Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't they have driveable cars in the sims 4?

hi,

I would like to see cars that sims can actually drive in the sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    me too, I can't wait to take snapshots of my sim on a kawasaki looking motorbike.

We think it's because its how the worlds are set up, but we're not too sure.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    It would have to be like in TS2, because of the lack of the open world - cars would go to the edge of the neighbourhood then disappear.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    they don't have them because the game engine is too limited to handle an open world and without an open world they are nothing more than just eye candy-- there is no real immersion to where the car is going to....
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'd love the sims 2 cars back. Hopefully if they ever do bring them back they won't have invisible car collisions with the fake cars or any really cars.
  • Options
    Claret1011Claret1011 Posts: 297 Member
    I'd like driveable cars, but I'd actually be happy just with cars as objects too, just for how it would look for house building. So just a few car objects and a few garage tools would be great, and would be a much quicker win than driveable cars. Other objects would be great too - bicycles and motorbikes. Again, driveable would be ideal, but just objects would give a great look.
  • Options
    WoodGWoodG Posts: 124 Member
    I like cars, garage and bikes back (with bike locks) I do miss them too
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    they don't have them because the game engine is too limited to handle an open world and without an open world they are nothing more than just eye candy-- there is no real immersion to where the car is going to....
    They worked just fine in sims 2 without the open world.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Too hard too difficult
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't think it would be worth it since sims would get in the car then a loading screen would pop up
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »

It's not actually. Guru's have said there's no limit to how many lots each "hood" can have, and that it's possible to open the hoods up.
    They aren't doing either though, because they want the game to run on entry level Laptops/Notebooks/Ultrabooks etc. that aren't usually for gaming.

---

That said, Cars in The Sims 2 weren't eye candy. And if they used The Sims 2 gameplay of actually pulling out of the car, and driving off, there's actually a long way cars drive in The Sims 4 before they dissapeer. It would easy for them to drive off - loading screen- drive into new hood, and park outside etc.

But Cars have never been exciting in The Sims for me. I'd rather other stuff.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »

It's not actually. Guru's have said there's no limit to how many lots each "hood" can have, and that it's possible to open the hoods up.
    They aren't doing either though, because they want the game to run on entry level Laptops/Notebooks/Ultrabooks etc. that aren't usually for gaming.

---

That said, Cars in The Sims 2 weren't eye candy. And if they used The Sims 2 gameplay of actually pulling out of the car, and driving off, there's actually a long way cars drive in The Sims 4 before they dissapeer. It would easy for them to drive off - loading screen- drive into new hood, and park outside etc.

But Cars have never been exciting in The Sims for me. I'd rather other stuff.

Okay my eye candy comment may have been a bit off the mark. As for opening up the neighborhoods and unlimited lots, either way, because of the game or because of computer requirements, it's still a limit if it isn't going to happen. The end result is the same.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Sim2BladeSim2Blade Posts: 550 Member
    google 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for drivable sims 4 cars
  • Options
    111sungirl111111sungirl111 Posts: 37 Member
    > @Sim2Blade said:
    > google 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for drivable sims 4 cars

