Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

help!

okay sorry but I just tried the graphics card workaround for mac and it screwed up my game a bit so I went back to the old graphicscards and graphicsrules or whatever but now my game won't save ANY of my options! For example, if I set edge smoothing to high, i'll press check and when I get back on the options, the option is back to low. this is the same for every option. it doesn't show in-game either. Someone please help:(
MPy9H9S.gif

Comments

• Options
    xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    @BluebellFlora plz help XD if you can you're really helpful
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    ....Bump....
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Trash the Options.ini file in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and restart your game.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Trash the Options.ini file in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and restart your game.

MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    okay... it didn't work, they're still not saving D;
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options

Ok. That maybe because you've edited the files successfully so it is defaulting to the settings in the GraphicsRules.sgr file. You will probably have to sacrifice high settings for the ability to actually play.

apple-signature.png
  • Options

Ok. That maybe because you've edited the files successfully so it is defaulting to the settings in the GraphicsRules.sgr file. You will probably have to sacrifice high settings for the ability to actually play.

yeah but the problem is I can't silence the music, or edit season lengths, or anything. None of the options save AT ALL except for resolution and refresh rate or whatever it is. I'll see if anything works, but if not, do I have to uninstall and reinstall?
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    Try changing the values in the DeviceConfig.log file. Right click on it and choose to open with TextEdit. All the titles are pretty self-explanatory. A 0 denotes off (e.g. - Fullscreen=0 means that windowed mode is enabled). Make a copy of it before you edit it although it is recreated when you launch the game.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Try changing the values in the DeviceConfig.log file. Right click on it and choose to open with TextEdit. All the titles are pretty self-explanatory. A 0 denotes off (e.g. - Fullscreen=0 means that windowed mode is enabled). Make a copy of it before you edit it although it is recreated when you launch the game.

it's showing the options set how they used to be before I did the workaround... for example the value would be on 3 in the options.ini file AND the deviceconig.log file and it would still be all the way down in-game.

MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options

it's showing the options set how they used to be before I did the workaround... for example the value would be on 3 in the options.ini file AND the deviceconig.log file and it would still be all the way down in-game.

it also doesn't do anything to change any of them:/
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how editing DeviceConfig could have helped. It's a log file, reporting on results (meaning it's output, not input). I would have thought editing Options.ini instead using a text editor might have been worth a try, though.

Though it is possible that will be ignored as well. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how editing DeviceConfig could have helped. It's a log file, reporting on results (meaning it's output, not input). I would have thought editing Options.ini instead using a text editor might have been worth a try, though.

You're right but anything is worth a go. There's a file buried in the Transgaming folders which the DeviceConfig reads from. I edited mine to get a maximum of 8 lots rendered instead of the 4 or 6 max. that Cider limits. Now I can't find the file and of course it would help if I posted whilst on my Mac, not my phone! Any ideas where the file is? :)

Edit - it's going to be the GraphicsRules.sgr file isn't it?..... I'll check later when I'm in front of my Mac.
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »

I tried that :/ it didn't work
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Hmm... are you running El Capitan or Yosemite? If so, then you need to click on Control + Enter to reduce the size of your screen. Then you should be able to edit your options to whatever you want and then repeat the same command to return to your normal screen size. That's the only way I can edit the resolution for my game, but it might work for other options as well.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Hmm... are you running El Capitan or Yosemite? If so, then you need to click on Control + Enter to reduce the size of your screen. Then you should be able to edit your options to whatever you want and then repeat the same command to return to your normal screen size. That's the only way I can edit the resolution for my game, but it might work for other options as well.

El Capitan, and I'll try that when I get home from school.
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options

doing it now...
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    just randomly posting this as my game loads but why does it now say "can't identify hardware" or whatever. It never said that b4
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options

didn't work :/ anything else? I'm this close to uninstalling the game and reinstalling <
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    it says "unable to identify hardware" and "unsupported video card" now. It never used to say that b4 the workaround... is this supposed to happen?
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    I discovered something! I realize now that when I drag my options up in the options menu, they don't save there, but for some reason the game is detecting my options as high even though it doesn't show it in the options menu! The only problem I have now is that the map is all blank on map view....
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    i think edge smoothing works now...
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    I discovered something! I realize now that when I drag my options up in the options menu, they don't save there, but for some reason the game is detecting my options as high even though it doesn't show it in the options menu! The only problem I have now is that the map is all blank on map view....

The blank map is very common but when you're on a lot it should be ok. Please could you post a screenshot of the blank map? I've seen loads of posts about it but never seen it!

apple-signature.png
  • Options

The blank map is very common but when you're on a lot it should be ok. Please could you post a screenshot of the blank map? I've seen loads of posts about it but never seen it!

i'll do it in a bit!
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    launching my game rn ill post it in a minute!
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    sg7i9d.jpg@BluebellFlora here it is it's quite annoying.
    MPy9H9S.gif