Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods and cc after patch? .. survey

Hi everybody! Today, as you know, we are getting another patch for TS4 (consisting in lockable doors and half walls, essentially) .. So my question is: did you experience any problems with mods or cc put in game AFTER update? I know that we have to transfer mods/cc in another folder on desktop before updating, but after patch is installed....? I usually re-copy all my mods/cc in mods folder and I never had big problems in the game.... And you? Will you use again cc after today free updates? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Pretty sure i'm going to use all of my cc when the patch is released, but is does depend one what breaks and what doesn't, I have around 1GB of cc (mostly furniture & clothing) so it'll be hard to sort of what is broken when it does happen, but I don't really have a lot of problems with my cc while others do, so I guess we have to wait.

Just take out your mods before updating and I think you're good, maybe update some mods :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi everybody! Today, as you know, we are getting another patch for TS4 (consisting in lockable doors and half walls, essentially) .. So my question is: did you experience any problems with mods or cc put in game AFTER update? I know that we have to transfer mods/cc in another folder on desktop before updating, but after patch is installed....? I usually re-copy all my mods/cc in mods folder and I never had big problems in the game.... And you? Will you use again cc after today free updates? Thanks in advance!

CC doesn't usually cause issues but to be safe you should remove it. Mods, always.

If you have lockable doors mod you should remove it immediatly the mod and in game patch are probably going to conflict with each other if you don't and may cause crashing.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    gabriella92italygabriella92italy Posts: 607 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

CC doesn't usually cause issues but to be safe you should remove it. Mods, always.

If you have lockable doors mod you should remove it immediatly.

I've got only few mods (4 or 5 maybe) and a lot of cc (most of them furniture or objects).... Do you think that 1,4 GB of cc increase loading screens or not?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

If you have lockable doors mod you should remove it immediatly.

I've got only few mods (4 or 5 maybe) and a lot of cc (most of them furniture or objects).... Do you think that 1,4 GB of cc increase loading screens or not?

I would say yes, especially when you are loading cas. But many other factors can make loading screens slower.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

It does, I have around 1GB and there's a major different between a save without cc and a save with cc, for me it increased loading times by.. 3 to 4 seconds and when I load up my CAS or Build&Buy mode it takes a little longer, but not enough for me to go deleting cc, for 1GB I think my game is holding up quite well. :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    I will keep an eye on the forums all day to watch when the patch drops then when it does I will remove all my mods (not cc) especially the lockable doors then launch game. If all is well will add the mods back in one at a time.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    I remove the Mods folder before updates, and I'm usually slow enough getting back to playing that I have plenty of time to check the forums to see what issues are cropping up when it comes to putting stuff back. One of the rare times that being generally slow in life is useful. :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Also TS3 had got monthly free updates? I never played it ...
  • Options
    Ts3 had free updates too, but not as frequently (correct me if i'm wrong). I believe they wanted to change that in S4, that's why there's a monthly patch :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I only use no_fat/no_muscle mod.
    Some (if not all) patches disable scripted mods, so all I need to do after patching the game, enable it again.
    And it's still working, flawlessly.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Ts3 had free updates too, but not as frequently (correct me if i'm wrong). I believe they wanted to change that in S4, that's why there's a monthly patch :blush:

Thanks for your kindness :)
    Anyway I am so happy that we get lockable doors! And I can't wait to purchase Spa day Game pack!!! yupppiiiiii
  • Options
    Do you think that EA will continue to release free updates next months and in 2016? ....
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    I wonder if the lockable door include also the male-only and female-only doors.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    please please please :) do not return any mod to your game files until the creator has updated the mod (in which case get the updated file) or has confirmed no update is needed. if you havent been updating mods or removing outdated/broken mods you are running the risk of corrupting a save file. and this in theory can lead to permanent corruption to the file, for example constant crashing.

mod conflicting with the game is only completely discernible by reading code not how the game is performing. but of course when ever you run into unexpected game glitches first suspect mods! because another thing modders are wonderful generous creators but they are human too so it is possible a mod could need tweaking even though it was considered workable for a new patch, HTH
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    edited July 2015
    I don't have any cc in my game. I only used a few mods, but sadly none of them have worked after patches. Currently, I only have what the game came with, patches, EPs, et al.

