Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips for Family Play

I have never tried the family play. I am not really good at controlling two Sims at once, so I figured I would fail at controlling a whole family. But, I'm going to start a legacy challenge, and I'd be very grateful if you guys would give me some tips about family play and the legacy challenge. Thanks in advcance. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    My tip: Don't angst about kids' marks unless you need good marks for a kid's ambition that you're trying to fulfill or unless you really need that kid to get a level or two head start in careers later.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    I have never tried the family play. I am not really good at controlling two Sims at once, so I figured I would fail at controlling a whole family. But, I'm going to start a legacy challenge, and I'd be very grateful if you guys would give me some tips about family play and the legacy challenge. Thanks in advcance. :smile:

Please learn, I'd like to know if there is any family play.
  • Options
    giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2015
    My tip: Don't angst about kids' marks unless you need good marks for a kid's ambition that you're trying to fulfill or unless you really need that kid to get a level or two head start in careers later.

Thank you. Will keep it in mind. :)
    xPaxion wrote: »

Toddlers would make a lovely addition to game, but just because there are no toddlers in game, it doesn't mean families don't exist. A family isn't only made out of a toddler and two parents. An adult child and two elderly parents make a family too, or a child, and a single parent, for that matter. In this thread I started I was asking for tips, not for smarty comments about how TS4 doesn't have toddlers. But, thank you anyway for taking time to say something.
  • Options

Toddlers would make a lovely addition to game, but just because there are no toddlers in game, it doesn't mean families don't exist. A family isn't only made out of a toddler and two parents. An adult child and two elderly parents make a family too, or a child, and a single parent, for that matter. In this thread I started I was asking for tips, not for smarty comments about how TS4 doesn't have toddlers. But, thank you anyway for taking time to say something.

Try taking a family picture.
  • Options
    giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    @xPaxion I didn't even know that taking family pictures was a thing in previous games. I understand your frustration, but the way you reflect your anger for not getting what you want from TS4 in my thread is wrong. This thread isn't a "let's diss them cause they didn't do this or that thread". This thread is the one where I asked for tips and tricks about family play in TS4, whether or not so many family stuff is lacking in this game. I just want to know what I can or should do to make it easier for me to control a family with more than 2 Sims. That's all this thread is about.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,345 Member
    edited September 2015
    I have few tips, I actually only logged in to like your comment on family play.

- Take advantage of traveling if you feel overwhelmed by keeping your sims´ needs up. Take one or two to a venue and the rest of the family will replenish their needs on their own while you are away.
    - Turn off Free Will. It is better to have your non-controlled sims stand around idle than having to deal with the nonsense they will initiate on their own. Especially when it comes to cooking and blocking the kitchen. Once you are comfortable with playing a larger household you can always give them back their Free Will.
    - Sims react to everything within their line of sight. A single bathroom can be used by more than one family member (and thus save time in the morning) if you place some walls that block line of sight between toilet and shower.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @giallorossi - He's leading you on there. You can't take a family picture except by trying to get them all where you want them then doing a "Take Picture" and aiming right at the right moment. The posed portrait options are two-Sim only IIRC? and not mixed-size Sims. It's a limitation in what GTW added that upset a lot of family players.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,916 Member
    Great thread. I've bookmarked so that I can refer to. I started a large family in the beginning and had to move some family members out because I was quite overwhelmed so hopefully there'll be some good tips forthcoming.
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    There are cute little things when interacting with older sims you find sometimes. Like asking about being old.
    Just don't grow the family to big to fast and take advantage of a stay at home grandparent.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    Shame, I was actually being semi-serious, my Sim lives with two other women, and all they do is chat, eat meals, and watch television together.
  • Options
    gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    One thing I find useful with my families (I usually play with free will off) is if you're playing with one Sim/focusing on them, pause the game and give the rest of the household things to do (get something to eat, use the bathroom, read a skill book, etc.) so that either their needs are good or their gaining a skill while you're not focused on them.
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,345 Member
    edited September 2015
    [...] my Sim lives with two other women, and all they do is chat, eat meals, and watch television together.
    Sounds like pretty normal family life to me ;)

• Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    start small.. maybe with a couple or just one sim who meets her/his partner in town. That way you slide easy in the familyplay cause directly 6 sims or so can be hard.

I now manage 3 sims and its easy, not that the number is high but i had 6 before as well and 4 of them teenagers that needed friends, a story, boy/girl friends and daily activities to match their personality. But when i had them as babies one by one it really didnt matter and it wasnt that hard.

Their story plays itself and you just go with it ;)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have a family of 2 grandparents, 2 parents, 2 teens and 2 children, 4 males and 4 females. One weekend, I had the mom take Grandma and her 2 girls to the spa for "girl time" together. The next weekend, I had the dad take Grandpa and the boys camping in GF. Breaking them into small groups is easier when out and about for me. Also, the grandparents and/or parents may have a night out at a lounge or bar while the teens babysit. Away from home, I find 4 to be the most I can easily control. They tend to run off on their own, especially the kids. Sometimes, Grandpa will take his grandsons fishing or Grandma might take the granddaughters shopping.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited September 2015
    I like my families to be dysfunctional. The one I'm currently playing consists of an adult couple with a teen son + their YA live-in maid. The mom is a workaholic, the dad is supposed to be a self-publishing author although he spends more time watching the game with his friends than writing and the son is a weirdo. Right now the husband is having an affair with the maid so far he's been able to keep it secret. He's almost been exposed a couple of times though.

Btw your comment on different types of families is awesome. I also like having a single parent with a kid/teen and it's really fun to juggle being a good parent with having a successful career.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

My only tip for you is not to worry about controlling them all at once or even controlling them all the time. You can leave the others on freewill while you play/focus on one.
    This also helps the Sims do things you might not expect- shows their personality, too.

