Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the new movie stuff pack really needed when you can already do this in game?

All lgr did was size up a regular tv thats in the game- theres your in game movie projecter. As for clothing, hair and furniture, I feel like I can find similar items for free by just doing some cc shopping so the only thing i would get out this is maybe the popcorn maker. Thoughts?
https://youtu.be/PEygKrEIa20
giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I don't like using CC as I load my builds onto the gallery a lot and participate in competitions which are usually "nocc" allowed. As such, I love the new build/buy stuff (which is a true departure from what we have to date) and the new clothes. Granted, the projection TV was not at the top of my list for buying this (and yes I get that we could always just enlarge a TV) and I don't know that I dig the grid effect on the screen of the projector even if it is truer to life. Still, the new movies are really cute and some are very funny and the popcorn maker I think I'll use as much as I use any of the kitchen appliances which is to say not a lot BUT when I do want them I'm glad they're there. The pack is only ten dollars and for what we received I think it's well worth it.
  • Options
    0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    It's probably not worth your time if you'd rather do what LGR has done.

I personally don't want to up-scale a stereo(?) as speakers. I wanted the actual movie item.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I have a community lot with enlarged TVs on it and I'm not sure if I need this pack. I don't hate the idea... guess we could appreciate that they gave us a game that is so flexible you can create similar things without payign the extra money (I don't mean this in the "appreciate what you got" rant kind of way, but genuinely :)). I might get the pack later if it goes on a sale or if I feel a sudden urge to have hippie stuff.
  • Options
    Sims3ambitionsSims3ambitions Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Oh, one more thing. Sims actually stay seated for the entire movie and watch it. If they start chatting they get shushed by everyone around them. You can't duplicate that with the blown up TV.

I hear some people are having problems where as soon as sims finish their popcorn they'll get up and walk away, even if the movie is still playing. Seems like a pretty game breaking bug to me. :neutral:
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't know about CC but the furniture in the pack is absolutely amazing and so are the clothes and I always prefer to use official game stuff rather than cc, if I can avoid it I will.

As for gameplay enlarging a stereo and a tv is very far from it being called new gameplay. I could also enlarge the little car decorations and make it seem like I have a car parked in my house. What sense does that even make? You can't drive it and you won't be able to make your sims watch movies just the regular tv channels which they don't start to cry in the middle like one of my sims did XD. And there is always the popcorn maker.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Oh, one more thing. Sims actually stay seated for the entire movie and watch it. If they start chatting they get shushed by everyone around them. You can't duplicate that with the blown up TV.

I hear some people are having problems where as soon as sims finish their popcorn they'll get up and walk away, even if the movie is still playing. Seems like a pretty game breaking bug to me. :neutral:

My sims did not stay seated. They got up and changed chairs while talking the whole time. No one shushed, probably because they were all talking. Only one sim got popcorn even though I hit get popcorn together.

---Seems like the only one enjoying the movie was me.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

My sims did not stay seated. They got up and changed chairs while talking the whole time. No one shushed, probably because they were all talking. Only one sim got popcorn even though I hit get popcorn together.

---Seems like the only one enjoying the movie was me.

My sim stayed sited while he was watching the movie, nor did the movie end after he finished his popcorn and one of the sims in my club got up and started crying in the midle of the movie XD. But the other two people of the club wouldn't shut up nor they would stop in one place so my sim shshed them twice :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    None of the stuff packs are actually needed. They're essentially 1 or 2 new objects with a bunch of decor and new cas items. If you're expecting a whole lot of new game-changing content for just $10, you're gonna end up disappointed. Basically, they are a nice little bonus.

Having said that, the new SP is actually really cool. The popcorn machine and movie screen add a new little dose of gameplay that can be used in a day to day basis. A lot of simmers are also overjoyed with the new bohemian stuff and that's pretty cool to see.
    Post edited by Mightydan on
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think for those that don't use cc it's a good pack.
    I think it's a bit unfair to say you can already do it in game for movies and the popcorn machine. This we don't have. I don't think we have had movies since TS2? Correct me if I'm wrong if there were movies in 3.

I like the pack, i like the new clothes although I do wish there were more for children. But I like getting my sim families to sit and watch a movie. I always liked it in TS2 and it's nice to have it here.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Mightydan wrote: »
    None of the stuff packs are actually need. They're essentially 1 or 2 new objects with a bunch of decor and new items. If you're expecting a whole lot of new game-changing content for just $10, you're gonna end up disappointed. Basically, they are a nice little bonus.

Having said that, the new SP is actually really cool. The popcorn machine and movie screen add a new little dose of gameplay that can be used for a day to day basis. A lot of simmers are also overjoyed with the new bohemian stuff and that's pretty cool to see.

i second this. i really dont think anything sims related is needed so i just ask myself will it be fun to have. for the movie pack i too use CC so ill probably never use most of the CAS or objects unless i recolor a few but i got it specifically for the movies and i think it does add something more then just watching TV. theres new interactions and i like the added responses. for a premium object i think its actually well executed. the popcorn machine at least for me is a nice little thing to have my sims do while watching the movies.

sitting and standing i do have sims getting up while watching tv like they are so involved with watching :) but they can and do eat the popcorn and leave the bowls on table in order to watch the movie. hiccups with routing is something overall the game needs tweaking.

it also doesnt surprise me others think differently about this stuff i usually dont care for stuffs but i just think its a personal decision.
  • Options
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit unfair to say you can already do it in game for movies and the popcorn machine. This we don't have. I don't think we have had movies since TS2? Correct me if I'm wrong if there were movies in 3.

