Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to the communication and information about future content?

We used to get information on many upcoming releases and content when The Sims 3 era was still going on. After The Sims 4 was released, it started to get really silent on these "news". I really loved when we got to see the awesome The Sims live broadcasts with SimGurus. Previous Sims games were definitely announced in advance in my opinion. I also really loved how The Sims 3 Seasons was announced in the E3/Gamescom or whatever it was. The time when The Sims 4 announced was pretty exciting time too. Why can't we get similar info or communication for The Sims 4 as well?

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited June 2015
    I lost interest with the Sims 3 and was not following any news or anything. Just was buying EPs when they were released, play them for few hours then stop until the next EP was released. However, compared to the days of Sims 2 I can say we are getting more news, info and communication. But again those times social media were not as they are now.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    Bonsai747 wrote: »
    I lost interest with the Sims 3 and was not following any news or anything. Just was buying EPs when they were released, play them for few hours then stop until the next EP was released. However, compared to the days of Sims 2 I can say we are getting more news, info and communication. But again those times social media were not as they are now.

But in TS2, everytime you bought an EP you got the little pamphlet that told us which EP was coming next.
    That was cool.

I remember those. Good times. Nowadays they like to keep us in suspense.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I want hype! Maybe then don't even know for sure which things they have are going to work so they have to keep a secret?Dunno -.-
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

But in TS2, everytime you bought an EP you got the little pamphlet that told us which EP was coming next.
    That was cool.

I definitely remember that! I remember being so excited to see the advertisement for Sims 2: Seasons! I was so happy! :)

Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member

That was cool.

Weird. Most games tell/show us what content is coming, usually months in advance to build up hype.

The big AAA games yes. But not when it comes to the Sims 4 apparently. Last Stuff Pack was announced a week before release.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think they stopped doing things like this now because of the backlash when the game changed so abruptly the reviews and some of the established community were so angry that anything they say or do is slammed publicly. I see some awful stuff media wise and they don't want to give people more fuel to pick apart every word they say after a few poorly chosen statements. I believe they are waiting it out. They do have people buying and happy, so they take a different tactic for now. If they chose another path again for 5 it will be same .. so this might be the way it stays. Planned publicity.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    And that proves my point :)
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member

That was cool.

I thought I remembered it being this way for sims 2 lol. Some simmers will never know the excitement of opening up a brand new EP box, that you're so excited to start playing because you know it's going to be awesome, and find a little surprise piece of paper that shows you what the next EP is going to be!!

• Options
    jaxie086 wrote: »

That was cool.

I thought I remembered it being this way for sims 2 lol. Some simmers will never know the excitement of opening up a brand new EP box, that you're so excited to start playing because you know it's going to be awesome, and find a little surprise piece of paper that shows you what the next EP is going to be!!

I loved this too. Although, I didn't love losing that little piece of paper with the numbers on it though, since I never registered them or joined the online community. It held no interest for me. I'm sure I might have joined if I had liked 3 since I guess it was kind of pushed for people to join?
    I missed all the hype on both 2-3 in the community, I bet it was fun.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I loved this too. Although, I didn't love losing that little piece of paper with the numbers on it though, since I never registered them or joined the online community. It held no interest for me. I'm sure I might have joined if I had liked 3 since I guess it was kind of pushed for people to join?

I think a lot of people miss it, I understand why they're going for a more secret tactic now, with all the backlash that has happened I understand they don't want that happening anymore. I just miss being excited months before a release and when the days came closer you would get insanely happy because it would release, all things aside I do understand their new tactic, I just wish they would be a little more open now since the community has changed a lot since almost a year ago. There are lots of excited Sims 4 simmers so I don't think they don't have to keep everything a secret anymore :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    EA and Maxis faced a lot of backlash when they released the game without pools and toddlers (among other things). Due to the "unexpected response" from players they cancelled their original plans for an online subscription service, and started releasing content for free. However, the free content only extended to ghosts, pools, and 2 more careers for a good 5 months after launch. With family trees, basements, and Newcrest becoming available within the last couple months.

