--will be restricted or completely unavailable on earlier versions of Windows after July 31. Keep chatting with friends, viewing achievements, and shopping in Origin by upgrading your PC to Windows 7 or later." That's of April 11. You'll still be able to play purchased games.

https://help.ea.com/en/article/operating-system-not-supported-by-origin/

I thought I saw something about this a while back on another website, but couldn't find it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Unlike what many people say or like to believe Windows 10 works absolutely perfect. Just go into the options and disable some stuff and you should be great.

If your computer can handle it that is probably true. Unfortunately a few people discovered their laptops became incompatible with Win 10 and had to remove it and go back to Win 7 or literally bin the laptop due to physical damage being caused to it by the OS. That problem may be fixed now but I haven't heard if that is the case or not.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09

When you say newer games may be effected is that as @Colton147147 says games like Battlefield will be effected but not The Sims games?

@igazor

When you talk about EA/Origin dropping support for windows 7 does that means when and if that happens I will lose all my digital sims games if I don't upgrade to windows 10? That's strange you mention about patches not being updated because there are 2 I will not update at all, one is for the constant nagging to upgrade to 10 and the other I stopped updating recently because it interfered with me playing sims 1 for the first time ever but I am assuming this cannot be considered falling behind in patch updates in any way shape or form?

@Colton147147

I appreciate it must be a great idea for Microsoft to have everyone running under one banner but honestly it could be the best OP since time began but after all this coercion and fuss I will avoid because I am stubborn that way and want to choose when I decide not them.. >:)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @Sigzy05 - Seriously, I'm sure you mean to be helpful. But again, some of us cannot upgrade to Win 10 and should not be trying to. I run Win 7 through Bootcamp on a late 2011 iMac. Apple is very clear about which models/versions so configured can be upgraded, and mine cannot. The needed driver support is just not there and, even if this were a standard PC, my graphics and sound cards would have issues and therefore so would the game. "Disabling some stuff" is not the solution for every user. Even if all else were equal, some users have 4 GB of RAM total and I'm not sure I would ever recommend Win 10 for them with or without games coming into the picture unless they can bump that up to at least 6 GB.

I'm sure Win 10 is very nice, for those who want/need it, when run on hardware that it was meant to be run on.

@SPARKY1922 - Sorry, was being a bit vague there. I don't allow the Win 10 "experience" (aka nagging) updates either. The Win 7 users on the network I manage don't get to see those either, not that they can use Origin at work, since we aren't upgrading there for now. The other update you mention I'm afraid I wouldn't know about -- do you have a KB number for it handy? If not, that's okay. I really meant the ones Microsoft marks as Critical (Urgent, Life Threatening, whatever the other important sounding designations are) as well as any available updates to the .Net framework.

Even when Win 7 goes out of support by Microsoft in January 2020, I would find it strange for Origin to suddenly drop everyone. Eventually, some day, it will happen as it is with XP now and probably Vista in the somewhat near future, but I don't think we have anything to worry about there for a very long time. Chances are that our hardware will wear out mechanically before this really takes place, or at least that's my prediction for today (puts crystal ball away).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @Karritz

Is that what this last patch was all about? The one nobody was expecting and downloaded when you were not looking ( that's what happened to me) Since then I have noticed I have to sign into Origin to play my game every time but also assumed it was because all my sims games are digital as opposed to discs.

I wonder if its possible to roll back a patch? but even if I tried that Origin would probably sneak it back in without me realizing it. I am starting to wonder If I purchase discs instead if I could avoid these sort of problems?

Also I am starting to wonder if its maybe time to get a MAC if this would stop all this craziness with Microsoft but I am not sure how 3 plays on a mac?

@TreyNutz

Thanks for that link I notice it states to upgrade to 7 from XP and Vista but it does not mention or clarify anything about upgrading from 7 to 8. 8.1 or 10 and I assumed they they meant for me to upgrade from 7 to 10 when I received the notification and panicked because I want to stay with 7 for as long as possible..

I am just wondering now if anyone else using windows 7 specifically has received a message to upgrade?

