Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Together - The reason EA needs competition

I'm still in shock that this is what we are getting as our next EP. A mish mash of random ideas thrown into one pack with a most uninspiring name. Anyway, the community for the most part has been asking for family play and here we are one year later with nada. No hints, no promises, not even a definite "no, that ain't happening," just silence. EA needs some competition so if some other gaming company out there is reading this, please know that this is my plea to you to make a life sim that is deserving of my money. Something that lends itself to all types of playstyles and that is a real sandbox and not this, whatever it is, that EA is trying to sell to us.

Comments

• Options
    Baloshi2Baloshi2 Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sorry, I am kind of excited about this. I like the two in conjunction. Since I'm lazy, I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on SimsVIP.

I feel like this pack isn't as "you either are using it or not" as GTW was, but will gel with the current game play seamlessly, where the stuff, such as interactions or wallpapers (which I'm loving), even the clubs and new activities shown in the trailer, will be used consistently. Just take a deep breath in, and hope for vampires.

Oh, and don't forget swimming in bodies of water. Do hope that they add that feature into ALL of the worlds, or even a patch like TS3.

Although, as insanely excited I am for this expansion pack, it just now hit me that this will be the second expansion to not include features for children. Oh well, we just have to hope that these new clubs will be available in the form of after school activities. After all, kids can just as easily "Get Together" (which oddly has the same first word as GTW). Hope I will be pleasantly surprised there. Otherwise, I can't wait to get my hands on this!! November is... so.... far.

***reposted from SO THIS IS HOW THE SIMS 4 DIES... posted by axel1015***
    giphy.gif

Origin ID: Baloshi2
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Baloshi2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I am kind of excited about this. I like the two in conjunction. Since I'm lazy, I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on SimsVIP.

I feel like this pack isn't as "you either are using it or not" as GTW was, but will gel with the current game play seamlessly, where the stuff, such as interactions or wallpapers (which I'm loving), even the clubs and new activities shown in the trailer, will be used consistently. Just take a deep breath in, and hope for vampires.

Oh, and don't forget swimming in bodies of water. Do hope that they add that feature into ALL of the worlds, or even a patch like TS3.

Although, as insanely excited I am for this expansion pack, it just now hit me that this will be the second expansion to not include features for children. Oh well, we just have to hope that these new clubs will be available in the form of after school activities. After all, kids can just as easily "Get Together" (which oddly has the same first word as GTW). Hope I will be pleasantly surprised there. Otherwise, I can't wait to get my hands on this!! November is... so.... far.

***reposted from SO THIS IS HOW THE SIMS 4 DIES... posted by axel1015***

I would've loved this if we got open restaraunts, but no we got bakeries which you can basically already make with GTW. In addition to that, the "new bodies of water" have been confirmed to just be a new pool tool to make it look like a swamp. You still can't swim in the ocean itself. I'm hoping that my meh attitude will turn to happiness, but I'm not holding my breath this time around.

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    There is no swimming in bodies of water, it is a new pool tool that creates a pond.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    There is no swimming in bodies of water, it is a new pool tool that creates a pond.

Well I like it!
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I'm in shock as well. It is as if all the complaining on the forums the last year about content has been ignored. Over and over again people said that they were tired of the game catering to YA and leaving out the other age groups. People wanted content for kids/toddlers. People want more holiday stuff. People want destinations. People want weather now when the game is more stable rather than waiting years in and putting it in with loads of content and having problems with it all going together. Seasons would've been perfect, right after Halloween and right before Thanksgiving & Christmas. Family play would've been so neat. Now, I'm just ready to ignore the forums for a while. Just not into this one.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2015
    It has competition. Some simmers only play The Sims, but plenty of simmers also play other games. And a lot of people who previously only played the sims are starting to get interested in other titles. There are so many other games out there right now, so many other companies who are actually trying new things and being innovative. I've loved this series for a long time, but a lot of the things that I enjoy can be found in other games. I can build, explore, create, and more in other games. I can get my open world fix from other games since TS4 decided to lock the whole world down with loading screens. Anyway, the point is, they seem to act like they have simmers' money in their pocket and that we'll all buy what they churn out no matter what. But, that's not true. Just because they have a monopoly on the life simulator doesn't mean that people won't take their money elsewhere if the quality starts to go downhill.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    It has competition. Some simmers only play The Sims, but plenty of simmers also play other games. And a lot of people who previously only played the sims are starting to get interested in other titles. There are so many other games out there right now, so many other companies who are actually trying new things and being innovative. I've loved this series for a long time, but a lot of the things that I enjoy can be found in other games. I can build, explore, create, and more in other games. I can get my open world fix from other games since TS4 decided to lock the whole world down with loading screens. Anyway, the point is, they seem to act like they have simmers' money in their pocket and that we'll all buy what they churn out no matter what. But, that's not true. Just because they have a monopoly on the life simulator doesn't mean that people won't take their money elsewhere if the quality starts to go downhill.

All kinds of companies make socks, but if I'm looking for knee high ones and no other company has them what good does that do me? Same goes with EA making the only real life sim. Yes I play other games but that does me no good when I want to play another new life sim and the Sims 4 is the only thing on the market.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member

All kinds of companies make socks, but if I'm looking for knee high ones and no other company has them what good does that do me? Same goes with EA making the only real life sim. Yes I play other games but that does me no good when I want to play another new life sim and the Sims 4 is the only thing on the market.