By releasing free content EA/Maxis wanted to patch up the connection between developer and player that was severed when they released a lacking base game. After the December patch that included 2 careers the developers went silent, and the next thing to make headlines was that they were ready to roll out their first online DLC: The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat. Players still had a ton of questions though, and no answers. Toddlers were one of the most requested things that was left out of the base game. However, to date EA/Maxis has shared no information about them, or whether they are indeed something that will be made available in the game. Even though in June of 2014 Rachel Franklin released a blog on the official website saying "Toddlers would not be in The Sims 4 'at launch'." Which led many players to believe they were actively being worked on, but as of April 2015 Rachel confirmed to Kotaku that they were not, and they were simply exploring the possibility of adding them.

Maxis is in damage control mode, they have been since August 2013 when they unveiled the game and players didn't like what they heard. I can hardly call a game a success when they have been in damage control for almost 2 years with no improvements to show for it. The silence is a side effect of Rachel Franklin's poor management of the game and the game originally being an online multiplayer game. As I said, it's been almost 2 years since Maxis went into hiding about The Sims 4. If they had anything in development that would change the perspective players have about their game, they would definitely be dropping lots of hints.

They also released a free holiday pack DLC thru Origin in December.
  • Options

I think a lot of people miss it, I understand why they're going for a more secret tactic now, with all the backlash that has happened I understand they don't want that happening anymore. I just miss being excited months before a release and when the days came closer you would get insanely happy because it would release, all things aside I do understand their new tactic, I just wish they would be a little more open now since the community has changed a lot since almost a year ago. There are lots of excited Sims 4 simmers so I don't think they don't have to keep everything a secret anymore :blush:

This is actually what I'm thinking maybe in a year or so though. People have tenacity.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    RAmen @drake_mccarty 1
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited June 2015
    EA and Maxis faced a lot of backlash when they released the game without pools and toddlers (among other things). Due to the "unexpected response" from players they cancelled their original plans for an online subscription service, and started releasing content for free. However, the free content only extended to ghosts, pools, and 2 more careers for a good 5 months after launch. With family trees, basements, and Newcrest becoming available within the last couple months.

By releasing free content EA/Maxis wanted to patch up the connection between developer and player that was severed when they released a lacking base game. After the December patch that included 2 careers the developers went silent, and the next thing to make headlines was that they were ready to roll out their first online DLC: The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat. Players still had a ton of questions though, and no answers. Toddlers were one of the most requested things that was left out of the base game. However, to date EA/Maxis has shared no information about them, or whether they are indeed something that will be made available in the game. Even though in June of 2014 Rachel Franklin released a blog on the official website saying "Toddlers would not be in The Sims 4 'at launch'." Which led many players to believe they were actively being worked on, but as of April 2015 Rachel confirmed to Kotaku that they were not, and they were simply exploring the possibility of adding them.

Maxis is in damage control mode, they have been since August 2013 when they unveiled the game and players didn't like what they heard. I can hardly call a game a success when they have been in damage control for almost 2 years with no improvements to show for it. The silence is a side effect of Rachel Franklin's poor management of the game and the game originally being an online multiplayer game. As I said, it's been almost 2 years since Maxis went into hiding about The Sims 4. If they had anything in development that would change the perspective players have about their game, they would definitely be dropping lots of hints.

BIG thumbs up for this post. :)

I mentioned in another thread something with regards to communication between player and dev. So I'm just gonna paste it here.

Side note:

Dunno how many of you are playing the The Witcher 3. Well the game just sold passed the 4 million mark after 2 weeks of sales and is no 1 on most PC/ps4 charts and carries well over 90 in scores on Metercritic.