@Sigzy05

Windows 10 might be great but I do not want to forced into using something I do not want right now plus as @igazor points out some people's systems cannot handle 10 or cannot afford a brand new PC set up just to run a new OP. Also if its correct what Karritz wrote about physical damage caused to people's laptops etc that's a disgusting situation that Microsoft should pay for as I certainly could not afford right now to re purchase PC hardware or a new laptop if that happened to me.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    @SPARKY1922 The person who had the problem with her laptop said Microsoft did assist and gave her a free copy of Windows 7 to replace her Windows 10 OS.

As far as rolling back to a previous patch, that isn't possible.

BUT...

If you happen to have a disk version of all the EPs and SPs and the disk for the game that was released pre 2012 then you can uninstall you game and clean your registry and then install from disks and patch to patch 1.67 which is still available.

A lot of people have bought used old disks from ebay or got disks from Amazon on sales. You will need your old codes that you registered your digital games though (because second hand disks may not have codes - I'm not sure if you can install store content with a game installed from a disk using a different code from the code you registered). They should be available from your computer, or Origin or from a request to EA Help.

I have a few digital download Expansion and Stuff Packs, but fortunately I decided to get all disks (just in case) when I saw sales in my local games stores back in mid 2014 so I should be ok. My base game was from June 2009 so I just have to hope I never wreck a disk. I still have the old digital download versions installed on my laptop and pc so I don't need to have a disk in my disk drive yet.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot your original question. Yes the patch to 1.69 was to tie all Sims 3 games into Origin. Previously only games purchased after mid 2012 were forced to launch Origin to play. The idea with patch 1.69 was to force everyone to have to be logged into Origin to play Sims 3.
  • Options
    Just to add to what @Karritz is saying, I could recommend purchasing a Mac for at least a dozen different reasons. Playing TS3 for Mac on it is, I'm afraid, not one of them. For seasoned players, its 2 GB limit on usable RAM as a result of the way EA did the port of TS3 into OS X is just too difficult to work around.

The other way to stay on Patch 1.67 if your install is all digital is to switch over to the Steam platform. But that would require purchasing the base game and all EP/SPs again on Steam and installing them that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor

I don't think I would have worried too much if I had not just got the notification from Origin today and then I started to panic thinking something was imminent as why send out the notification if its not going to happening soon?

As said there are only 2 updates I avoid the following one is supposed to stop the windows 10 nag system KB3035583 however I also read there are several more that can install on a system disguised as something else so I took the plunge and installed GWX control panel which is a small footprint program that automatically stops windows 10 updates from being installed on your PC system when windows is updating. GWX can be found on the following link and personally I would not want to be without it now.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

there is also a new program that is a little more radical at removing 10 nags and associations on a PC system but I have not tried this one but did save the link for future reference. Scroll down the page a little its called Aegis script.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-strikes-not-upgrade-windows-10/

Microsoft update KB3086255 is related to playing older games on newer PC systems I believe and I can vouch for that statement as I purchased the complete sims 1 collection recently on discs to play but after installing it, it would not load so after doing a little research and getting some help from the sims community I removed the update and sims 1 fired up immediately. Some further info on that on the following link:

https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

• Options
    @SPARKY1922 - Although that one is classified as Critical, it's still not really the kind of far-reaching update I was thinking of.

With all due respect to our kind (corporate) hosts of this forum, getting mistimed and other notifications by mistake is kind of a product feature here. Think of all the times our games have told us something about our sims that clearly wasn't true. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @Karritz

I am pleased the person experiencing the problems with 10 was given 7 back by Microsoft but I bet they would have been more hesitant if they had been asked to replace the laptop because of their errors. Honestly without trying to go off on a rant here what happened to the days when a purchased item or service had to be up to some sort of decent standard?

You know I knew as I was purchasing digital sims 3 I should have bought the discs as I went along but unfortunately I became seduced with the ease of being able to digitally download as the expansion packs came out now I am kicking myself for it. I read somewhere that sims 3 second hand codes cannot be used ? Also I own the store and everything I have purchased is backed up and saved on my PC so would It be possible to use those saves with new games or would they relate to my digital games stored in origin only? I would not want to loose my store items they have cost me so much and I use them a lot.

I wonder if EA would allow me all my store content if I can prove I have purchased new discs but still own the digital versions in origin?