I like the pack, i like the new clothes although I do wish there were more for children. But I like getting my sim families to sit and watch a movie. I always liked it in TS2 and it's nice to have it here.

One of the main reasons I love this pack so much is exactly because of that! Because like in TS2, our sims can watch movies now and this time around they amazingly react to them. And no in TS3 this was never a thing. You could only go to the rabbit hole theatre.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    To CC or not that is the question.If your like me and not comfortable with second party downloads then we gotta hope EA fills the void.I wasn't going to buy it but I'm addicited.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I love this pack so much is exactly because of that! Because like in TS2, our sims can watch movies now and this time around they amazingly react to them. And no in TS3 this was never a thing. You could only go to the rabbit hole theatre.

I don't have this pack so I can't find out for myself, but when your sim is watching a movie and showing reactions, do they really feel those emotions? When the sims cry, are they really sad? When they get jumped, are they tense? Do they get flirty when they watch a romantic movie? Do all of the reactions actually have corresponding appropriate emotions for the sims? If they do, does the emotion last past the movie? Like a sad buff from having seen a sad movie, or flirty from seeing a romantic movie?

• Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    It is totally a personal choice as to whether or not it is needed. I like it myself. I enjoy the new clothing and decor-though I kind of wish they would have added theater seating and home theater seating.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member

I don't have this pack so I can't find out for myself, but when your sim is watching a movie and showing reactions, do they really feel those emotions? When the sims cry, are they really sad? When they get jumped, are they tense? Do they get flirty when they watch a romantic movie? Do all of the reactions actually have corresponding appropriate emotions for the sims? If they do, does the emotion last past the movie? Like a sad buff from having seen a sad movie, or flirty from seeing a romantic movie?

No emotions come along with the reactions during, but the sims will get a moodlet at the end of a movie telling you what they though of it which can influence their mood.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Well if you care for detail, the new TV actually has a Projector, a nice little touch that makes it fit for movie-viewing in my opinion. Plus a sized up TV won't get you Movies, Sims reacting to the Movie, Sims interacting with each other whilst watching the movie, Popcorn with I think 2 Flavours which Sims can attempt and fail to toss a popcorn in the air and succeed or fail trying to eat it, Sims dropping their Popcorn due to a jumpscare(RIP Popcorn :'() or boho/bohemian themed stuff(is that what it's called?) Personally, the different style than we usually get is what makes me like this Stuff Pack, it's not the gameplay object that catches my attention this time it's the colourful and optionally plain looking stuff, it's a bit like a breath of fresh air in my opinion :3.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    So much for emotions being the core of the game. They haven't updated them at all through any of the packs. No new ones. No reactions to things that should get a reaction.

I have mixed feelings about this pack. I already created a movie theater in my game and it was functional enough. This is the first pack that I bought myself because I wanted the popcorn and actual movies. I'm a person who enjoys watching the little clips that play and trying to guess what it is a spoof of. So I bought it. But so far, it's a bit underwhelming. My sims sat and watched the tv better than they have this movie screen. Perhaps it's because there are too many chairs in the theater, but I was not happy with how the behaviors went with this thing.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

No emotions come along with the reactions during, but the sims will get a moodlet at the end of a movie telling you what they though of it which can influence their mood.

Thank you for the answer. :)
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member

Thank you for the answer. :)

Yup! :)
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    So much for emotions being the core of the game. They haven't updated them at all through any of the packs. No new ones. No reactions to things that should get a reaction.

I have mixed feelings about this pack. I already created a movie theater in my game and it was functional enough. This is the first pack that I bought myself because I wanted the popcorn and actual movies. I'm a person who enjoys watching the little clips that play and trying to guess what it is a spoof of. So I bought it. But so far, it's a bit underwhelming. My sims sat and watched the tv better than they have this movie screen. Perhaps it's because there are too many chairs in the theater, but I was not happy with how the behaviors went with this thing.

What kind of venue is your theatre?
  • Options
    kiwiboy18kiwiboy18 Posts: 123 Member

And no in TS3 this was never a thing. You could only go to the rabbit hole theatre.

I believe there was a set from the Sims Store that introduced cinemas, movies and all that kind of stuff for the Sims 3
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    checked out a review, o far I really like the clothes they've added and the male shoulder length hair.
    kiwiboy18 wrote: »

And no in TS3 this was never a thing. You could only go to the rabbit hole theatre.

I believe there was a set from the Sims Store that introduced cinemas, movies and all that kind of stuff for the Sims 3

Yeah it was called the le Cinema plumbob. It was a walk in venue were your sims can get snacks and drinks, pay for a ticket to get in to watch the movie , had a gate that lets you set ages for all sims. Sims definitely used it for my bars so underage sims couldn't walk in. You really got that movie theater vibe, I really loved it.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Well, not everyone uses CC, so the new CAS and Build/Buy mode items may actually be really helpful for those wanting new stuff for their game.
    Also, we now have the ability to watch actual movies with the new pack. It's exclusive to the pack, meaning we couldn't already do that; we could only watch TV.

So, maybe it doesn't interest you and isn't your style. That's okay, you don't have to like it or buy it. But to others, it fits them well, and is exciting to have. We all have different interests.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2016
    *shrug*

Personally, I'd rather have the 10 movies with the range of new animation - different animation for different genres, even - and interactions that come with them. I rather suspect you can't just upsize a TV and magically get new animation and interactions. But if all you care about is having a bigger TV screen, go ahead, I guess?

Honestly, Luth! Start working already so you can *buy* the pack.

Hmph. All right!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.