Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Branched Careers: Must I Choose?

Is there a cheat that will allow my Sim to do more than one branch of a career? Like culinary, my Sim finished the cooking side. But I'd like to get him mixology as well. And my painter Sim would like to complete both sides of the Painter career.

Comments

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't think so. I've tried demoting with the cheat to get below the branch level, but after demoting 3 times in a row you get fired, and you can't choose a new branch when you do finally get to that branch level. Once the job icon had changed to show you maxed a branch, you can't switch.
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    Great question. I'm not sure about the answer, but here's a bump.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Well, plumb. That needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you complete a branch, then retire and start over. I think there is an advantage you can purchase that starts you at a higher level in a career which will get you closer to that split level. Then chose the other branch and work hard. You should have a lot of the skills already completed, so you should move up quickly. In real life you would have to start over so why not here?
  • Options
    You don't even get the option. You are locked into the path you completed first.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    You don't even get the option. You are locked into the path you completed first.

Are you saying that if you complete one branch, the other branch is locked out for that sim forever?
  • Options
    stephAnie1864stephAnie1864 Posts: 200 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Are you saying that if you complete one branch, the other branch is locked out for that sim forever?

That's something I would like to know too. I don't really want my sims doing any career branch if it means that each sim can only do one and not both.

I'm fine with making my sims quit and then start the career again if they are able to choose the branch they didn't previously do.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I have a test self sim that I have maxed all aspirations, cash and one branch of each career on (to test lots, set up shops and get outfits unlocked in CAS) - I haven't found any way to choose the other branch. I've tried quitting and restarting, demoting with cheats etc. It doesn't work.

You only have the option to join the maxed branch:

4c84df8bd3.png

ETA: It maybe because I cheated the my way through the Aspiration Milestones for the Aspiration Reward Traits, before I cheated to max the careers, but then again, it might be that way anyway.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited November 2015
    You know there was once a mod I used that let you change your career branch not sure if it made you start from the bottom or kept you on the same job level
    Post edited by Simfan923 on
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,649 Member
    edited November 2015
    The only way is to finish that one branch and then quit the job. Then you save your sim or household to the My Library and start a new game. This will reset all the history of jobs that your sim has had so far. You will still be able to access those career items that you've unlocked, so don't worry. Now go pick the same career again. You will start from level 1 then eventually, you will get to pick the other branch.

NOTE: I'm not too sure if you have to start a totally new game, for the reset to take place, but maybe you can just try to do it in your current saved game first. Then test to see if your sim can get the level 1 job.

I know it's a bad solution cuz you need to start all over again in a new game, but that's the only way to do it without mods.

And yes, it works cuz I've done it before. It's also the only way you can do the chef and mixology, and comedy and musician aspirations without cheats.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,995 Member
    I wish they would change this also. I wanted one sim to complete all the careers and this makes it impossible. The only work around for me is to have her daughter complete the other branches. At least that way the unlockables stay in the same household.
  • Options
    stephAnie1864stephAnie1864 Posts: 200 Member
    I wish they would change this also. I wanted one sim to complete all the careers and this makes it impossible. The only work around for me is to have her daughter complete the other branches. At least that way the unlockables stay in the same household.

I hope they change it too. I dont get why they made it so you can only complete one branch and not both
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    @DeKay this is such a random bump.. but I am currently attempting the "All The Things" challenge where I want one sim to complete literally everything.. every job, aspiration, collection, skill etc.

So if I do what you suggested.. save her to the library.. will I lose all her skill development and everything else (other than the job history) that she's built up?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,649 Member
    edited September 2016
    @KatyJay88: She will only lose her relationship with sims outside the household and her collections. The cool thing is that she will lose her 'job history' but items that you have unlocked from a career will still be available. :D She will still keep her skills, stats/satisfaction points and reward traits etc.

Also, I believe you don't have to start a new game, unlike what I stated earlier.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    @KatyJay88 If you're not opposed to Mods there is a Mod that will allow you to switch tracks without having to clone and save your Sim each time you want to do the new career. It's called the Change Career Branch and it's available on Mod the Sims. It uses the in-game cellphone to basically have your sim quit their career and then instantly restart it right at the split so you can choose the second career path. It's what I'm using for my All the Things save. I'm not sure if you'll still have access to the career rewards but I'm not sure why you wouldn't if it still registers you as having topped the career.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I'm not totally opposed to mods I just wish I didn't have to use them. I will definitely check that one out. Thanks!
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I'm not sure if it's new, or I just noticed it, but Chef and Mixologist are separate career options now.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    They have always been two separate branches of the culinary tract.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    If you have the MC Command Centre Mod, you can switch career paths at any time - and your boss wont fire you for getting demoted down to that level :)
  • Options
    LBDXLBDX Posts: 382 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    The only way is to finish that one branch and then quit the job. Then you save your sim or household to the My Library and start a new game. This will reset all the history of jobs that your sim has had so far. You will still be able to access those career items that you've unlocked, so don't worry. Now go pick the same career again. You will start from level 1 then eventually, you will get to pick the other branch.

NOTE: I'm not too sure if you have to start a totally new game, for the reset to take place, but maybe you can just try to do it in your current saved game first. Then test to see if your sim can get the level 1 job.

I know it's a bad solution cuz you need to start all over again in a new game, but that's the only way to do it without mods.

And yes, it works cuz I've done it before. It's also the only way you can do the chef and mixology, and comedy and musician aspirations without cheats.

You can actually complete both the chef and the mixology aspirations by going down just the mixology career path. The mixology aspiration requires you to be on the mixology career path, but the chef aspiration only requires you to get to 8 or so in the culinary path, not necessarily the chef branch!
    CyXin77.gif
    American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
    Origin ID: texeganjane
    How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!