So, don't stress about having more than one Sim and hope for some unexpected interactions when not controlling them. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Oh! I thought of another one. Try playing a longer lifespan. It makes legacy-type building slower, but you get more days to devote to different family members.

Oh! And another one: Manage your population so culling and townie-creation don't throw your game off. Here's some things to consider:
    - Use the MC Command Center mod to stop culling if you want to be able to see genealogy long-term.
    - You can also use it to prevent culling of townies (who might be your Sim kids' best friends or love interests!), but if you don't want to do that that way, move not-in-world families you want to keep in the game into houses.
    - Your kids will inevitably go to the park a lot, which will generate new townie families. Unfortunately, a lot of those families will consist of one adult female, one teen female, and one child male ... which makes an imbalanced population. You can edit the families in Manage Households to make them more balanced before you find yourself wondering why when your boy child has become a teen, he can't find potential girlfriends.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    First advice for a family is to start small, with one or two kids at most until you get used to controlling everyone. I got overwhelmed in my first legacy as the founders had 6 kids! :p Unless you are playing by strict legacy rules, you could even make a single parent with one child in CAS, then maybe later down the road the parent can look for a mate and have another child with them, so your family grows gradually.

My families love to play horseshoes together (need Outdoor Retreat) in the parks at Willow Creek and Oasis Springs. They also play cards together, swim, cloud watch, and tell group stories, especially about ghosts when it gets dark! You can even place a campfire--you don't need to go camping to enjoy it wherever you want. If your Sim is alone at a community lot, you can always opt to click to bring other family members there with you, so kids can come do homework or work on skills or whims---same in Get To Work in a retail business you own. Family members can assist in helping or greeting customers. Objects such as activity or science table and kid's violin are great to place at community lots for skill building and fun, besides playing on monkey bars, etc. Don't forget community hot tubs too, since kids can now use (need Perfect Patio), and they seat 8 Sims.

Another way to take family portraits is by paint-from-reference. You can turn off free will and position family members how you like, either standing or sitting, take the capture, and have your Sim start painting them! The better the painting skill, the better the outcome. You'd need a live-in roomie to do this if you want all family members to appear in the same portrait, but it can be done with a little planning. :) Hope you have fun experimenting with families in Sims 4!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member

Try taking a family picture.
    As long as you have someone taking the picture, you can set your sims to get them all in one...just use the cellphone.... Take photo.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I've been playing an edited townie family, I changed them and moved them into a house, mum dad teen daughter and young boy. They started of poor. I find keeping the teens happy is hard, so I took the family to different town lots and added stuff like a piano, in the museum, guitar at the night club. there is also a large TV at the club to and many sims there to chat to, lots of fun things to do that they can't afford at home. After school I take everyone to one of these places, while mum and dad are gaining skills, talking to neighbours ect my teens are getting their fun up, the boy is either doing homework, showering, or seeing to any need he has or I direct him to,
    When her fun is high enough she does her homework. Every lot has a fridge, microwave and a shower.
    I play with free will on. a good tip is to pause, and give a list of what you want everyone to do. But don't fret when they do their own thing.
    Just have fun.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    Oh! I thought of another one. Try playing a longer lifespan. It makes legacy-type building slower, but you get more days to devote to different family members.

Oh! And another one: Manage your population so culling and townie-creation don't throw your game off. Here's some things to consider:
    - Use the MC Command Center mod to stop culling if you want to be able to see genealogy long-term.
    - You can also use it to prevent culling of townies (who might be your Sim kids' best friends or love interests!), but if you don't want to do that that way, move not-in-world families you want to keep in the game into houses.
    - Your kids will inevitably go to the park a lot, which will generate new townie families. Unfortunately, a lot of those families will consist of one adult female, one teen female, and one child male ... which makes an imbalanced population. You can edit the families in Manage Households to make them more balanced before you find yourself wondering why when your boy child has become a teen, he can't find potential girlfriends.
    Yes, I go into manage households every so often and add spouses, children and teens every so often so people in my houses don't die out. It also gives my sims child/teen friends of various ages
    ...it works well. You can also merge people into families, or add totally new families. It is kind of fun to merge a family members from one of the premade families ( like goths) with another premade sim ( like a cild you made between the pancakes) and use the genetics to make a child between them. I recently took the callientes into manage households ( since the family was beginning to die out) and genetically had each sister have a child with Don Lothario to keep their lines going.... I kind of have fun doing this... lol. It is cool to see what their offspring look like and it fills my town with children and teens so when the older sims die... The town and friendships can continue between families.
  • Options
    SarduchiSarduchi Posts: 208 Member
    Get a work from home job, or at leasts don't try to do any of the active carriers. The limitation of having one lot active at a time makes family play rough otherwise.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,409 Member
    I like playing with free will on, often focusing on just one sim and letting the rest take care of themself. My favourite family consists of mom, dad, eldest daughter, twin boys and youngest daughter. They play chess together, help each other with homework, cook family meals, paint pictures of each other, read books together and the kids play on the monkey bars. I specially enjoyed developing the relationship between the dad and the eldest daughter, they were both interested in science.
  • Options
    haloujahalouja Posts: 175 Member
    I play with free will at maximum and tend to concentrate on just one or two of the family at a time, leaving the rest to take care of themselves. It helps if you can try not to worry about what your free will sims are doing so you can just let them get on with things themselves, and hold off on the micro managing - although I know that is easier said than done. However, the pause button is your friend, so this can help you by allowing you to queue up a series of actions for each family member. Have fun! :)
    This signature has encountered a problem and will now close; do you want to send an error message?

25Aug2014
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ohh, this will be useful for me. Getting my family ready for the new European world and then it will be eight sims. At the moment I'm comfortable playing a group of four sims.