I have tried that and so far it hasn't worked
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Okay, this is just more stuff that I already added to the list on My Post for Item's Sims 4 Needs, I thought it was something new,, oh well.
  • Options
    redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited May 2016
    I loved Cars in Sims 3 but Sims teleport in Sims 4. I just don't see the point to have vehicles when all we'll get is a car that will sit in the drive way or garage and disappear once the Sims gets in it to go somewhere. Plus It looks to me that the lots are smaller on average so you would have to sacrifice significant living space in order to accommodate a driveway or garage. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Sims having cars is bad, I'm saying it won't be as fun as you think.
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BoyInsomniacBoyInsomniac Posts: 37 Member
    But wait... as of now, when I request my sim goes home (from the bar or another area) it has to run down the block and around the corner and that takes an extra minute and a half that I'd much rather see them getting in a little car in the parking lot and driving out the parking lot then a load screen. Honestly feel like it'd look nicer and would save time.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Cars are useless to The Sims 4 now. Sims can do everything using their smartphones and we have loading screens now. So I don't really see the point of that, they could work on other content that is actually useful.
  • Options
    ohepiohepi Posts: 64 Member
    @AlanSims some of us enjoyed the cars and find it depressing that the world in reality is so dependent on smartphones and kinda don't want to see that reflected in our virtual world. At least giving us the option to use the cars instead of assuming none of us want them anymore would be nice. The whole point of the Sims is that you're supposed to be able to CONTROL stuff, which...with each new number is becoming somehow both less and more true.
    ohepi: simming since age ten!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Because the game can't even handle taxis, school buses, and carpools that have been around since the Sims 1.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    edited May 2016
    @ohepi It's not that I think the whole community doesn't want cars, it's just the way The Sims 4 was designed, makes cars obsolete now. We have loading screens, which means that when you click your car to go somewhere, you'd just get a view of the map and not see your Sim drive to that destination like in TS3.

Back in The Sims 1 and 2 we used to have taxis, buses and cars (TS2), but I remember it took a little bit of time for them to arrive home and you'd get a view of the map anyway. Using the smartphone or the M on your keyboard is just the easiest way to move to another place. I get that you want to feel like your Sims drive to other places, but I guess that's what they thought was the best for the game.

I'm honestly one of those people who would be like "How come you added this feature to the game instead of working on Toddlers?"
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    The neighborhoods are too small, and some neighborhoods (like the island in Windenburg) don't actually have roads at all.

I'm all for some buses (or ferries, for Windenburg) added to the edge of each neighborhood to add some visual flair instead of the current "vanishing into thin air" animation, but actually driving your car would be pointless.

It would be:
    * Get in car
    * Drive for a grand total of 2 seconds
    * Load screen
    * Your car is now parked out the front of the community lot
    * Get out of car

There's not enough travel time to really give cars a point.

HOWEVER.... if they made a world with one or two large neighborhoods, sure, cars would be great. But honestly, for the existing worlds, I'd rather we just had public transport and carpools (Ubers, I guess?)
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I don't really see the point in EA putting focus on adding cars if you can't see the sim drive the car.
  • Options
    111sungirl111111sungirl111 Posts: 37 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    The neighborhoods are too small, and some neighborhoods (like the island in Windenburg) don't actually have roads at all.

I'm all for some buses (or ferries, for Windenburg) added to the edge of each neighborhood to add some visual flair instead of the current "vanishing into thin air" animation, but actually driving your car would be pointless.

It would be:
    * Get in car
    * Drive for a grand total of 2 seconds
    * Load screen
    * Your car is now parked out the front of the community lot
    * Get out of car

There's not enough travel time to really give cars a point.

HOWEVER.... if they made a world with one or two large neighborhoods, sure, cars would be great. But honestly, for the existing worlds, I'd rather we just had public transport and carpools (Ubers, I guess?)

That was how it was in the sims 2. They drove to the end of the lot, the load screen came up, and then they arrived at their destination.

• Options
    ohepiohepi Posts: 64 Member
    @AlanSims I know that's the way it's designed, I don't like that it's designed that way personally. I know I'm in a very small group when I say so, though, so I guess it doesn't matter.
    Frankly I could write practically a novella at this point entitled "Why Did You Take Away This Feature and Why Did You Add That One?" subtitled "So Many of These Things Were Either Totally Fine or Actually Much Better Before." Unfortunately at the time when they're looking for people to tell them what we think of the new potential changes, if that actually happens, I am never aware of it and as such never able to add my voice to the conversation. Boo.
    lol.
    ohepi: simming since age ten!
  • Options
    MeteoricDragonMeteoricDragon Posts: 245 Member
    edited June 2016
    If Maxis were to add cars, I don't think they would be used to travel. There's already a mechanic in place for that. Cars might be fun to do things locally though. Think of a demolition derby, or a racetrack perhaps?