Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Magic as a skill, and a Magical Expansion Pack that's feasible.

AFeazyAFeazy Posts: 91 Member
edited January 2016 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
This post is fairly long. I cover all the main points I would like to see in a magic expansion pack, and ask for other people's opinion. But the main point of this is primarily magic as a skill. Instead of "witch" or something similar being a lifestate, there should be a magic skill that anyone (even supernaturals) can do. For the skillbooks they would be spellbooks or something like that, with an activity object like a cauldron or something. As magic level increases they get new interactions and abilities, like so many other skills. Those interactions would basically be spells. I talk more about that further down. What do you think of this idea? Would you like to see it in your game?

I don't know about you, but I would really like to see a magical expansion pack. As an expansion, not only could it potentially offer more, but that way people who want magic and mythical creatures can buy it, and those who don't don't have to have it. The pack would introduce magic, and magical things.

I have seen several other threads along a magical or supernatural line. However, for the most part, while the ideas I read were really awesome, I simply can't imagine EA releasing something that extravagant, neat, or in-depth. Maybe in a seperate game, but not as an expansion for the present Sims 4. What I am proposing or the ideas I am throwing out there are something I think seems to be something EA would be more likely to do. I would love to know if others like the sound of the ideas below.

While a magical expansion would have magic, it wpuød only make sense for it to introduce mythical creatures as well. Of course, personally I would like to see all of the original mythical creatures that were in other games, such as vampires, werewolves, etc. I think many of us could probably agree on that.

However, I think instead of "being" a witch, it should be reflected in a new skill; this not only reflects that someone who knows magic is still human, it would allow anyone (maybe except children) to potentially learn magic (there could be spellbooks for skill books, and something like a cauldron or magic table to practice magic on). Maybe alchemy could still exist too, but to me the herbalism skill from the game pack is already pretty close to that. However perhaps with an alchemy skill you could turn an item into something else or something. I don't know. Plus, having both the magic and alchemy skills introduced is probably too much for EA, at least if we want mythical creatures, too.

Aside from the originals, I would love to see some new mythical creatures, as well. The Sims 3 Supernatural introduced new ones such as the fairy. If the fairy is included again, I think they should be a little different. They seemed a bit too...phoophy in the Sims 3. One of the biggest myths for fairies is being able to shapeshift, so making them have shapeshifting would be cool. It'd be just like the aliens and their "disguises", and like the aliens, when shapeshifted to look human they can go in public with low risk of being discovered. Otherwise I suppose trickster or plant-based abiltiies. What do you think?

Some ideas for new ones (feel free to add suggestions):
Elves
Satyrs/Fauns
Goblins/Trolls/Orcs/something-like-that

I think that, more than any previous Sims game, magic would work really well in th Sims 4. With emotions, there could be spells to make someone fall in love (become flirty, and gain a boost to love-interest meter towards the caster or someone else), to make someone embarrassed or sad; there could be disorienting spells (dazed emotion triggered strong). Haunting spells would only work if there was a "fear" emotion in the game. But it could trigger in the sim's house or viscinity to act like ghosts are around (moving objects and whatnot). Maybe that one is too conplicated for the Sims 4, bu just throwing ideas out there.
Plus, when people discover someone who is a mythical creature, they may get an emotional state. If it's possible, I think the emotions "fear" and "creeped out" need to be added. If fear is already in the game, its triggers need to be expanded, 'cause I have never seen it. You would think seeing the Grim Reaper would be pretty scary.
An obvious trait would be something akin to Sims 3's "Supernaturals Fan", which would mean while most react badly to discovering a supernatural (creeped out would be a good emotion here, see, but I suppose tense could work if it's not possible to add new emotions), they would react positively and become very happy, or maybe focused (from discovering mythicals are real). With witch being a skill, with maybe level 2 or 3, they could gain the interaction "confess to being a witch". Maybe each time they perform a spell in public (or in front of other sims), they risk a chance of being discovered, kind of like disguised aliens using their powers. It wouldn't have to be called "witch"; it could be wizard, or anything else.

Elves could have nature related powers and learn the magic skill more quickly. Maybe could turn psuedo-invisible (like the ghosts), but that's maybe going too far for this game.

Satyrs would basically just look like satyrs. If you have an idea for potential abilities, please say so. Maybe they would gain the mischief skill more quickly?

