Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Yikes, something in the patch changed the way how sliders work.

simmythesimsimmythesim Posts: 153 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Previously, before the patch, any SimModifier the sim had on them was passed onto their offspring, so even if a SimModifier wasn't designated for their age/gender, as long as one as one of the parents had the SimModifier, the SimModifier had a chance to be passed onto the child.

While the part where SimModifiers for the wrong age/gender was a bug, now ANY custom SimModifier fails to pass on genetically even if the child is in the valid age/gender range for the SimModifier.

@SimGuruModSquad, can you please check this out? How do genetics work?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    You don't have the latest version of MC Command Center do you? That now mods something about genetic inheritance. I didn't really concentrate while reading the update notes but if you do have it, it might be worth checking it.
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    You don't have the latest version of MC Command Center do you? That now mods something about genetic inheritance. I didn't really concentrate while reading the update notes but if you do have it, it might be worth checking it.

MC Command Center definitely isn't causing this problem, as it only affects sims if you have a template assigned, I removed it, and still, it doesn't transfer genetically to the sims children and teens. EA definitely changed something.
  • Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hey @simmythesim,

I don't think we changed anything here in the 1.15 patch, at least I don't see any changes to the code in that area and don't recall any changes here.

Make sure that the age, gender and region specified in the Sim Modifier resource are correct and the Modifier should be passed on to the child. The modifier must be flagged as available for children. Note that in the bt file I called the age\gender flags "mGender" which is a little confusing as it specifies both age and gender.

-SGMS
  • Options
    Hey @simmythesim,

I don't think we changed anything here in the 1.15 patch, at least I don't see any changes to the code in that area and don't recall any changes here.

Make sure that the age, gender and region specified in the Sim Modifier resource are correct and the Modifier should be passed on to the child. The modifier must be flagged as available for children. Note that in the bt file I called the age\gender flags "mGender" which is a little confusing as it specifies both age and gender.

-SGMS

What does the region part do? I've never come across a list of regions. I assume they're designating what body part is assigned to each region, so older sims have different sim modifiers that affect the same parts as their younger counterparts. Can we have a list of regions @SimGuruModSquad? Also the possibility off adding new regions?
  • Options
    pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    I believe they mean the RegionMap (0xac16fbec)? That has already been posted, here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/839704
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Options
    Hey @simmythesim,

-SGMS

Is there a separate entry for the game to consider a SimModifier inheritable? I've set the age/gender to allow the modifier on child Sims, but it still won't pass on to the child Sim.
  • Options
    pbox wrote: »
    I believe they mean the RegionMap (0xac16fbec)? That has already been posted, here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/839704

I'm not really sure if they're the same.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hey @simmythesim @pbox ,

Yes this region is different from the Region Map.

The Sim Region enums are documented here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13828373 (I need to update the Sim Modifer .bt file with this info). It is not possible to add new ones, as they are hard coded in C++. Notice that there are face and body regions, which is relevant to genetics

A quick summary of genetics:
    • For each facial region, the parent from whom the child will inherit from is chosen randomly.
    • For all body region modifiers, the child inherits from the parent of the matching sex, or random if both parents are the same sex.
    • There is some additional tweaking that happens, such as adding variation.
    • The code looks to be written such that it will properly handle passing down multiple modifiers on the same region.
    I used the custom slider (the one pictured in the dmap thread), applied it to both the mother and father and had a child. When the child became a young adult they indeed inherited the modifier, I believe the modifier did not appear when they were a child as it was not set as enabled for children. So it seems to be working roughly as I would expect - how are you testing?

-SGMS
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @SimGuruModSquad, are genetics in CAS ("Play with Genetics") and Gameplay the same? I've only tested genetics in CAS, so that would explain the different results we've gotten.

ETA: Nope, still not working, even in gameplay.

ETA2: Fortunately, I had some backups from a few days ago, before I rewrote the add_slider cheat, I thought that maybe I broke something?. Unfortunately though, it's still broken, which again leads me to believe that the developers changed something related to genetics.

TL;DR Took some backups out of storage, put them in game, didn't work even though they were fine a few days ago.
    Post edited by simmythesim on
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I can see why a boy cannot inherit his mother's breast slider setting, but I do wish in general the fatness at least was random. I have a skinny father and a fat mother and all their sons are skinny and all their daughters are fat and this isn't realistic. Is this something that is accessible to modding?
  • Options
    @SimGuruModSquad, something I forgot to mention was that when a sim aged up, they would lose the custom sliders applied to them.

• Options
    Hey @simmythesim,

Hmm interesting yeah, I am seeing that as well. It does not appear to happen on the child who inherited the modifier though. Not yet sure why you are not seeing the child inherit the modifier and I am, if you could provide the mod (python and dmap) that would help. I can't say when I will be able to take a look, but will get to it when I can.

-SGMS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top