Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It *is* boring!

To me anyway. Try as I might I cannot get into this voyeuristic mode that is called the main game. I greatly enjoy the Builder and its ability to create houses and venues - but the Barbie/dollhouse mode does nothing for me. I cannot for the life of me fathom what keeps people interested in watching virtual moppets pee, or make lunch, or go to work - which they tend to do every 5-10m - when we all do these things in RL all the time anyway! I play computer games to get *away* from RL - not be mired ankles deep in it - like I'm under some sort of microscope. I want to kill dragons and use magic and save the world- not watch people got to *work*! Of all things... So I guess I'll stick to the Builder...

Comments

• Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    So, are you into the less realistic scenarios past games might've had?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,432 Member
    You can also make your simself and live out your fantasies.
  • Options
    reni344reni344 Posts: 362 Member
    Dragon Age sounds more like the game series your looking for.
  • Options
    Interestenly TS3 Dragon Valley from the store had Dragons but you couldn't fight them. They were merely to be kept as pets however you could tell them to sit fire to another sim.
  • Options
    fromsmilesfromsmiles Posts: 47 Member
    I agree to a point. I don't enjoy watching people go to work, let alone go to it myself! But sims is much more than that to me. If I can create another version of me and create things I can't do in real life, like a cow plant for instance, then I'm definitely going to do it in a game!
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Well you might be asking for too much... Maybe wait for a supernatural EP. However the sims 4 is boring, its not challenging and it lacks creativity in comparisson to other versions.

21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Usually we'll get some kind of expansion that will let your Sims do magic. But killing things and saving the world aren't really part of the package, barring deviant play that might involve killing off your Sims.

As a previous poster pointed out, you've described Dragon Age perfectly. Sims is more of a life simulator so most of the gameplay revovles around the mundane, though again sometimes the dlc/packs added to the game include things like supernaturals, aliens (we got those in Get to Work), magic, dragons, time travel, tomb raiding, etc. But it will still always involve making food, sleeping, going to the bathroom, etc.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    The Sims Medieval or the Sims 2 Castaway might interest you more. They provide different environments than the typical suburbia scene.

Some pictures of both games.
    latest?cb=20101020072022
    ded627666038dc6dbec723f48ac3797d8323b162_large.jpg
    JessicaFishing.jpg
    72.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I wonder why the OP hasn't replied.
  • Options
    KlewbossKlewboss Posts: 58 Member
    > @grallonsphere said:
    > To me anyway. Try as I might I cannot get into this voyeuristic mode that is called the main game. I greatly enjoy the Builder and its ability to create houses and venues - but the Barbie/dollhouse mode does nothing for me. I cannot for the life of me fathom what keeps people interested in watching virtual moppets pee, or make lunch, or go to work - which they tend to do every 5-10m - when we all do these things in RL all the time anyway! I play computer games to get *away* from RL - not be mired ankles deep in it - like I'm under some sort of microscope. I want to kill dragons and use magic and save the world- not watch people got to *work*! Of all things... So I guess I'll stick to the Builder...

It's kind of nice to have them pay bills and all the little things that make it more realistic. If they could add like "getting drunk" or like some darker undertones would be fantastic. Feel like you could then be anything and a even more stress reliever. Like you could murder someone in the game even if its in your head like your boss or something. Maybe feel better about going to work the morning after, anything to get you through the day. Sorry for the psychotic feeling to this post not at all who I am, but I play a lot of other like play station and gta ect. to enjoy some violence and adult themes, not sensitive there.

But I know why they can't and I Semi understand their thought process. If I didn't have this game as a teenager i wouldn't have know happiness. I love the build mode just as much, and having made my boyfriend play I think he would have agreed with you but he mostly wants pets. Wants to recreate our dogs... lol...

