Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling destroys ghosts

mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Rather, culling destroys the existence of Sims in the family tree, which also destroys the ability for them to come back as a ghost. It ALSO destroys the ability to do anything beyond destroying and inventory-ing tombstones/urns. Did you put an emotional epitaph on the urn/tombstone to remember the Sim by? TOO BAD, IT'S GONE ONCE THEIR GHOST IS CULLED. You can't mourn, either. Your ONLY OPTIONS are "destroy" and "put into inventory".

I'd heard about culling, but thought it couldn't bother me too much, since I'm a very reclusive Simmer (it mostly stays in the family, since I'm a legacy player), but this happened and now I'm LIVID. I was hoping that great-grandchildren could play with their great-grandparents' ghosts! NOPE. Why. Why do this.

Anyway, just leaving this here in case folks didn't know. And, to make this "feedback", RAISE THE CULLING LIMIT. This is RIDICULOUS.

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Culling should be gone entirely. It ruins the purpose of the entire game for so many people - family players especially.

There's a point where you're going overboard in trying to cater to low end machines, and culling is definitely it.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah that's three patches being ruined by a core design now. Ghosts and family trees and Newcrest. The population system needs a complete overall to be able to work long term with expansions.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited July 2015
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    Rather, culling destroys the existence of Sims in the family tree, which also destroys the ability for them to come back as a ghost. It ALSO destroys the ability to do anything beyond destroying and inventory-ing tombstones/urns. Did you put an emotional epitaph on the urn/tombstone to remember the Sim by? TOO BAD, IT'S GONE ONCE THEIR GHOST IS CULLED. You can't mourn, either. Your ONLY OPTIONS are "destroy" and "put into inventory".

I'd heard about culling, but thought it couldn't bother me too much, since I'm a very reclusive Simmer (it mostly stays in the family, since I'm a legacy player), but this happened and now I'm LIVID. I was hoping that great-grandchildren could play with their great-grandparents' ghosts! NOPE. Why. Why do this.

Anyway, just leaving this here in case folks didn't know. And, to make this "feedback", RAISE THE CULLING LIMIT. This is RIDICULOUS.

Raising the limit won't help. Ghosts will always be a very probable culling target, because the player can't delete them on their own.
    The culling of everyone tied to your sims family tree should be a no-go!
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Culling needs to be adjusted to not destroy ghosts and Sims that are friends with other Sims. But because of the 180 limit it is near impossible to even do this. They really shot themselves in the foot by adding culling.

I really don't know how anybody can play without the No culling mod.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    TootsieeTootsiee Posts: 16 Member
    what is culling?
  • Options
    Tootsiee wrote: »
    what is culling?
    Basically deleting your played and unplayed Sims. The limit is 180 Sims, so townies can keep generating and game can cull your played Sims when you are not actively playing them. Ghost get culled frequently. When social worker comes by, you can see the game cull children then too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    what is culling?
    Basically deleting your played and unplayed Sims. The limit is 180 Sims, so townies can keep generating and game can cull your played Sims when you are not actively playing them. Ghost get culled frequently. When social worker comes by, you can see the game cull children then too.

There is a difference between what you describe and the "feature" culling. If played sims get deleted that is a bug like the bug were played sims got jobs from the game.
    The culling of ghosts "works as intended". If a sim dies, he no longer belongs to your played household, unless you invite him to live with you again. Culling was ontended for only unplayed sims and ghosts are sadly technically unplayed.
  • Options
    marcellala wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    what is culling?

There is a difference between what you describe and the "feature" culling. If played sims get deleted that is a bug like the bug were played sims got jobs from the game.
    The culling of ghosts "works as intended". If a sim dies, he no longer belongs to your played household, unless you invite him to live with you again. Culling was ontended for only unplayed sims and ghosts are sadly technically unplayed.
    That is true. It's an annoying bug.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So if i have a legacy, big one and i get up over 180 sims, my ghost get deleted? So not cool :'(
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    yes, especially not cool if those ghosts are ancestors in the family tree

@Tootsiee
    get yourself the No More Culling mod <<<
    it's currently the only chance that at least some sims won't get culled

another is to watch the population number in your worlds
    see my sig

but not residing ghosts become deleted, unfortunately :confused:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2015
    I use the no-more-culling mod, but I also use MC Command Center. MC Command Center has a feature that goes through and regularly culls the ghosts of homeless townies, which helps a LOT in keeping the population down. If it can selectively cull homeless townie ghosts, I don't know why the developers cannot restrict culling to those ghosts. It's annoying.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited July 2015
    I don't see how the culling is supposed to help the performance. Having a lot of Sims would increase the loading time for that save, but since, unlike Sims 3, Sims 4 doesn't simulate all the lots in the town at the same time, having 180 or 600 Sims shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thank you! I will check that out :)
  • Options
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I don't see how the culling is supposed to help the performance. Having a lot of Sims would increase the loading time for that save, but since, unlike Sims 3, Sims 4 doesn't simulate all the lots in the town at the same time, having 180 or 600 Sims shouldn't matter.

I think it matters because the game has to remember certain stuff about townies. It also has to age them up and stuff, but i don't know for sure.

• Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I was distressed yesterday because, within literally two minutes of her death, my legacy beginner's ghost was culled.
    They didn't even have time to mourn her before she just...didn't exist anymore. The game is terrifying. I never know who's going to be culled next...SO I'M GETTING THE NO CULLING MOOOOOD! :smiley:
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    I use the no-more-culling mod, but I also use MC Command Center. MC Command Center has a feature that goes through and regularly culls the ghosts of homeless townies, which helps a LOT in keeping the population down. If it can selectively cull homeless townie ghosts, I don't know why the developers cannot restrict culling to those ghosts. It's annoying.

what i don't understand is that TS2 had all sims listed in the neighborhood & it was great !
    & with TS4 there are hidden sims & sims which are not recognizable as working NPCs
    just badly done & disabling the player to actually manage the own game,
    that's really way beyond disliking it for me

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA