Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I Buy The Sims 2???

Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
I looked up some discussion topics and noticed that Sims 2 had a better family focus and parents could interact with their children more. So should I buy it? What are the pros and cons?

Comments

• Options
    hummingbird41556hummingbird41556 Posts: 923 Member
    I still play Sims 2 and love it! If you can get it to run on your computer, it is worth it. However, there are things about it that don't always function. I had boxes under my sims, had to find out how to fix that. There was only one window size, had to go to an outside source to find out how to fix that. There is a Sims 2 board here, maybe you should check it out and see what others who still play are saying? :)
  • Options
    ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    Buy it and play if you can. It's really amazing!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Everyone seems to love it but after playing the Sims 3 and 4.. no. I hate it. The graphics are not good, there is very little selection for sims outfits and objects. No. I just got it and wish I didn't.
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Positives: Fun, interesting, grilled cheeeeeeeeeese
    Negs: Prepare to DIE!
    (I mean your sims, don't panic)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If you are interested in interesting and fun game play you might like it. Have you watched some let's play videos on you tube?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    If you are interested in interesting and fun game play you might like it. Have you watched some let's play videos on you tube?

People let's play the sims? Seriously?
    Gosh, if I let's played the sims someone would probably arrest me.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited November 2015
    I know this is a few days old but I just had to throw in my two cents. Its completely worth buying especially with the price so low so often. If you love the sims series you'll love sims 2. Its a bit harder to keep sims alive than 3 and way harder than sims 4 and much easier to keep them alive than sims 1. Seems each iteration got easier with time for some reason. Anyway, its unique and has some Create a Sim options but not nearly as many as Sims 3 or Sims 4. So long as you don't go in expecting Sims 4 with its pull and push sliders and room resizing tools you'll be fine :) I think I saw the complete edition on amazon last week for 10 USD. For that price, even if you only play it twice its worth while I think.

There also still seems to be a great deal of Sims 2 custom content out there. Modthesims has it as well as simsresource and a bunch of independent simmers/creators as well. There's not as many clothing and hair and makeup options in ts2 without cc but the game play itself (in my opinion) makes up for the lack.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member

I have and there seem to be more parent and child interactions which is a plus :)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited November 2015
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I know this is a few days old but I just had to throw in my two cents. Its completely worth buying especially with the price so low so often. If you love the sims series you'll love sims 2. Its a bit harder to keep sims alive than 3 and way harder than sims 4 and much easier to keep them alive than sims 1. Seems each iteration got easier with time for some reason. Anyway, its unique and has some Create a Sim options but not nearly as many as Sims 3 or Sims 4. So long as you don't go in expecting Sims 4 with its pull and push sliders and room resizing tools you'll be fine :) I think I saw the complete edition on amazon last week for 10 USD. For that price, even if you only play it twice its worth while I think.

There also still seems to be a great deal of Sims 2 custom content out there. Modthesims has it as well as simsresource and a bunch of independent simmers/creators as well. There's not as many clothing and hair and makeup options in ts2 without cc but the game play itself (in my opinion) makes up for the lack.

Just loving the Sims doesn't seem to make a difference to some. I've seen some players say that they can't get over the graphics or some other aspect. For me game play is the biggest thing and I find TS2 to to have the most in depth play of the series.

Yes it is harder to keep them alive and that has gotten easier as 3 and 4 came out. Remembering comments I've seen and reading forum posts that have been made over the years my best guess is that there have been requests from players to get rid of consequences, have their Sims live forever and that the games have been too hard.

I do know that after the before release Sims camp onr of the Gurus said that some fans felt unexpected deaths weren't "fair" and so they removed things like falling satellites, meteors and and wanted players to be warned about imminent death. My personal view is in doing that they also removed challenge, unexpected twists and made the game more simple.

It seems that some now want a perfect fantasy life simulator instead of a game that mirrors a real life simulator with quirky twists. Give me real, imperfect, and challenging any time. Utopia doesn't offer any challenge but maybe people just want Utopia handed to them now?
    Post edited by PHOEBESMOM601 on
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Yes. If you can get the Ultimate Collection, you should play it. I only play this when I want to take a break from TS4 and don't feel like dealing with the lag that comes with TS3.
  • Options
    actuallyitsjessicaactuallyitsjessica Posts: 136 Member
    I've loved Sims 2 since the moment I saw the box in store and had the money in my pocket. I was like, "Nobody touch that, that's mine!" I could finally afford it, lol. And loved it even more the first time I saw what the game looked like. But some would say the same of Sims 4. I loved it with minimal expansions and stuff packs, and I love it a thousand times more since getting UC. Family play is my thing. My favourite family has six children and two grandchildren and I'm stingy when it comes to letting any of them age.Only half of the children have reached adulthood in 5 years of me playing the game.

Along with family play, there can be some dark moments. Just yesterday, I lost a child to a fire while he was playing on the model train set (had no idea that thing is so hazardous, lol). Luckily, his father with whom he has a close relationship, was given the chance to bring him back, by the reaper (Have to admit, I had a good laugh while he tried). If he'd failed, I would have exited without saving. Little Tom is back to playing the trainset and I'll put a sprinkler in to keep him safe.

Sims 2 is a step back, in some ways, like with CAS and building, if you're used to Sims 4. The game has its annoyances, lol, like sims throwing a fit if something is blocking their path. I use mods to curb them. If you have the money, it's up to you. With all expansions, you can have toddlers to snuggle, feed, potty train, teach to talk and walk, family interaction and responsibilities towards your kids, cars, helicopters, large or tiny properties, pets that can destroy your furniture and be taught not to, apartments, restaurants, hotels, swimmable beaches, swings sims can push each other on, a poolslide for adults and kids, a real diving board, video game, pinball machines, and so on and so on... :smile:

• Options
    You get grilled cheese if you do. Grilled cheeeeeeeeeeeese!
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Something to keep in mind is you have to have friends for jobs in Sims 2.
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    This might give you some inspiration. The family play is amazing and with the proper CC, best looking sims in the series IMO. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832300/pleasantview-updates-updated-7-8