Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot get my AMD R9 390 card to work.

rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
Hi everyone,

Today I reinstalled The Sims 3, and so it seems the game does not recognize my AMD R9 390 card. It's not in the .sgr files, since the card is too new.
I went looking for a possible solution on how to fix this, and I found a post over at the Simswiki (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game)

However, I tried changing the .sgr files, but it seems I am doing something horribly wrong, because it still doesn't want to work.
Anyone willing to help me with this?

This whole coding stuff is way too complicated for me, lol!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You will also need to add the Sims 3 to AMD's Radeon Software Crimson Edition (Catalyst Control Center if you don't have RSCE) and enable V-Sync, since the Sims 3 does not feature a built-in V-Sync option.

As for editing the graphics files, perhaps @igazor and @phoebebebe13 may be able to help you. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Thanks @Colton147147 for the reply. :)

I hope someone can help me with it. It's quite frustrating. I wish EA would update these files still, but no chance I guess.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Here is what is probably a simpler tutorial to the sgr file edit procedure. You will want to start over with the original sgr files though, if this is possible. This example is for an Nvidia GTX 970, but the instructions are there for AMD as well. Basically, you will be fooling the game into thinking you have a Radeon HD 7900 Series card, which is the highest series it will recognize. The profile it provides should work fine, though.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4782510&posted=1#post4782510
    (jump to post # 12 within that thread if the link doesn't take you there automatically)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The Sims 3 doesn't include the newer cards in the newer files. This thread and the quote from said thread explains the problem
    The Sims 3 uses two files known as GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr. GraphicsCards.sgr is a database of graphics cards which it uses to determine if a card is supported or not while the purpose of GraphicsRules.sgr is to determine the appropriate settings for the video card. These two files are also used in The Sims 2, The Sims Stories, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4.

The problem is that EA hasn't updated The Sims 3 so therefore the two files haven't updated to include the newer cards. Since the newer cards haven't been included, the game doesn't recognize them and displays the Warning: Unrecognized Video Card if it detects a video card that isn't in the database. Most newer computers usually include newer cards that aren't included in the database so many newer PCs will often cause the Unrecognized Video Card dialog if the game is played on that PC.

Also like @Colton147147 suggested, you will also have to be sure you use your NVIDIA control panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center to enable v-sync for The Sims 3 since TS3 has no v-sync.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! Will test it later today! :)