Anyways have you played sims3 medieval? That's a completely different kind of Sims game, and more what you are looking for maybe. Really a great game for a different look at the sims and what it is.
    Petition for honesty from EA on subjects like Toddlers, CASt, Open World, Story Progression, OLYMPUS, etc... http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/844877/petition-for-honesty-and-official-word-from-ea-on-toddlers-story-progression-cast-open-world-etc?new=1
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Honey that's Sims for you it's just a really in depth doll house. If you don't like that aspect you won't like any of the games so maybe Sims just isn't the series for you.
  • Options
    OP how about watching some Sims 3 or 4 Let's Plays from Starlight Sims or Lifesimmer and you'll see why we love this game.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2016
    It isn't your game, or at least the gameplay (Live Mode) isn't. What keeps people interested and/or addicted to the gameplay differs greatly from person to person. Escaping reality, living fantasies, creating stories, messing around, getting creative, challenges, the sandboxy nature of it, uniqueness, etc. Regardless, it's not your style of gameplay. It's that simple, you don't like every game do you? This is one of them. At least you enjoy the building aspect, so it isn't a total waste of money for you.

And if you are trying to get away from some sort of RL that resembles The Sims' gameplay, your life must be bat 🐸🐸🐸🐸 crazy worthy of having a show. I'd watch it.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Maybe your not into life simulator type games or sims4 isn't catter to your play style like so many others here. That could be why its boring for you.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Sims 4 is the more of the happy go lucky type of game. I guess if you want the darker humor and magic to the Sims, the Sims 1 and 2 might be better choices. Sims Medieval would work too. Basically from the Sims 1, EP you'd want to get is called Makin' Magic. The Sims 2 handles supernatural population the best, so there are cool classic supernaturals with multiple EPs from there. The Sims 3 has a Supernatural pack too but it is tied more to pop culture references. The Sims 3 Pets has unicorns. From the Sims 4, closest thing you'll get to magic and a life state is probably the Spooky Stuff pack and Get to Work.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    sweetiebabe27sweetiebabe27 Posts: 12 New Member
    I love The Sims. Its a magical fantasy world where I can grow up, get a job, get married, AND pay my own bills.

I can live out all these dreams right on my computer. Ya know..since I can't do that in real life because I keep buying EPs, SPs and GPs....
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    Honey that's Sims for you it's just a really in depth doll house. If you don't like that aspect you won't like any of the games so maybe Sims just isn't the series for you.
    Just because they like magic doesn't mean the Sims isn't for them. With the Sims 4 maybe, but Sims as a franchise, no because there are alternatives even within other Maxis games. The Sims isn't a dollhouse for everyone. It means different things for different people and not everyone plays the human only Stepford lifestyle. Some actually do like the darker humor of the Sims. Will Wright didn't design the series to be a perfect world. He designed it to be a parody of life both with good and bad. If he designed it to be exactly like real life we would have Sims going through real pain, paying more taxes, real birth scenes, and other realistic aspects. Magic and supernatural which is also a part of the series brings dark humor into the game and ability to make fun and play with by altering realistic situations.
  • Options
    AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    Sounds like sims isn't your game. Im not sure many people here could tell you what they love about real life replication of the sims. I know I cant, I just do. But one of my favorite quotes ever... "I love video games because I can do crazy things, for instance, in the sims you can have a house and a job." Its a phenomenon for sure, something about the sims grabs ahold of players and makes them fall in love with it. Now of course not everybody will like it, and I think in the beginning, many people thought it was a plum idea. But it still remains the best selling PC series of all time (I think, is that still correct?)
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    Just because they like magic doesn't mean the Sims isn't for them. With the Sims 4 maybe, but Sims as a franchise, no because there are alternatives even within other Maxis games. The Sims isn't a dollhouse for everyone. It means different things for different people and not everyone plays the human only Stepford lifestyle. Some actually do like the darker humor of the Sims. Will Wright didn't design the series to be a perfect world. He designed it to be a parody of life both with good and bad. If he designed it to be exactly like real life we would have Sims going through real pain, paying more taxes, real birth scenes, and other realistic aspects. Magic and supernatural which is also a part of the series brings dark humor into the game and ability to make fun and play with by altering realistic situations.
    the bold part i agree if indeed sims is just a "doll house game" then i probably could never started to play it, "what catched me is the pontential of the serie to be "any game" not just doll house or not just family or work, sims 3, sims medieval and some mods showed me it which is possible to do more things, like i told i would rater have a game "classifed as 16 or 17 or 18 age and be able to deal with many aspects or if the game could have "fight" since have a useless "violence tag"(serious what is violence in this game?? peoples behind a dirt cloud can be classified violence???, why street fight which have fights is rated teen and actually have violence without "dirt clouds", in my time teen rate means "no gore or blood" not "no fight or violence" really how they make the game even more under aged rate is disturbing.

