The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Play Is About More Than Toddlers

Comments

• Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    Yes.
    There are always family play in TS4.
    But if our simgurus can do some upgrades to them( okay, I especially refer to that baby object.), I would be more than grateful.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited March 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    @HIFreeBirdIH I probably won't play too much with toddlers if they do add them in. The life stage is really short and unless they make them like the toddlers in The Sims Freeplay, I won't get much from them. They were just glorified babies in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3.

@SimFan298 I live the heights of the teens. I hated the shorter teens in The Sims 2 & 3. They weren't realistic.

This is, by far, one of the most absurd arguments I ever read.

Didn't realize it was realistic for everyone older than a child to be the same height. Go figure.

Yes! There are the kids who are starting puberty earlier than 17-18 years old (who already look like the 25 year old anyway, so what's the purpose of YA?).

People said my sister and I looked like 15 for a long time, not like a 17-18 year old (who looks barely distinguable from the 25 year old).

Um...as far as I can tell, it's not realistic for any population to be the same size. Teens go through growth spurts (and those actors in teen shows are actually 30 year old men...same goes for the girls). So saying it is not realistic for teens to be short while implying that it is realistic for everyone to be the same exact height from teens to elders is just dumb.
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    @Mstybl95 I like that teens aren't midgets. Most people reach their adult height by 15.

@Simfan281 So The Sims wasn't a life simulation game because it didn't have toddlers?
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Simfan281 So The Sims wasn't a life simulation game because it didn't have toddlers?

Well... The first sims was more of a doll house in some aspects, actually. (It was supposed to originally be an architecture software tool, actually.)

Also: It was the first of its kind.

Now, we were progressing past that starting point (until ts4 in some aspects).

We should not have to stay at that first game's limited tech level anymore.

Apparently, the old devs/Maxis.EA thought toddlers were necessary to include them in TWO major sims entries.

Why the sudden change of heart?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,592 Member
    I don't know... from what I read people play Elders less than toddlers.

I read more questions on what to do with elders then what to do with toddlers. :lol:

It shows me we don't need elders. Hmm...

• Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Mstybl95 I like that teens aren't midgets. Most people reach their adult height by 15.

I have to disagree my sister has grown like 3-4 inches during her teen years and might still grow unlike me I did pretty much stay the same which annoys me but anyway that logic can't apply to every person on the planet. I had a teacher/preacher who was around 4 foot nine so height is subjective there is nothing realistic about t-elder being the same height. No one in my family is the same height, my teen sis is taller than me a ya, my parents are both taller than me adults.. so nope it's not realistic, my teen cous are 6 ft tall and the game with have us all the same height, what the game needed was options instead it just went the lazy route.

And here's a question lets say they took out children just kept babies, teens, ya, adults and elders, would that be okay? Could people speak up against that? Toddlers are a part of life we were all toddlers at one point not having them kept in isn't realistic at all even being a ya I would trade that stage for toddlers
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Little people, dear. Let's not be offensive, m'kay.

And you are wrong. Teens can continue to grow until around 20 years old. Females reach full size before males. Males usually go through a major growth spurt right around 15-16 years old.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Everybody plays differently. I like playing my game *realistically* with all stages of life included. I miss toddlers, teens, removable babies and hope to see preteens make an appearance. Family play lacks in The Sims 4, The only way to fix it now is the addition of a Generations type EP.
    If EA doesn't deliver this time around I'm fairly certain they will never add back proper life stages. The same threads keep circulating about the same subject.
    If EA can't see what most want and what will make them the most $$$$!they are blind.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

I don't mean just TS1 I mean the franchise itself (more so the computer version) and as it was mentioned before at that time it was groundbreaking and unheard so no one had any expectations beyond what was presented back then but now we're 4 generations in and only 2 of the generations included these life stages. Now we're back tracking in a few areas with 4 and I get sacrifices/compromises were made but we should be improving and progressing not taking back a milestone in the franchises history.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member

And you are wrong. Teens can continue to grow until around 20 years old. Females reach full size before males. Males usually go through a major growth spurt right around 15-16 years old.