So from what you say about games purchased after mid 2012 having to use Origin to play that would mean if I purchased new discs now I would still be in the same boat IE having to use Origin to play even though they are not digital versions?

@igazor thanks for info on Macs and 3 so cannot go down that route either lol

As for steam I imagine they might go the same way as it appears to me ( and I could be wrong ) that I don't really own my digital games and something could come along and take them all away despite me having paid for them? so if EA or Origin shut down where do my purchased games go and more importantly how do I play them because as far as I am concerned I purchased a product and I want to use it?

I never realized when I was simply looking to play my first PC game it would end up like this..............

• Options

With all due respect to our kind (corporate) hosts of this forum, getting mistimed and other notifications by mistake is kind of a product feature here. Think of all the times our games have told us something about our sims that clearly wasn't true. ;) [/quote]

hahaha yes but I am used to knowing my game play will look nothing like theirs and its all staged but what I am not used to is receiving notifications about upgrades to OP systems which quite frankly makes me suspicious..

I am pleased that you were able to confirm that its not the fact I removed one update that could have caused it :)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2016
    @Karritz

I am pleased the person experiencing the problems with 10 was given 7 back by Microsoft but I bet they would have been more hesitant if they had been asked to replace the laptop because of their errors. Honestly without trying to go off on a rant here what happened to the days when a purchased item or service had to be up to some sort of decent standard?

You know I knew as I was purchasing digital sims 3 I should have bought the discs as I went along but unfortunately I became seduced with the ease of being able to digitally download as the expansion packs came out now I am kicking myself for it. I read somewhere that sims 3 second hand codes cannot be used ? Also I own the store and everything I have purchased is backed up and saved on my PC so would It be possible to use those saves with new games or would they relate to my digital games stored in origin only? I would not want to loose my store items they have cost me so much and I use them a lot.

I wonder if EA would allow me all my store content if I can prove I have purchased new discs but still own the digital versions in origin?

So from what you say about games purchased after mid 2012 having to use Origin to play that would mean if I purchased new discs now I would still be in the same boat IE having to use Origin to play even though they are not digital versions?

@igazor thanks for info on Macs and 3 so cannot go down that route either lol

As for steam I imagine they might go the same way as it appears to me ( and I could be wrong ) that I don't really own my digital games and something could come along and take them all away despite me having paid for them? so if EA or Origin shut down where do my purchased games go and more importantly how do I play them because as far as I am concerned I purchased a product and I want to use it?

I never realized when I was simply looking to play my first PC game it would end up like this..............

Just want to say here, you can not register pre-used codes to your origin account (there is the off chance that the previous owner didn't register, therefore you COULD register it, but that is unlikely) but you CAN use the used code to install from the disc on your computer. I just installed three used SP's onto my computer yesterday. I used the codes to install. I did that so I could be on patch 1.67 and not 1.69.

Edit to add: You own the items you bought from the sims store. It doesn't matter what form you have used to install your game (disc or digital don't matter), the items are still yours to use. Like I said, I just completely uninstalled Sims 3 and reinstalled. I kind of flubbed up in a couple steps, but ultimately, I now have went from Patch 1.69 back down to patch 1.67 (because everything is installed from disc now), and have all my store items and saves (from 1.69) installed on my computer. I was just doing a test run of my most-important save earlier to make sure it went okay, and everything went fine.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Also to add on the discs, it's only the base game disc that must have been produced pre-Sept 2012. That's when they did a product refresh, and base game discs produced after that were marketed as "The Sims 3 Going Social" or something like that; disc installs involving a post-Sept 2012 base game disc will just take you back to Origin and Patch 1.69. The ages of the EP/SP discs don't matter as long as they are indeed discs and not Origin installs.

Edit: Personally, I'm not planning to go through all of that. My install is all digital through Origin and I still have one EP purchased but not yet installed. That will bring me to 1.69 when I get around to it. My preferred plan is to wait and see how much of an impact that has on my system. Part of the reason for this is I'm lazy, but the other part is personal -- for decades, any optical (CD/DVD) drive anywhere near me just likes to malfunction and I don't really want to have to rely on one just to get the game started up.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @ChelleJo

Thanks for that extra info so you have obviously removed anything sims 3 from your PC and reinstalled the discs and manually patched to 1.67. so in this way you avoid using Origin as well, what about store content as if I decided to go this route I would not want to loose all my store content..

