Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I don't understand..

Why are kids learning MOTOR skills? Small children learn those, you know, sitting up and walking and stuff. The kids in the game use cellphones and take selfies. I mean really.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I don't understand why children can't work on Writing, Gardening, and Computer skills.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I don't understand why children can't work on Writing, Gardening, and Computer skills.

I know, it makes no sense.
    Specially the fact that they can dig for crystals and fossils but they can't pick an apple from a tree :/ ?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

I know, it makes no sense.
    Specially the fact that they can dig for crystals and fossils but they can't pick an apple from a tree :/ ?

It's seriously weird. Like. I was picking vegetables when I was a kid. Why can't Sim kids? They don't have to learn the skill, they should just be able to help garden. It'd be cute. Like a Mom teaching her son how to plant tomatoes or something.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Why are kids learning MOTOR skills? Small children learn those, you know, sitting up and walking and stuff. The kids in the game use cellphones and take selfies. I mean really.

In real life, motor skills are not limited to the basics of standing up and walking. They include finer-level dexterity and complex movement and balance. We don't stop gaining them, ever, unless we stop trying (she says, still recovering from an hour rehab Pilates the day before). I'm not sure why our Sims would be limited to gaining motor skills only as toddlers.

What I do wish is that getting to the top of children's skills was a little easier so it was a little easier to have a few more precocious, ultragifted kids who start on teen/adult skills before they are teenagers. I guess I'd rather have a bit more chance of seriously precocious kids in my game than I'm likely to IRL, just like I'm more likely to have twins etc. in the game than IRL, or to get to the top of a career.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,607 Member
    edited July 2015
    Cos they didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to add the animations.

But kids don't keep the skills they learn, do they? Is there any point to them learning any?

Edit: Actually, writing and computer skills wouldn't need extra animations, so.... who knows!
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cos they didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to add the animations.

But kids don't keep the skills they learn, do they? Is there any point to them learning any?

Edit: Actually, writing and computer skills wouldn't need extra animations, so.... who knows!

Once you reach the top of their children skills, they unlock the teens/adults corresponding ones and these ones stay. For example, once at the top of the creativity skill, you can start working the piano skill and the child will keep the piano skill when aging up.

Children skills are also a requirement for aspirations so if you want the bonus trait, you will want to learn at least the one required.
  • Options
    LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    All of the skills that kids build go towards their skills when they grow up. It would be nice if they had some more to work on, but I like that they added that in there. If you want to talk realistically, children don't just learn motor skills when they're really little.
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Or drawing skills at that desk thing.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I too also wish that there were more skills they learn after maxing out the 4.