ETA: Yes, I've gone back and tried to find the mods I wanted in their 'updated' form, but no luck.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2015
    only mods I have is the No Mosaic mod, and the rest is all CC, objects and clothes, Recolored made better. Since CASt doesn't exist. So those are definitely going back after patch.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    please please please :) do not return any mod to your game files until the creator has updated the mod (in which case get the updated file) or has confirmed no update is needed. if you havent been updating mods or removing outdated/broken mods you are running the risk of corrupting a save file. and this in theory can lead to permanent corruption to the file, for example constant crashing.

mod conflicting with the game is only completely discernible by reading code not how the game is performing. but of course when ever you run into unexpected game glitches first suspect mods! because another thing modders are wonderful generous creators but they are human too so it is possible a mod could need tweaking even though it was considered workable for a new patch, HTH

Oh thanks, even if you scared me! :) Does all you said concern also cc (or only mods)? ... and... (hypothesis) if I put again my mods and I experience some problems, then I delete them... Can I have permanent damage?!
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry :D and for sure no reason to be scared its easy once you get the hang of it.

heres what i do i create subfolders in my mods folder, one for mods, make up/hair/skin, objects and build. and when i update: i make a back up copy of my my documents/electronic arts/sims 4 folder and place on the desktop. i then read the patch notes to see if there is any potential red flags re CC or mods. i then pull out my documents/electronic arts/sims 4/mods/mods folder to the desktop or the whole main folder if the patch notes indicate if i should and run a test game

so i typically leave in my objects and make up and hair because generally these wont conflict with new gaming files. they can get broken which most times only requires replacing the files. like there was recently such a change to game coding that broke many make up and hair.

as for damage right now the only real damage can be to a game file. so for sure be kind to any and all important game saves. and make back up files. but removing an outdated mod is typically the only thing needed to fix a problem. but do always read modders notes about warnings. and to be fair if down the road core mods are released that could damage programming files it will take more then removal of the mod to fix the problem but its still manageable at worse you would need to reinstall the game.
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    sorry :D and for sure no reason to be scared its easy once you get the hang of it.

heres what i do i create subfolders in my mods folder, one for mods, make up/hair/skin, objects and build. and when i update: i make a back up copy of my my documents/electronic arts/sims 4 folder and place on the desktop. i then read the patch notes to see if there is any potential red flags re CC or mods. i then pull out my documents/electronic arts/sims 4/mods/mods folder to the desktop or the whole main folder if the patch notes indicate if i should and run a test game

so i typically leave in my objects and make up and hair because generally these wont conflict with new gaming files. they can get broken which most times only requires replacing the files. like there was recently such a change to game coding that broke many make up and hair.

as for damage right now the only real damage can be to a game file. so for sure be kind to any and all important game saves. and make back up files. but removing an outdated mod is typically the only thing needed to fix a problem. but do always read modders notes about warnings. and to be fair if down the road core mods are released that could damage programming files it will take more then removal of the mod to fix the problem but its still manageable at worse you would need to reinstall the game.

Thank you
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I have to move the mod folder, otherwise the patch might not work. If I forget, I repair the game and it works again. Mods may or may not work. CCs usually do except when core files changed completely like one of the patches we had this year.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    XSimMimXXSimMimX Posts: 613 Member
    I only use a faster gardening mod. Do any of you think anything patched or introduced might conflict with this aspect of the game?
  • Options
    SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    Back up your saved games too so if you do reintroduce a mod that might break something hidden or doesn't show up right away, you will at least have an older save to go back to.

I just type in the mod name or the creator to find where it came from. MTS has a comment section and I read that to see if it needs updating or if anyone is having problems.

Faster gardening is up to Version 4, so make sure yours says v4 at the end.