Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop/Netbook Is SO LOUD...

Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
So, I've had a Zoostorm netbook for almost a year (I got it for christmas last year), and ever since, it always made a noise. So, that is the story. It isn't a super loud noise, but I want to use my netbook at night, without getting caught by my parents, but it's SO LOUD, I think I'd get caught in an instant... I don't want to take apart the little thing, but it's super noisy...

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Could you post your DxDiag?
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    If it does not fit, split it up into multiple posts. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    I may not be able to do it right now...
  • Options
    Notifying some experts...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    It's the middle of the night. That's why.
  • Options
    I got them!:
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 32 bit (10.0, Build 10240)
    Processor: Intel® Atom™ @ 1.66GHz (4CPUs) ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Name: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
    Date: 11-Mar-13 14:48:08
  • Options
    @Minx11

Your computer is extremely underpowered and you are risking it to be fried someday.

Since laptops cannot be upgraded in terms of a new computer, the only option is to buy a new computer altogether. You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops range around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops range around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), $800 (custom).
  • Options
    I wasn't really using it for games, anyway, but I'll talk to my mum about it. And also, I'll convert the Dollars...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Minx11 wrote: »
    I wasn't really using it for games, anyway, but I'll talk to my mum about it. And also, I'll convert the Dollars...

Ah my mistake then.

It'll be fine if you are not planning to play games on it. :)
  • Options
    @Colton147147 I do have a couple of games on it, I just don't play them, but I downloaded a thing to make 3D Avatars on it...
    Will that fry it like a fried egg?
  • Options
    As long as it isn't PC games.

App games are fine.

@chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    If you're not playing games on it and it's still loud, there might be something wrong with the fan or hard drive. You might want to get that checked out, even tho you said it's only 1 year old. Or if you still have it under warranty, you can maybe get a repair or replacement for free.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Look into cleaning it out. Either send it to a shop or look on up on Youtube how to do it yourself. If a computer is clogged up with dust it will struggle so the fans kick on and the whole thing is running at top speed. It will make noise.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    valchajmervalchajmer Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'd call it on overheating issue and noise coming from your fans/cooler having dust piled in or making the drive spin over its limits.
    You may want to take it to cleaning at the service shop, lots of times where graphics get under effect of heat
    it would dry out the pasting on it, and all it takes is blowing the dust out and putting new paste layer over the graphics card.

The above actually saved my old computer not only from noise but brought it back from the dead as it kept shutting down at some point.

Also for first aid, try lifting your laptop on a higher level (put say a large firm book under it) so it has lots of space free on all sides and see if that helps. Freeing it from being glued on your desktop or too close to the wall will make it cool faster.
  • Options
    @Colton147147 It doesn't have a Disc Thing. It's only little.

@DeKay The thing is pretty Ancient... I just upgraded it to Windows 10 from Windows 7...

@Simasaurus09 It did sit doing nothing for ages...

@valchajmer I do try to put something under it when i'm using it. I do place it sort of in front of a wall for a few months when I was using it. I'll look into the Servicing Stuff
  • Options
    A dusty computer is not a happy computer. :p
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 I have been scared to touch my little Zoostorm Netbook all day...
  • Options
    If you say it's ancient meaning it's not new (exactly 1 year old), then you should clean it. Bring it to a shop to do it. Or ask them if they can replace the fans. I had a laptop for 5 years (with Windows 7 as well) and one day, the fan started to be kinda loud and fast. Eventually, every time I start the laptop, I will get a black screen saying that I have to replace the fans.

But I was afraid to bring it to a shop cuz I don't trust some tech people who don't know what they're doing and they might even ruin the laptop even more, so I just didn't do anything and bought a new one cuz I would be too sad to see my baby boo die. Yes, I called my laptop baby boo. Don't judge me. XD

So, you can decide to bring it to a shop or buy a new one.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    See what a shop will charge you.
  • Options
    @DeKay I'll have a look around, see if there is anywhere nearby... (I live in a rather small town...)

@Simasaurus09 Again, I'll have to look around.
  • Options
    @valchajmer Hmm... I think I might have to speed up my search a little... Now it's randomly shutting down as well...
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Since you had Windows 7 on it to begin with, I'm willing to bet you have HDD instead of SSD (types of memory storage "hard drives" if you don't know the terms). SSD is much quieter and faster, but it is a touch expensive. Though if you don't play games on it, don't download movies, etc, and take up less than 100 GB data, you could buy a cheaper one.

If your hard drive is failing, then a SSD might solve your problem. However, I think it may have to do with overheating due to a likely clog of dust in the fan. That could also be why the laptop is randomly shutting down. Do you get a blue screen, or does it just lose power?

There are many guides online, but you can do a quick check in the exhaust area of the laptop and see if there is visible dust to start with. I had an issue with cat fur clogging up the fans. Do you have pets? If so, might be an issue XD

I also recommend you do a disk cleanup/defrag, a virus scan, and clean out the temp files.

I have an old laptop (it's about 4 years old -- that's old for a laptop with no upgradable parts) and I know the hard drive is noisy. Always has been though. It also has a potentially failing motherboard, since it will no longer accept a charge (....and the hard drive keeps getting extra files -- the thing is clean, I know it has no viruses on it). It's also not the battery's fault. Now that I have a new desktop, it's no longer a problem, but I still need to transfer the remaining files.

If changing out your hard drive is not a solution, then after making sure it's cleaned out and you've tried my other suggestions, at that point I would take it to a shop to see what advice they give.
  • Options
    It's definitely over heating. I suggest getting a new laptop.
    x3vZicL.gif