Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Foundations

I'm assuming I'm not alone on this but it seriously irritates me not being able to have foundations and have walls on the ground at the same time. Ya feel?

Comments

• Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Yeah as someone who has played all through now, I miss being able to put foundations on first. It's just counterintuitive
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I don't even use foundations any more. I was using them a lot and then one day I built a house and forgot to raise it. I put a Sim in and played the house for about a Sim week (until the bills came) before I noticed I forgot the foundation and steps. Anyway I just built another house without a foundation and I am liking this house also.

Besides the foundation messes up the steps that go down to the basement. Anyway, I think the offset steps look weird.
  • Options
    TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I don't even use foundations any more. I was using them a lot and then one day I built a house and forgot to raise it. I put a Sim in and played the house for about a Sim week (until the bills came) before I noticed I forgot the foundation and steps. Anyway I just built another house without a foundation and I am liking this house also.

Besides the foundation messes up the steps that go down to the basement. Anyway, I think the offset steps look weird.

I wanted to make a house where there are steps to get in and steps to the kitchen and stuff with a door to the outside, then I remembered there's no way to put walls on the ground.
  • Options
    ashleyrosey06ashleyrosey06 Posts: 95 Member
    > @TheBlaireWitch said:
    > I wanted to make a house where there are steps to get in and steps to the kitchen and stuff with a door to the outside, then I remembered there's no way to put walls on the ground.

I know, its annoying! You can make bi-levels if you raise the foundation and build all of your rooms closed, and then use the sledge hammer and knock out the floor on the rooms that you want lower. but you'll have to use stairs up to the front door.

Life would be so much simpler if we could just have foundations :/ sooo close with the half walls
    In Simlish, we don't say "I love you." We say "Habadu Bashubi", which roughly translates to "I can't move because there is furniture in my way." I think that's absolutely beautiful.• ORIGIN ID: ashleyrosey06 •Ts2 is superior... change my mind ;)
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    > @TheBlaireWitch said:
    > I wanted to make a house where there are steps to get in and steps to the kitchen and stuff with a door to the outside, then I remembered there's no way to put walls on the ground.

I know, its annoying! You can make bi-levels if you raise the foundation and build all of your rooms closed, and then use the sledge hammer and knock out the floor on the rooms that you want lower. but you'll have to use stairs up to the front door.

Life would be so much simpler if we could just have foundations :/ sooo close with the half walls

I've tried that but then I got annoyed because you can't use the same wall coverings on foundations as you can on walls so then you wind up with really messed up looking walls with two different types of paint on them. They really should just allow you to use the regular wall coverings on foundations.

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    The dumbest thing is having foundations on fences and hedges.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    edited July 2015
    Yeah the foundations and fences in this game are way wonky and horribly implemented. Who every thought of this was not the brightest light bulb in the pack and there was absolutely no common sense used by the person overseeing the them that said "no that is not a good idea."
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    Yeah, or having a shed with a foundation.
  • Options
    wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    Agreed, especially since I wanted to use a half-wall rather than a fence for a cellar I'm putting into a starter home... Can't do that because of the foundation carrying over however, so I made a bit of a work-around using the super low fence, and the flat brick foundation. Not exactly what I wanted but infinitely better than using just a fence (at least imo).

W4qbwU6.png

Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I want so badly to have a foundation for porches and things, because they look very nice, but then a garage or carport area also has to be a foundation. Or a shed or gazebo. And depending on how you place them, decorative hedges can end up with a foundation. I would love to be able to make row houses or shotgun houses with different foundation heights. It just looks terrible the way it is, and it doesn't seem to have a good reason for being that way. It really comes off as just plain lazy.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png