You know Bethesda could do a real life simulator or Rockstar. I would love to see that. Imagine Skyrim style life simulator? XD
  • Options
    RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    Paradox can make a great life simulation game in my opinion, just look at the Cities: Skylines. It's a lot more better than what Maxis did with SimCity. They can do that with The Sims as well.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • Options
    GaiaPuma wrote: »

You know Bethesda could do a real life simulator or Rockstar. I would love to see that. Imagine Skyrim style life simulator? XD

Yes I would love if they took a shot at it. I've never played Skyrim but my husband has it, so I watch him play sometimes and those worlds are just too gorgeous.
    berginon wrote: »
    Paradox can make a great life simulation game in my opinion, just look at the Cities: Skylines. It's a lot more better than what Maxis did with SimCity. They can do that with The Sims as well.

I love Skylines and I remember when there was a rumor that they might be making a life sim and I got my hopes up. Unfortunately they were dashed, but who knows with the backlash EA has gotten, that might just be enough fuel to get them to create something.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I hate to break it to you in this society there is hardly any money in making simulation games from other companies the only reason why EA can is because they got the base from all the other games created that give them lots of money.

Why would any other company take coders and developers away from the shoot them up first person shooter games to develop a non goal driven game based on artificial people.

EA has many of those games to support the non goal standard games. I don't really believe that The Sim City game failed, I believe that it wasn't what people expected.

They got the John Madden Football NFL football game and EA Sports this corporation is huge so yeah they can afford it. The Sims Maxis is part of EA Games, they made many games from Sim Ant to Sim Coaster and on.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Get Together - The reason EA needs competition

yup

sorry EA, but really, you need to reconsider what you are delivering with Get Together
    there are only two reasons why i am still here

1. i am simmer since the beginning, 15 years of playing this game & buying nearly everything, countless hours & countless euros spent

2. there is no serious competition - would there be, then i would be probably away despite my devotion to the sims franchise for the past 15 years

but to think that you can sell me literally everything just because i am too plum to realised that i am being taken for a ride - well, no ...

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    EA definitely needs competition so they get out of their comfort zone quickly and we players get more options/choices.
    It started with Cities Skylines already and I hope someday The Sims will get its competitor too. It is too frustrating when we have to settle for less.

So OP I am very shocked too about this EP. Compared to every EP released to TS1, TS2 and TS3 this sounds the worst so far. Yes I have not played it and I dont think I will, I don't know why I don't have the desire even to watch reviews for it. Maybe I feel this way now because the effect of their Gamescom conference is still so fresh in my mind. Maybe I will watch the reviews when it gets released. but this time what I am 100% sure of is that I am not going to settle for less.

So if The Sims does not have competition I am not going to accept something shallow just because of that. I would rather spend that money in November on Fallout 4. Not having this EP in my game is not end of the world
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GainjaGainja Posts: 167 Member
    Hear.

I'm not impressed. EA you could have gone for seasons/weather, pets or generation oriented content and you go for clubbing? What is the point?
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2015
    GaiaPuma wrote: »

I would LOVE to see what Rockstar would do with the genre and getting a developer like them to throw in some competition could very well light the fire underneath EA's butt... but at the same time I don't think a Rockstar version would be as universally open and accessible because a lot of their games have mature themes and content.

Bethesda would also make an amazing game for the genre, but it would be as buggy if not moreso than what we already have :(

Heck even with their reputation for making quality games not being as good lately I'd still love to see an attempt from Gearbox as well - if they had the same warped humour as they put into Borderlands that would be a freaking amazing experience.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2015

I know some fans feel that way, but what I mean is if EA/Maxis thinks that the fact that they are the main ones making life simulators right now somehow ensures that they will succeed no matter what, they're dead wrong. Gamers have wider interests than ever before. If people can't find what they're looking for in one place, a lot of them will just broaden their horizons and look elsewhere.

In other words, a consumer may be looking for the knee high socks that a certain company always made, but if those socks start to degrade in quality and get holes after a few weeks of wear, well a lot of people are just going to go with a different style of sock and make it work. Sure, some people will stick with the old brand until the factory shuts down, but a lot of people are going to adapt to different things.

That's the mistake that EA/Maxis makes if they think that fans will put up with whatever crap they pull just because they're the biggest life simulator on the market. They're not the only game in town. They may not have a lot of competition when it comes to life simulators, but there are so many other games, and a lot of other developers are trying new things and incorporating simulation type aspects. Just look at Fallout 4's shelter and settlement building. So they still have competition in some form. Whether someone else comes along and makes a "true" life simulator or not, fans aren't trapped by any means and it won't pay for EA/Maxis to get lazy.

I'd love for someone else to make a true life simulator, sure. But, if no one else does I know there are still plenty of games out there that I can sink my time into.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    there are some + and - of this expansion.. but it is not really my cup of tea and I am kind of disappointed to be honest. Will need to wait for a review to decide buy it or not.. anyway.. we will see:)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Gainja wrote: »
    Hear.

I'm not impressed. EA you could have gone for seasons/weather, pets or generation oriented content and you go for clubbing? What is the point?

I so agree with the seasons and weather.. !!!
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--