I am halfway through and decided to register on the Projeck CD Red forums. I wrote a post thanking them for a great game and for all the added free DLC. The surprise was that my post was answerd by one of their Dev team, thanking me for my post and also told me of the two upcoming DLC exp packs, even going so far as to express the forecast date of there release (both of them. . .one in October this year and one early Feb next year) as well as expressing that the first would add about 10 hours extra gameplay while the second would add +\- 20 hours.

This is what dev/guru interaction should be like on this forum. Simgurus could take a leaf out of their book.

Just to mention, this was an actual dev.. . . Not a forum moderator or webmaster.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I think they stopped doing things like this now because of the backlash when the game changed so abruptly the reviews and some of the established community were so angry that anything they say or do is slammed publicly. I see some awful stuff media wise and they don't want to give people more fuel to pick apart every word they say after a few poorly chosen statements. I believe they are waiting it out. They do have people buying and happy, so they take a different tactic for now. If they chose another path again for 5 it will be same .. so this might be the way it stays. Planned publicity.

This, until they have resolved the backlash - which i do believe they are working hard on behind the scenes. Once they have done what they are going to do to make things better (whatever that may be, however they choose to do it) and they feel like the "waters have settled" they'll start being more interactive.

I've never seen them just randomly announce new stuff and then release it 7 days later. It's shocking and it speaks volumes of the content of the team and PR that is going on right now. I think if toddlers and real/cars transportation and improved map flexibility (which I fear may not happen) are added back in; they'll be able to hype what's coming next. Right now, It's evident they are just trying to keep up with what's expected but not really "pushing it out there". It's honestly is whats giving me a lot of hope they are working on all of it right now because if they didn't care, they'd be flaunting these release for weeks. lol. live chats, blog sessions, ummmm what else, oh gameplay demos etc etc. LOL It was over kill in 3, and now it's like "Hey look! Next week!"... next week comes "here ya go"... "oh? a trailer... okay hold on" .... lolol

• Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member

I think the Get to Work EP had good expectation building :) But the rest no. I want to know the next GP!!!!
  • Options
    Conclue wrote: »

This, until they have resolved the backlash - which i do believe they are working hard on behind the scenes. Once they have done what they are going to do to make things better (whatever that may be, however they choose to do it) and they feel like the "waters have settled" they'll start being more interactive.

I've never seen them just randomly announce new stuff and then release it 7 days later. It's shocking and it speaks volumes of the content of the team and PR that is going on right now. I think if toddlers and real/cars transportation and improved map flexibility (which I fear may not happen) are added back in; they'll be able to hype what's coming next. Right now, It's evident they are just trying to keep up with what's expected but not really "pushing it out there". It's honestly is whats giving me a lot of hope they are working on all of it right now because if they didn't care, they'd be flaunting these release for weeks. lol. live chats, blog sessions, ummmm what else, oh gameplay demos etc etc. LOL It was over kill in 3, and now it's like "Hey look! Next week!"... next week comes "here ya go"... "oh? a trailer... okay hold on" .... lolol

I agree if they can and do add the "T" word it will settle a lot. I don't think open world will ever come.. maybe a little bigger areas but not open. The graphics won't change.. this is it. Cars I think can happen more T2 Style.. maybe. If they can settle these at least they can hype more with less backlash, but until they at least add toddlers they have to be on defensive, or they have to let time pass.
    I'm not saying they handled any of this right or wrong.. it just is what they have to work with.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    If I were them, I wouldn't have the nerve to show my face and announce a new EP/SP/GP, knowing full well what the state of the base game is.

Perhaps they realise that the hype would not be there. There are too many unhappy customers to get the build-up of excitement we always used to get in the forums.

I'm sure if they were happy and confident with their product, they would be letting out info all over the place. In my mind, their silence just goes to show that they realise, just as a lot of us do, what an unfixable shambles this version is turning out to be. Of course, I would love to be proved wrong, get everything fixed and made better and have them wow us with something new for the game...
  • Options
    See, I don't agree I love this game and I personally don't think it's a shambles at all, and many feel as I do.
    I understand the lack of openness though. It's not shame, it's spin control...
    egTcBMc.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top