I thought midget was a medical term :confused: Is it insulting now?
  • Options
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 The purpose is family play does not center around one age group. There is a lot of family play in the game already for players who want it.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    For me, its not about whether or not family play is possible without toddlers, its about enriching the game and making a more believable progression from infant to child and then from child to teen. Its about adding in some minor elements to make family play more engaging and rewarding. Right now, personal relations between family members seems no more loving/engaging than relationships between unrelated friends. Its more the other elements of a generations type expansion that I'm missing in my game. Do I want pre-teens and toddlers? Absolutely but I won't be heart broken without them so long as there's some kind of tlc given to family play. Its possible as the game sits, but it just seems unfair for those of us who want to play family that the focus is almost completely on single, young adult sims for virtually every expansion, GP and SP that have released this far. ....I won't even get myself started on the 'waiting to die' life stage. :/
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I thought midget was a medical term :confused: Is it insulting now?

It's little people (and some other term I think), nowadays. So, yes, last time I checked, midget is an insult if used towards real life little people.

Language changes and transforms all of the time.

(There is a medical term, but it's not called "midget".)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    I loved (and still love) Sims 1, but sims 2 and sims 3 had progressed and added new things (some of which carried over to Sims 4).
    (She/her)
  • Options
    @Orchid13 No one deciding for other people what family play is except the people who want toddlers. Toddlers aren't the only age group a family revolves around. There is plenty of family ay in The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Well, then by that reasoning... The Sims doesn't need Seasons, Pets, more vacations, or Supernaturals because there is plenty of game play already in TS4.

Woot! TS4 is done, bring on TS5.

Exactly. The game doesn't need the DLC add-ons. Those are just extras and no one is forced to buy everything. I don't own everything for the game. I only own the two EPs and I am still content with my game. If they add more options, I may decide to buy them if they interest me. There is a ton more they could've added to The Sims 3 before they ended the series. Even though they didn't add everything I wanted, it was still a good game.
  • Options
    @Orchid13 No one deciding for other people what family play is except the people who want toddlers. Toddlers aren't the only age group a family revolves around. There is plenty of family ay in The Sims 4.

Yes, I understand that there is more family play beyond just one life stage.

However, for some of us, the family play still feels incomplete without toddlers. I love toddlers in real life, and two sims games had those, so I'm still waiting to see the newer games have this feature (which is very important to me, even if it's not to you).

I still want toddlers, even with the adorable children and their family play in TS4. I still want more physical child activities like tag, Mary Mack, or other activities like owning a lemonade stand or child oven. (TS4 doesn't have child ovens yet, does it? I haven't checked in a long time. If it does, that would be great! :) )
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @xitneverendss Have you even played the entire series? In all the previous games anything a family could do other Sims unrelated could do. Just because Sims are unrelated does not mean they aren't a family.

Also, the majority of players haven't posted in this thread. Only a miniscule amount of players who play the game posted in this thread. The majority of players will probably never read this thread. It doesn't matter what the majority thinks. Unlike you, I don't live my life by the majority. The gameplay mechanics for family play are already in the game. This is the truth.
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I think OP is only trying to point out that "no toddlers" does not equal "no family play". In that sense I agree.
    Sims 4 has great family play for all ages, e.g. I love the children life state. The teenagers are perhaps a bit older in this iteration than what they were in the other ones, but still have plenty of basic "family play" interactions for their age. (I can understand their choice to make teenagers a bit older if they have been planning on adding preteens all along, which they probably have!). Family play isn't lacking, certainly not for a base game, but much like all other aspects of the game, there's always going to be things that you can add to it. I don't think you could ever reach to a point where you could say family play is complete.

As someone said before, Sims 4 has a far more sandbox family play, and that is very true. It's nice not to be restricted by curfew or babysitters etc.
    Toddlers have left a huge gap in their absence though. Nothing can replace them. They weren't great in Sims 3 in my opinion, certainly far better in Sims 2. And I do believe they deserve an entire EP dedicated to them. We want them back, and we want them back better than they have ever been.

I don't understand why some think they'll never return though. They are just as important to the Sims series as many other favorite expansion pack additions: pets, seasons, toddlers, supernaturals, they will all be back one day. It just can't be tomorrow or yesterday or whatever time suits you personally.