Also if you logged in to Origin for anything would it not detect these new discs or game?

Apologies if the questions appear silly but I have only ever played sims 3 as a PC game and have had to learn about these things as I have gone along..

@igazor

I don't have a physical disc of the base game but did purchase the digital base game prior to 2012 but am assuming that's not going to make any difference because its the digital version of the game?

If i purchased a used physical disc base game prior to 2012 and installed and used it in the same way as ChelleJo describes above then because I would be avoiding Origin or having to sign into Origin and only using the codes to install the discs on my PC then that would be a way to play 3 without Origin right? although there is still the problem of all my store content...

I never knew wanting to play games could cause such a headache it getting really late here now and |I have visitors tomorrow so I will com back to this tomorrow :)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @ChelleJo

Thanks for that extra info so you have obviously removed anything sims 3 from your PC and reinstalled the discs and manually patched to 1.67. so in this way you avoid using Origin as well, what about store content as if I decided to go this route I would not want to loose all my store content..

Also if you logged in to Origin for anything would it not detect these new discs or game?

Apologies if the questions appear silly but I have only ever played sims 3 as a PC game and have had to learn about these things as I have gone along..

I probably didn't make it very clear... I was trying to say in the previous post... your Sims 3 store content is yours, no matter how you have the game installed or what patch number you are on. I went from patch 1.67, to 1.69, and back to patch 1.67 and I can still access (download and install) all my store content, no problem. And buying more (just bought another set a couple hours ago and installed it fine). No, you would not lose any of your store content. I did, however, have to redownload and reinstall all my store content. But that could be how it goes, or it could be how I did it. But, your store content is still yours.

Yes, if you have origin set to auto update your games, it will immediately start trying to update sims 3 if you run origin. Just make sure before you even install Sims 3 (to stay on patch 1.67) you open origin and untick the box to auto update your games. Once it no longer auto updates, as long as YOU never update, you'll be fine even with Origin running (if you chose).

I'm a believer there are no silly questions (maybe that's cause I ask what would be silly questions myself :D:D ). All questions lead to better knowledge, so it's all good. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't have a physical disc of the base game but did purchase the digital base game prior to 2012 but am assuming that's not going to make any difference because its the digital version of the game?

If i purchased a used physical disc base game prior to 2012 and installed and used it in the same way as ChelleJo describes above then because I would be avoiding Origin or having to sign into Origin and only using the codes to install the discs on my PC then that would be a way to play 3 without Origin right? although there is still the problem of all my store content...

First part is correct. I also have an early digital version. I can stay on 1.67 with that if I don't let Origin update my game, but I can't install that last remaining EP without letting it patch to 1.69. As long as my current computer holds up, that is.

No, uninstalling and reinstalling just the base game from an early disc will not work anymore. It used to, but EA changed that near the beginning of the year. Has to be an entire disc re-install now, not involving Origin installed EP/SPs at all if going that route.

Your store content, as stated, is still yours through your TS3 site account either way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @Sparky1922 when I installed my digital download stuff packs onto this new laptop using my newly purchased disk, I used the code I had registered for the DD version of the stuff pack and it worked.

Therefore, I suspect if you purchased disks you'd be able to use the codes you have already registered to install from the disks.

Part of the reason I installed from disk at the time (in June 2014) was I was trying to speed up the process and avoid having to download so much. I used the registered codes even though the disks I had purchased were new and I have new codes for them. I didn't need to use those new codes.

EDIT: I think if I were you I'd try to get an early version of the base game on disk and install it using your old registered code and see if it works before buying any more disks.

But if you want to avoid patch 1.69 you do have to buy all of the disks as Origin will no longer allow you to download the expansion and stuff packs individually. You have to install them all from the digital base game all in one go and it automatically patches you to 1.69.
  • Options
    @ChelleJo @igazor and @Karritz

Thank you all for your further info and help I have learned a lot about the situation, most I can say I dislike :) Chellejo I did not have Origin set to auto update when it patched to 1.69 that's why I was so annoyed when I found out it had happened.