My dream(probably i will ending doing it myself) is play a actually true life simulator where i can do mimic and enjoy many aspects of life and have also things like supernatural, terror, comedy, violence sci-fi and others things which could be added to make the game look a different one if i wanted(ofcourse opcional)

Well i would love to see a life simulator more like "minecraft" where the player will be the one to choose what to do with the game that could be really a big dream and project not just a money cache.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    the bold part i agree if indeed sims is just a "doll house game" then i probably could never started to play it, "what catched me is the pontential of the serie to be "any game" not just doll house or not just family or work, sims 3, sims medieval and some mods showed me it which is possible to do more things, like i told i would rater have a game "classifed as 16 or 17 or 18 age and be able to deal with many aspects or if the game could have "fight" since have a useless "violence tag"(serious what is violence in this game?? peoples behind a dirt cloud can be classified violence???, why street fight which have fights is rated teen and actually have violence without "dirt clouds", in my time teen rate means "no gore or blood" not "no fight or violence" really how they make the game even more under aged rate is disturbing.

My dream(probably i will ending doing it myself) is play a actually true life simulator where i can do mimic and enjoy many aspects of life and have also things like supernatural, terror, comedy, violence sci-fi and others things which could be added to make the game look a different one if i wanted(ofcourse opcional)

Well i would love to see a life simulator more like "minecraft" where the player will be the one to choose what to do with the game that could be really a big dream and project not just a money cache.
    I would love that too. I do like that about Minecraft about how much of a true sandbox game it really is. There are no goals and so many different ways to play and create in it. I think we honestly have yet to see what a life simulation game can really do. The gaming industry is growing so much, that technology could really change what Sims can do now into so much more. I've always wondered what a Sims game might be like in a virtual reality experience. It could be funny watching someone play Sims that way. XD
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Ah... now I want to make Dragons and Wizards get a job and make them pee... maybe have a dragon/wizard food cook off...,. I feel bummed. :lol:
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @grallonsphere it's interesting you brought this up regarding why play the game since it's like RL. My family asked me the same thing the other day...like what's the point of the game, if there's no objective. I think that's why I've always loved The Sims series. You're in complete control to do what you want. There's no right or wrong way to play the game. For me, I like to create drama and mischief, things I wouldn't do in RL. Or I like to start a Sim from scratch, no skills, no money and see if I can work my way to the top. & what I've always found cool, is that even if my friend & I are playing on separate computers & we start with the same family, no two games are alike. The same events don't happen. My friend & I don't make the same choices, so we end up with two totally different games, even though we started the same. Endless possibilities.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To me anyway. Try as I might I cannot get into this voyeuristic mode that is called the main game. I greatly enjoy the Builder and its ability to create houses and venues - but the Barbie/dollhouse mode does nothing for me. I cannot for the life of me fathom what keeps people interested in watching virtual moppets pee, or make lunch, or go to work - which they tend to do every 5-10m - when we all do these things in RL all the time anyway! I play computer games to get *away* from RL - not be mired ankles deep in it - like I'm under some sort of microscope. I want to kill dragons and use magic and save the world- not watch people got to *work*! Of all things... So I guess I'll stick to the Builder...
    Well, my adventurous genie painter never peed or made lunch or went to work. Peeing he got rid of as a child (lifetime reward), lunch he fixed by clicking his fingers and money he earned by painting and by selling collectables he found in Chinese tombs. He also beat a bunch of mummies, which I've never done in my entire life.
    5JZ57S6.png