Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do I Ask a Foreign Sim to Move In?

SerabeeSerabee Posts: 135 Member
I just realized, actually, that I've never asked another Sim to move in (I haven't had Sims 3 very long, and I've also used manage households to move Sims in) but I don't think that works with foreign Sims? So how I ask him to move him? He has a maxed relationship bar with my Sim and is her boyfriend, but I don't see any option...

So I'm either a. wondering where the option is or b. wondering if my game will be glitchy if I use a cheat to add him to my household.

Comments

• Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    On the cellphone there's an invite foreign visitors option. Click that and invite the sim you wish to move in. Interact for awhile and you should get a move in option .
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    KNORear wrote: »
    On the cellphone there's an invite foreign visitors option. Click that and invite the sim you wish to move in. Interact for awhile and you should get a move in option .

I've heard that can be buggy since invited foreign sims are really "mini sims" and not the full sim in question.

Most of the foreign sims I've moved in are from University. I use NRaas MasterController to add the sim to the household then return home. I thought that while in WA destinations that there should be an option to invite the foreign sims to move in, and the sim will then join your household when you return home. I've never tried it though. I know there's no interaction like that available in University.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    Foreign Sims are full Sims. I have never had any issue with them. I've married quite a few of my Sims off to Sims from World Adventure areas.

You can also "cheat," simply by using "Ctrl+Shift+c" to bring up the cheat console. Then right click on the Sim and hit "Add to household."
  • Options
    SerabeeSerabee Posts: 135 Member
    Forgot I made this board, lol. But I eventually just used the add to household cheat. I was nervous about doing it on vacation, because I wasn't sure if that would mess with the game (trying to change household members while on vacation, that is) so I invited him over first, then added him, and it worked fine~
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2016
    Chimark wrote: »
    Foreign Sims are full Sims. I have never had any issue with them. I've married quite a few of my Sims off to Sims from World Adventure areas.

I meant foreign sims invited to visit. The sims visiting in your homeworld from other worlds are mini-sims. At least that is my understanding from what I've read on the NRaas site. Asking them to move in reportedly can cause game corruption, although I've never experienced it myself. Foreign sims in their own world are full sims.
  • Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    Yes. I've tried this in multiple games with both France and China. When you have children with these sims they pick up the background traits like eating with chopsticks and singing the local songs. Invite for a visit --> interact --> move them in and/or marry them --> become a playable member of the household --> wait overnight --> sim is removed from household and added to the homeless inventory. I eventually gave up. You can still get children out of them in the usual way, but they remain deadbeat parents and estranged partners. I even had one return to my house ...as paparazzi. No one here ever had a solution either, just said it was hopelessly bugged. So I'd love to hear how you made it work.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited June 2016
    Chimark wrote: »

You can also "cheat," simply by using "Ctrl+Shift+c" to bring up the cheat console. Then right click on the Sim and hit "Add to household."

I am with @Chimark on this one,never in my game have I ever had an issue inviting Foreign sims and asking them to move in.As a matter of fact one game which I played a good 2 months straight no cheats used and no mods are in my game period.

Married Pearl Yang went on a honeymoon in Shang Simla
    Met Hui Young Kim
    Invited Her asked to join household
    Me and Pearl had a daughterCherri and Hui became the stay at home nanny taught my daughter most of her skills too.
    Daughter reached YA
    We all went to France
    Met Jolene Montaque
    Asked her to visit and she moved in
    Jolene Became best friends with Cherri our daughter "Even made a video with them"
    My sim and Pearl had a trip to Egypt
    Met Shadia Rashid
    She visited and agreed to join the family of course like Hui leaving her husband behind...
    So that alone is 3 foreigners from 3 different worlds with no crashes no glitches just smooth gameplay and these sims left behind families and never called them or nothing :lol:

Have tons of picture proof and gameplay updates in a thread talking about kidnapping foreign sims, plus here is the goofy video of Pearl Yangs daughter Cherri with Jolene Montaque from France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZruO5_wMgk

Invited her over asked her to move in

Screenshot-905_zpsid8ncduc.jpg

Had a kid

Hui teaching my daughter in the SV library how to read.She was a awesome Nanny

Screenshot-1053_zpsy0tswp8i.jpg
    Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Shadia showing up later.

Screenshot-55_zpsj2fin8cq.jpg
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    When you ask a foreign sim to move in while you are in their world, they are a full-fledged sim. It's okay to marry them in their world too, but only if they are a member of a proper household first and not a homeless NPC (and not living in a dorm or frat/sorority house if the "foreign world" happens to be Uni), though Ask to Move In First does tend to be safer.

When you invite a sim over to visit you in your homeworld, sorry but they are not a full-fledged sim. If you ask them to move in or marry them at that point while they are still visiting you run the risk of corrupting your game. It won't happen every time. Sometimes enough sim information comes over through the TravelDB file to make the mini-sim okay to add that way, sometimes not. Some players will never have a problem with proceeding this way, and some will never have it work out right. It's the way the game was coded with respect to visiting sims.

If you invite a sim over to visit you in your homeworld with certain NRaas mods in place, it is much safer to ask them to move in (or MasterController Add Sim to force them in) because code is added to protect the sim that arrives. They still aren't a full-fledged sim like they are back in their foreign world, but they aren't exactly a mini-sim either. The mods in question are Traveler, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and RelationshipPanel.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net