Something akin to goblins or trolls could have innate pestering powers, maybe like an ability to give people negative emotions (like sad, tense, or angry), and can maybe do things like set traps on showers and stuff like that. Maybe they couød demolish objects like the inventor skill in the Sims 3, and they get fun out of it, and cause a bad emotion to bystanders. I think orcs are too violent to fit very well into the Sims and rightfully be called orcs. I mean what abilities could they have? Kill people? Yeah, not going to happen in the Sims, so I'm leaning more towards something like goblins or trolls.

These creatures you could make in CAS, and could be NPCs. It wouldn't make sense to "become" an elf, faun, or goblin/troll, but you could have children with them so there's a 50/50 chance of the kid being human or being the super natural. Maybe you wouldn't know which until they age up to childhood (or if EA thinks it's too hard to add supernatural children, I suppose they could transform ontheir teenage birthday). Perhaps with the Science skill or career, or with the magic skill (or alchemy, if it's there too), you could transform someone into one of the supernaturals (or make a supernatural human). Just some ideas throwing out there.

EA probably wouldn't be willing to include a whole lot of mythicals in an expansion. My top choice for the selection would be vampires, fairies/elves (EA probably wouldn't do both), goblins/trolls, and werewolves. It would be nice if they added the ability to play a ghost like they did for Sims 3 Supernatural, but personally I would still get the game of they didn't.
What selection of mythical creatures would you like to see included, as top picks?

With magic being a skill, there could be a career for it, too. Since I am not sure EA would be willing to go too in-depth in that if they are doing the other things, it doesn't have to be living career, to me, but would be cool if it was. Maybe something somewhat vague, like the "Mystical" career. One branch after level 5 could go to something more witchy, like something akin to "sorceror", and the other more mundane/non-mythical, like "Paranormal Researcher". One would be where you are the one doing magical things, and the other where you are researching or studying those magical things. Maybe that career could have the option at the highest level (of either) to transform to a mythical creature (in the case of normal, human sims) or a human (in the case of mythical sims). Is that possible?

What do you other simmmers think? Any ideas? Thoughts?
Post edited by AFeazy on

Comments

• Options
    AFeazyAFeazy Posts: 91 Member
    Just giving this one more go to make sure that really no one likes these ideas.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2016
    No, I... I can't even think about them removing the potential, most powerful Life State all together, and opening the power to a human.

Magic isn't just some Skill a Human can pick up, Its suppose to be complex.

It's a Supernatural Rule, You have to be Born or Turned with these abilities. Any human who wishes to to wield such power must pay a price.

I really don't think My ideas are too much, It certainly doesn't have to be all in one pack, there can/should be multiple. I'd buy more supernatural packs.

they just need to add my key spells I need to have fun.

Poofing (Smoke customizable)

giphy_1_by_mphattyboi-d9ocgby.gif

ripping out hearts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0OHLsz3Mvw

and fireballs
    giphy_by_mphattyboi-d9lcxay.gif

if they can do that.

I just want potions/curses challenging and fun to craft, and totally messed up.

Curses like Destroying a the chance for a couple to conceive a child.
    the ingredients could be so vile like the tear of a Child/toddler. Hemlock and Sleeping Curse. you would have to find, collect these and make other potions to make other potions. You'd have to make a child cry.

And if sims wanted flying brooms they'd have to go out and buy their own broom, learn enchanting and enchant their own brooms.

same with magic mirrors.
    you would have to imbue the mirror with enough of your magic, then pick a victim. cast an Isolation curse, and trapping them in the mirror.

But I really think there should be a Uniqueness

Sorcerers Would have an easier time with magic, They could very well become a Master By they become a Young adult.

Humans, should only be able to use objects that have magical interactions.

Like a cauldron and If they have the ingredients make potions. but success of making it are slim, and they could gain some experience.

But I don't want to see Magic meters, It really should depend on the Sim's Needs. mainly their Energy.
    followed by Experience with the spell, their Magical skill level, and then their emotions.

Anger - makes spells powerful, but they're sloppy, no self control and a lot of room for errors
    Energized/focused/inspired - Sorcerer Sims will be at their Most powerful, leaves no room for error, very precise.
    Flirty/Confident/Playful Sims may be a little distracted and decide to have a little fun with magic, could be
    Sad/tense/embarrassed sims will be at their weakest, not really feeling it. success rate = .1%
    Happy/fine it's the medium it's a 50/50 shot. you got it or you don't.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif